Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

3 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

Brandeis waitlist post on the board do tellllllllllll. 

*freaks out a bit but tries to stay very optimistic!*

That's me. I've been reading your posts for such a long time, Gingin! I've lurked for a year and never posted, haha. Your application is much more impressive than mine (in quantity and quality)...I wouldn't be surprised if you received an acceptance. And congrats on your many acceptances thus far :)

i contacted ron eyerman at yale to ask whether all admitted students have been notified; he said "not yet" and that "official notifications" won't be sent out before the end of next week. i see this as cause for hope. though, the results board usually looks like 2-3 informal acceptances one week, 10 formal rejections the week after. so it is likely that the end of next week will actually be reds, and that there is, in fact, no cause for hope. 

1 hour ago, flatnwhite said:

i contacted ron eyerman at yale to ask whether all admitted students have been notified; he said "not yet" and that "official notifications" won't be sent out before the end of next week. i see this as cause for hope. though, the results board usually looks like 2-3 informal acceptances one week, 10 formal rejections the week after. so it is likely that the end of next week will actually be reds, and that there is, in fact, no cause for hope. 

So at least we can say we stiill have the slightest glimpse of hope remaining which is better than nothing.

Thanks for sharing the information.

8 hours ago, rollwithmarx said:

That's me. I've been reading your posts for such a long time, Gingin! I've lurked for a year and never posted, haha. Your application is much more impressive than mine (in quantity and quality)...I wouldn't be surprised if you received an acceptance. And congrats on your many acceptances thus far :)

You're so sweet! Thank you! Huge congratulations for you!! *throws confetti for you*

I sure hope they see my application in a similarly favorable light! Only time will tell! 

Maybe I will hear some news soon!

And thank you again! Seriously, your support means so much! 

13 hours ago, flatnwhite said:

@flatnwhite did you call or email? 

10 hours ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

"official" Yale decision come on Friday.

Seems so. Say, are you of the same opinion that "official" means rejections? As an admit, have you got more complete information on that front?

8 hours ago, flatnwhite said:

Seems so. Say, are you of the same opinion that "official" means rejections? As an admit, have you got more complete information on that front?

I don't really know. I kind of knew that I was in almost right after my visit, and then my POI notified me last week that I had been accepted. The next day I received an email asking if I had accepted an offer elsewhere. Someone else got one of those, as well. If you didn't get that email, it might mean you weren't accepted. But who knows? 

If anyone headed to the Wisconsin visit is already in/cutting through Minnesota and driving there and might be interested in a little coordination, let me know!

The travel stipend is a little low because I am technically nearby, so it would mean taking a bus at midnight to arrive at 5 am and leaving Madison at midnight for another overnight trip home. Just thought I'd ask :)

New poster (long-time lurker) here...

Interested in hearing from the folks waiting it out for Johns Hopkins. I suspect we'll be hearing something by Friday. Please keep me posted if any of you hear before then. Good luck to you all! There are only 6 spots for 2 concentrations -- so we'll need all the luck we can get.  

3 hours ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

@proctorvt I am so anxious to hear back from Johns Hopkins.  Luckily have a visit to Rice this week to keep my brain occupied.

@mrbmrbmrb Best of luck. It's been the third week in February the last 3 or 4 years. I expect that to continue, though there is another full week left in the month due to the oddities of the calendar this year, so we could be waiting longer.  What track did you go for? I went for PGSC, essentially the world systems/GPE track.

7 hours ago, proctorvt said:

New poster (long-time lurker) here...

Interested in hearing from the folks waiting it out for Johns Hopkins. I suspect we'll be hearing something by Friday. Please keep me posted if any of you hear before then. Good luck to you all! There are only 6 spots for 2 concentrations -- so we'll need all the luck we can get.  

Also waiting anxiously for Johns Hopkins. Any chance you know what these 2 concentrations are? And last time I've heard, their spots range from 4 to 6 according to funding. Is it settled that there are six spots this year?

2 hours ago, proctorvt said:

@mrbmrbmrb Best of luck. It's been the third week in February the last 3 or 4 years. I expect that to continue, though there is another full week left in the month due to the oddities of the calendar this year, so we could be waiting longer.  What track did you go for? I went for PGSC, essentially the world systems/GPE track.

I went for PSI so we are not in direct competition. Good luck to you as well!

I thought they stated that you didn't have to choose either of the concentrations at Johns Hopkins. I chose social inequality over global social change, but my research interest is actually a mix of both. 

Edited by KimchiRamen

Have UW-Madison folks been reached out by professors? I haven't heard from a single but I've heard from other schools. I'm thinking if this is an indication of my desirability in that department, which in turn factors into my decision-making. I would much rather join a department where professors are eager to work with me than one where I've been admitted but the faculty are lukewarm about my project. Anyone else reasoning along these lines?

I too am waiting for JHU!