Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

On 3/29/2016 at 1:17 PM, ts1493 said:

Hey there -- I also applied to the Heller social policy program (along with two sociology programs and a gerontology program!) and *just* heard back that I'm a top candidate on their wait list and asking if I wanted to be considered for admission in April. 

Good luck ^_^!! Ita-  they were way late for an initial reach out. I ended up never hearing back from them.

10 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

So, Vandy never got back to me, but I wanted to let you all know that I've officially committed to the University of Delaware!

This *might* free up a spot or funding at NC State, UC Davis, CU Boulder, and Rutgers (although probably not Rutgers; my offer was un-funded).

Congrats on Delaware !! That's great news :).

17 minutes ago, bluefoxblue said:

Accepted to UC Irvine! 

It's a late acceptance and my only acceptance so I'm trying to not go crazy and consider my options for next year. Anyone else heading to UCI?

WOW! that's awesome! what a game-changer!!! that's a great program. Good luck and congrats

Admitted off Hopkins wait list! So thrilled (and *especially* thrilled to be done with this whole waiting game). They're offering partial reimbursement if I want to come visit, which I'm definitely considering. Probably a good idea to see where I'd be spending the next 5+ years of my life before committing... 

17 hours ago, EdSocPhD said:

Admitted off Hopkins wait list! So thrilled (and *especially* thrilled to be done with this whole waiting game). They're offering partial reimbursement if I want to come visit, which I'm definitely considering. Probably a good idea to see where I'd be spending the next 5+ years of my life before committing... 

Congrats. Looks like you were ranked ahead of me. Just remember -- like I generously told all the other Hopkins admits -- Baltimore is freezing in the winter and the building in which the Soc. dept is located is known to be haunted. Don't hang around after dark. ;)

But seriously, congrats. I was told there was a bit of "gridlock" on the alternate list, so I'm glad folks made decisions to enable your admit. 

Edited by proctorvt

47 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Congrats. Looks like you were ranked ahead of me. Just remember -- like I generously told all the other Hopkins admits -- Baltimore is freezing in the winter and the building in which the Soc. dept is located is known to be haunted. Don't hang around after dark. ;)

But seriously, congrats. I was told there was a bit of "gridlock" on the alternate list, so I'm glad folks made decisions to enable your admit. 

Thanks! To be fair, I doubt it was about ranking - we seem to be from totally different areas, so my guess is that I was at the top of the PSI-ish side of the list rather than the PGSC-ish side. I'll be visiting in a few days and will make sure to keep an eye out for any ghosts in the Sociology department.

Anyway, best of luck to you!  

3 hours ago, EdSocPhD said:

Thanks! To be fair, I doubt it was about ranking - we seem to be from totally different areas, so my guess is that I was at the top of the PSI-ish side of the list rather than the PGSC-ish side. I'll be visiting in a few days and will make sure to keep an eye out for any ghosts in the Sociology department.

Anyway, best of luck to you!  

Enjoy your visit and let us know how it goes. If you don't mind an urban environment, the campus is beautiful.

10 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

Enjoy your visit and let us know how it goes. If you don't mind an urban environment, the campus is beautiful.

Hah. I'm from Manhattan and go to school in Chicago. Urban me up! 

On 4/7/2016 at 1:33 PM, proctorvt said:

Enjoy your visit and let us know how it goes.

Wanted to let all you Hopkins folks know that I just returned from my campus visit and emailed the department my acceptance form when I got home. So, I'm officially attending, assuming they don't email me back to un-admit me or something crazy like that (...I'm a bit paranoid). Good luck to everyone still waiting! 

4 hours ago, MyLife2016 said:

Finally rejected by Brandeis; that took so long. One out of two isn't bad :P. Sooooo excited about my Maryland acceptance :D.

Maryland is an EXCELLENT program!  Are you officially committing to Maryland then?? Don't feel bad about Brandeis; they are SUPER selective and only take two or three students each year (if I remember correctly). I also got rejected by Brandeis!

@EdSocPhD CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you!

On 4/13/2016 at 1:48 AM, EdSocPhD said:

Wanted to let all you Hopkins folks know that I just returned from my campus visit and emailed the department my acceptance form when I got home. So, I'm officially attending, assuming they don't email me back to un-admit me or something crazy like that (...I'm a bit paranoid). Good luck to everyone still waiting! 

Congrats. I just got word that the acceptance isn't coming through from Hopkins. They've filled all the PGSC slots. I was next in line, but in this case -- as they say -- second place is first loser.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't exceptionally bummed about it. Mostly because I've had a two year string of admissions heart breaks. This guy can't seem to catch a break.

In any case, I'll get over it. My second choice was George Mason Univ Cultural Studies PhD. They've thrown a bunch of money at me (with no work requirements) and given me total freedom in terms of research agenda. I'm actually very fortunate, but I had my heart se on Hopkins.

Now the real work begins. Good luck to all of you. Winter is coming...

• 9 months later...
On 2/13/2016 at 1:38 AM, goofylemon said:

I understood your position. To me, I have done extensive research in my fields of research and I am so reluctant to change.

I understand many people change their research interests, partly because they tailored them for their graduate program. I just want to say, I won't. I do sociology research because I **love** my fields. That's my passion. If there is any single higher-ranked program that combine family, social demography, urban and China that well, I would be happy to know.

Hey, one year passed. How are you doing at Brown? Have you ever regretted your choice?

On February 17, 2016 at 4:15 AM, SNW373 said:

Has anyone heard about funding from Michigan State yet? 

Hi! Did MSU finally offer you funding? I just got admitted into the program, but the admission letter says that "We are not able to offer you funding at this time but will update you as soon as we are able regarding this possibility." I am not quite sure what does that mean.