Rejection Thread!

School: University of Washington, Texas at Austin, NYU and Penn State U. All for M.A. degree

Area: Developmental Psy/ School Counseling

Rationalization: Lack of research/related experience, I guess. I spent a lot of time with children during my college, 2-year teaching assitant, got involved in volunteer work with kids with sensory integrative dysfunction, Autism and Down's Sydrome, taught the kids in summer/winter camp, observed Play Therapy sessions... But the professor who interviewed me said I 'have very limited experience with children'. I don't know. And maybe my SOP is not good enough. I can work on my test score a little bit more if I want.

Comments: I'm doing some reserach recently and find myself enjoy it a lot, but it's sad when the fact reminds me that I might not be able to study or work in psychology in the future:( 

Coping tactics: Execises, finding jobs and eating lol

Edited by Anniexu

I am serious considering reapplying next year. I have some questions here and hope that I can get some help. Your answer will be appreciated!!

1. About SOP. Should SOP mostly  focus  on why I love this school? That's a suggestion one advisor gave me. I doubt it. My SOP mostly focus on how much I love my major and what I have done. I do have one paragraph describing how my research interest fit the program and the faculty I choose but it seems not enough.

2.About the funding. As I'm applying for master( because I don't think I am qualified for PHD yet lol), I can't get funding in most of the situations. I would like to know how others  deal with this expense issue, taking loans, doing part-time or something else? I‘m not sure the salary my job offer( though I haven't got one yet) can cover my two years expense in the program.

3.About research experience. I'll graduate in June as a bachelor. Most of the research related jobs are only open to person with master's degree so it'll be hard for me to get more research experience to strengthen my appication. What's the suggestion?

I have read through the posts in this topic, most of you guys are amazing! Never give up hope, cheer people up, etc.

I don't know whether it's because of the culture difference, as an international student, I find it a little hard to start over with all these tests, essays and others. I also need to worry about the money thing.. I don't know how you guys going through all these. It's encouraging and I'm sure I'll be fine eventually!

Thank you for puting up with all my words- -

Edited by Anniexu

25 minutes ago, Anniexu said:

I am serious considering reapplying next year. I have some questions here and hope that I can get some help. Your answer will be appreciated!!

1. About SOP. Should SOP mostly  focus  on why I love this school? That's a suggestion one advisor gave me. I doubt it. My SOP mostly focus on how much I love my major and what I have done. I do have one paragraph describing how my research interest fit the program and the faculty I choose but it seems not enough.

2.About the funding. As I'm applying for master( because I don't think I am qualified for PHD yet lol), I can't get funding in most of the situations. I would like to know how others  deal with this expense issue, taking loans, doing part-time or something else? I‘m not sure the salary my job offer( though I haven't got one yet) can cover my two years expense in the program.

3.About research experience. I'll graduate in June as a bachelor. Most of the research related jobs are only open to person with master's degree so it'll be hard for me to get more research experience to strengthen my appication. What's the suggestion?

I have read through the posts in this topic, most of you guys are amazing! Never give up hope, cheer people up, etc.

I don't know whether it's because of the culture difference, as an international student, I find it a little hard to start over with all these tests, essays and others. I also need to worry about the money thing.. I don't know how you guys going through all these. It's encouraging and I'm sure I'll be fine eventually!

Thank you for puting up with all my words- -

Hi! For SOP, here is a great article my advisor gave me for how to break it up: 

https://cms.bsu.edu/-/media/WWW/DepartmentalContent/Psychology/Docs/PersonalStatement.pdf

that format really helped me keep a balance in my SOP. I also changed it for each program, highlighting different experiences for different programs. I got multiple offers for PhD programs, so I guess my SOP wasn't dreadful. 

For research experience, there are several research assistant/research coordinator positions available to those with a bachelors degree. Look at universities, hospitals, etc. A lot of these positions are paid, but some are not. A lot of people who are unsuccessful with their first round of grad school apps take these positions for the very reason you are describing, so there are definitely opportunities out there.

12 hours ago, Anxiousapplicant01 said:

Hi! For SOP, here is a great article my advisor gave me for how to break it up: 

https://cms.bsu.edu/-/media/WWW/DepartmentalContent/Psychology/Docs/PersonalStatement.pdf

that format really helped me keep a balance in my SOP. I also changed it for each program, highlighting different experiences for different programs. I got multiple offers for PhD programs, so I guess my SOP wasn't dreadful. 

For research experience, there are several research assistant/research coordinator positions available to those with a bachelors degree. Look at universities, hospitals, etc. A lot of these positions are paid, but some are not. A lot of people who are unsuccessful with their first round of grad school apps take these positions for the very reason you are describing, so there are definitely opportunities out there.

Thank you =)

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone planning to apply again next year, I recommend sending feedback request emails to professors where you made it farther than just submitting an application (i.e., email interview, phone/skype interview, in person interview). They can provide very helpful information and advice for your next round. In my case after sending the feedback request twice over the course of two months, it actually resulted in a request to skype interview which has now resulted in an offer just a few days before the deadline of 4/15. It's absolutely crazy how everything worked out, but it just shows that it's not over until it is over, and that persistence pays off. 

Hi, this is Kim.

Isn't it frustrating to get into grad school and pursue something you love? Reading this thread, I can feel the struggle and all the effort you have been putting into your own career. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP! Two years ago I got rejected by all schools, I cried and started to think that I wasn't worth it. Last year I didn't make the cut and I was depressed. It got worse since everyone was telling me to quit and stick with my Bachelor degree. I don't have a very high GPA btw, my GRE was acceptable (I'm an international student). At the time I started to think negatively and was about to quit. Sometimes I felt like I was getting used to being rejected it doesn't really hurt that much. 

Even when you failed or you feel like you want to quit, KEEP REMIND YOURSELF NOT TO AND STAY ON TRACK. Not everyone has the same advantage. I understand some have it easier than others. This is why we should prove that we are worth it. Life is a bitch. She tried to take you down and she may have won a few times. But in the end, bitches cannot win unless you let her! Yes you were rejected, cry your eyes out, then get back on track! Please!

This year I applied for one grad school only because I love that program and that I want to study there. I made it! Be like a pug dog who doesn't know how and when to quit! I am sure you will get what you want eventually! I'm sending all the best wishes to you who will apply next year and BEST OF LUCK!

Rejected from UOttawa and OISE.  Was completely expected.  I realize after having gone through this process that I really do need more hands-on research experience that wasn't available to me due to the fact I work full-time, etc.  I am so excited to start a master's program to get that experience and try again in two years.

Was rejected yesterday by CSUN's Experimental Program.  I Believe it has something to do with the mentors I chose, who were from the clinical program. I am still waiting to hear back from Long Beach State & I still have my backup school as a option.

1st cycle for clinical psych PhD programs- rejected to all.

I applied to all top-tier programs (I was probably a bit too confident) and I had very specific interests which maybe I articulated too much in my statement. But I received positive feedback and can always improve my application for next cycle.

I was anxious during the application cycle but now I'm thinking...eh as long as I'm alive, anything is possible. Michael Jordan missed over 300 important shots. I have a great and great paying job. More importantly, I know my priorities and what I want out of life, which is an achievement in itself. 

Good coping tactic: Exercise, eat healthy and take care of yourself! I've just been very focused on myself, esp. Cooking and eating organic/non-GMO food since the application cycle which is doing wonders to my stamina and energy levels ? I'm thinking of running a half marathon for the first time soon

Edited by buttercup8d

On 4/12/2016 at 8:33 PM, ClinicalApplicant07 said:

For everyone planning to apply again next year, I recommend sending feedback request emails to professors where you made it farther than just submitting an application (i.e., email interview, phone/skype interview, in person interview). They can provide very helpful information and advice for your next round. In my case after sending the feedback request twice over the course of two months, it actually resulted in a request to skype interview which has now resulted in an offer just a few days before the deadline of 4/15. It's absolutely crazy how everything worked out, but it just shows that it's not over until it is over, and that persistence pays off. 

Congratulations!  I've never heard of anything like this happening and am so glad it did.  

16 hours ago, ClinicalApplicant07 said:

Thank you so much! My mentor said the same thing about never hearing about this happening so last minute to a student. I'm honestly still in shock. 

I hear ya!  Let yourself sit in shock for a week or two, I did.  Then when it wears off you can begin planning and be excited!

On 1/14/2016 at 7:16 AM, vandsa02 said:

I've read things that say MAs are turn offs for certain programs (at least in clinical) because some programs like to train people all the way through. It sucks, I'm sure. 

Did you hear from USF and Drexel directly? I applied to both of those, but I haven't heard anything from either program, which kind of freaks me out (but also not knowing means I can continue to live in ignorance of what is probably impending rejection...)

Guys, do you know if a MA is a turn off when you are an international applicant and you have a Bachelor's Degree of 3 years instead of 4? I intend to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs, but I am enrolled at a MA in Clinical Psych and CBT in my country. 

On 4/25/2016 at 10:45 AM, Madalina said:

Guys, do you know if a MA is a turn off when you are an international applicant and you have a Bachelor's Degree of 3 years instead of 4? I intend to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs, but I am enrolled at a MA in Clinical Psych and CBT in my country. 

In the book, the "Insiders Guide to Clinical and Counseling Psychology Programs" (which I highly highly recommend), it lists the percentage of incoming students for each school who have their masters. That can help you decide which programs to apply to. From my interviews, I found that schools with a lower percentage had many more restrictions on what they would accept from your masters degree, and schools with a higher percentage of incoming students with their masters were more open to masters students and accepting courses/thesis from your previous program. That book also has a scoring system to score yourself against prospective programs and that system predicted where I would get my interviews, so I highly recommend that book :) Good luck!  

On 1/13/2016 at 11:37 AM, FacelessMage said:

School: Texas A&M, Tech Tech, Drexel, University of South Florida, Ryerson Universiy, Simon Fraser University

Area: Clinical psychology

Rationalization: I don't even know, probably more of the "too many qualified applicants" stuff they feed us every year

Comment: Honestly, I'm very upset. I put in so much work in the past year to make myself more competitive (have around 3 more publications than last year, plus 2 more conference publications), and it feels like it was for nothing

Coping tactics: Sleep, binge watching various shows, working on another publication

You applied to quite a few schools I'm interested in when I apply this upcoming year. Did you talk to any professors you were interested in working with before applying to get a feeling for what they were looking for in a potential student?

7 hours ago, forensicpsych2017 said:

You applied to quite a few schools I'm interested in when I apply this upcoming year. Did you talk to any professors you were interested in working with before applying to get a feeling for what they were looking for in a potential student?

I met with the majority of the profs I was interested in working with at conferences prior to applying (I got some good face to face time with them). I had also emailed all of them asking if they were accepting students for the upcoming year. 

2 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

I met with the majority of the profs I was interested in working with at conferences prior to applying (I got some good face to face time with them). I had also emailed all of them asking if they were accepting students for the upcoming year. 

Oh okay! I've talked in depth and met with my POI at Tech and really clicked but I haven't gotten to asking others since it feels like its too early to ask if they are taking a student. How early would you recommend on emailing them? Sorry for all the q's!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

It took McMaster SIX.MONTHS. to send me a formal rejection.  I'm packed and halfway to the program I did accept and got this rejection email today.  

Heheh I had a similar experience with a different program.  Completely unacceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/20/2016 at 10:32 PM, pittpanther said:

I got an email from Michigan and Buffalo.  I called the departments at South Carolina, George Mason, and Kansas and all interview invites have been extended and applications are no longer being reviewed. UNC Chapel Hill posted on their website today that all invites have been extended.  Oregon has sent out interview invites, but is still reviewing applications, so that is just speculation. I have not been able to confirm anything with VCU, but it appears all interview invites have been extended.

May I ask which program you applied to at USC? 

• 1 year later...