"Prereqs" For Molecular Biology Programs?

vnatch

Hello, 

I was wondering about the importance of undergrad classes that may be considered as "prereqs" for many molecular/cell bio grad school programs. I'm currently a third year student, and as most of my undergrad degree requirements are complete, I can focus on lots of fun bio electives to take. However, after browsing through the websites of some grad programs I'm interested in applying to, most of them casually list areas of coursework that are recommended for me to have taken before starting their program. I was wondering, is this list just some suggestive coursework or is it more mandatory? In my case, I was very surprised when I saw that most programs I'm applying to list Physical Chemistry as suggested coursework. I absolutely hate physics and I only really like chemistry because of the applications it has for bio, so naturally the thought of taking a chemistry course through the lens of a physicist is terrifying. It also seems rather unhelpful in terms of strengthening the knowledge I will need for bio grad programs. I guess my question is, will my chances of getting into programs be reduced if I opt out of P Chem? Or is their coursework merely a suggestion that doesn't actually hold much importance in the admissions process? 

I think it really might depend on the school/program, but one of the schools I applied to listed their prereqs right on their admissions section of the website.  More than anything I think they want to make sure you come in with at least a solid base knowledge of your subject and you show you can be competitive in upper divs.  

Here is a copy/past from that one schools website

"Applicants should have adequate undergraduate course work in:

Chemistry (two years)

• Physics (one year)
  • Calculus (one year)
  • Statistics (one course)
  • Biochemistry (one course)
  • Biology (two years, including a course in genetics and two courses among cell, molecular, or developmental biology)"

It's going to depend on the program. 

If the program has a strong basis in biophysics, for example, physical chemistry would be extremely helpful. Similarly, if there's any interest in modeling biological systems. 

Stats can be useful or not, depending on your interests. If you have a strong math background, you can just teach yourself what you need pretty easily. 

Also, not to be picky, but physical chemistry isn't chemistry through the lens of a physicist. That would be chemical physics. Physical chemistry is more of a look at physics through chemist's lens. Kinda like biological chemistry vs chemical biology. Similar areas of study, vastly different viewpoints.

• 2 months later...

Well in any case, do you think it would be appropriate to email the programs I am considering to ask them how necessary P Chem is? The truth is that I am just too bored by physics to take it (and I'd much rather fill up that time slot with a more applicable or interesting bio class), but I'm not sure if I should state that in the email lol. I may just say something like my schedule conflicting with the time slot for that course. Either way, it is acceptable to email programs to ask about this, right?

Honestly? I think you are putting too much focus on this one class. A recommendation is not a requirement, and they will not count it against you if you don't have it. I don't think there would be a problem asking how important it is for admission, however. Just be sure you don't make it sound like it is because you do not want yo take it, because that will make you immature and unmotivated. Honestly, your best bet is to say something like "I noticed that you recommend p-Chem as a prerequisite. How important do you consider this class in order to be considered for admission?" And end if there with a thank you. Do not elaborate, just politely ask. 

Edited by kimmibeans

I took both semesters of P chem and I don't think you really need it.  As mentioned before, you could ask if you want to.  If you are interested in structural biology, it might be a good idea just to be able to understand the fundamentals of biophysics.  But I get it!  I hate physics, hate my biophysics class, and generally want nothing to do with physics.  BUT.  I did enjoy my quantum mechanics class quite a bit.  Thermodynamics, which was my 2nd semester of P chem, was really boring.  Honestly, I found taking specialized biology courses and grad courses much more helpful.  Immunology, medical microbiology, virology, molecular signaling, molecular genetics.  These high level classes will introduce you deeply to areas of molecular biology and, if you take a grad level course, you will probably get introduced to literature review which is one of the most important skills outside of experimentation and science you will learn.  HIGHLY recommend finding a publication-based class in an area of your interest to try your hand at what journal clubs, grad classes, and researching for your thesis will be like.  I took 4 before applying and it really helped me to explain what I liked and why, even if it was outside of what I currently do.  (FYI I took immunology, molecular signaling, molecular genetics, and nucleic acid  biochemistry as my publication-based classes before applications.  They were also graduate level.  I took like 9 grad classes total, I think, before application.  But that's completely over the top!)

1 hour ago, biochemgirl67 said:

HIGHLY recommend finding a publication-based class in an area of your interest to try your hand at what journal clubs, grad classes, and researching for your thesis will be like.  I took 4 before applying and it really helped me to explain what I liked and why, even if it was outside of what I currently do.  

I second this (I had graduate-level biophysics, biochemistry, and microbial genetics courses with literature components). This is excellent advice.

I agree with @biochemgirl67's advice that seminar based bio classes are probably going to be more helpful for a molec/cell bio graduate program than p-chem. I mean, for what anecdotal evidence is worth, I know several people in my cohort that haven't even taken orgo or biochem and are doing just fine, not to mention obviously got into the program despite those classes being highly recommended undergrad courses. I wouldn't dwell on p-chem unless you truly feel that learning it will be useful for your intended field of research (say, if you were interested in biophysics). I would focus more on strengthening my application in other ways, like, for example, taking bio classes you'd be more likely to enjoy and do well in!