Fall 2016 Admits Computer Science

Shy101

Hey Everyone,

We have all finally (almost) finished applying and the admits have started coming in!! Please do share here if you have received a grad school admit, from which college, and when you received the notification email from them, so that everyone else can get an idea too! Also this would be a great way to find batch-mates! :) If you can share your profile too, it would be a plus!! Congratulations in advance!! :D

Edited by Shy101

7 minutes ago, csphdapplicant123 said:

People who have had acceptances/interviews at UCSD/Columbia, when did you apply? And what area of CS are you in? 

I doubt the entry you're referring to was an official admittance. They probably just heard from a professor that wanted them in their lab. I'm not admitted to Columbia, but a professor did contact me. I talked to her on Thursday of last week and it went well.

I also applied to UCSD but didn't hear anything... My areas of interest are in Machine Learning/Vision and Computational Biology.

5 hours ago, grump said:

I doubt the entry you're referring to was an official admittance. They probably just heard from a professor that wanted them in their lab. I'm not admitted to Columbia, but a professor did contact me. I talked to her on Thursday of last week and it went well.

I also applied to UCSD but didn't hear anything... My areas of interest are in Machine Learning/Vision and Computational Biology.

People seem to be claiming it was official acceptances. Looking at past results, UCSD seems to accept in waves. When did you apply to Columbia?

30 minutes ago, csphdapplicant123 said:

People seem to be claiming it was official acceptances. Looking at past results, UCSD seems to accept in waves. When did you apply to Columbia?

For Fall 2016, it just looks like one person got "accepted". And based on my discussion with said professor, I don't think there have been any official acceptances offered by I could be wrong... :) I submitted my application on December 3rd to answer your question.

And I hope you're right about UCSD! 

What area are you interested in?

UCSD does send out rolling based admissions. I remember seeing an email where they mention it.

Also, I have seen a lot of "official" acceptances from UIUC. Could any of you guys share if the offers were direct or after an interview ?

Thanks

On 1/13/2016 at 8:54 PM, mmacha said:

UCSD does send out rolling based admissions. I remember seeing an email where they mention it.

Also, I have seen a lot of "official" acceptances from UIUC. Could any of you guys share if the offers were direct or after an interview ?

Thanks

Hi! I got a direct offer (without any interview) from UIUC (CS PhD); my POI first contacted me informing me of my acceptance (I've worked with him before), and I got the email from them 2-3 days after. 

6 hours ago, gogogousa said:

I also applied for a PhD to Columbia (csphdapplicant123 and grump) but for now no news.

However, I had interviews with TAustin, Michigan, UCI. :)

Can you tell me about the details of interview with UCI? And also tell who took your interview and if you mentioned him in your SOP? What area are you interested in and what is your GPA/research experience?

On 1/13/2016 at 9:41 PM, grump said:

For Fall 2016, it just looks like one person got "accepted". And based on my discussion with said professor, I don't think there have been any official acceptances offered by I could be wrong... :) I submitted my application on December 3rd to answer your question.

And I hope you're right about UCSD! 

What area are you interested in?

I am interested in Computer Graphics. People who have interviews with Berkeley and CMU, what areas are you in interested in?

4 hours ago, toxicdevil said:

Can you tell me about the details of interview with UCI? And also tell who took your interview and if you mentioned him in your SOP? What area are you interested in and what is your GPA/research experience?

Ok, I will send you all the information. Give me some days. Have you already had an interview with UCI?

Had an interaction/interview with PoI at UWashington yesterday (over phone). He said first batch of admits would be sent by this Friday (notified at the dept. level), and another batch would be done sometime around Feb 2nd week. Really nervous right now! He told me that he liked my application, and our interests match. But he didn't say outright "admit". Don't know how much to read into the conversation, but it is safe to assume that I will not get any sleep this week.

On 1/19/2016 at 10:33 AM, robot_control said:

Had an interaction/interview with PoI at UWash yesterday (over phone). He said first batch of admits would be sent by this Friday (notified at the dept. level), and another batch would be done sometime around Feb 2nd week. Really nervous right now! He told me that he liked my application, and our interests match. But he didn't say outright "admit". Don't know how much to read into the conversation, but it is safe to assume that I will not get any sleep this week.

Uaoh, good for you. WashU is my top choice. I hope to receive some news in these days!

7 hours ago, Shy101 said:

@gogogousa could u tell me if you hear back from UCI and UTAustin? Do they call students who don't live in the states, for phone interviews???

I have been interviewed by phone from those universities because I don't live in the US.

Edited by gogogousa