USC / University of Southern California

goal_digger

21 hours ago, goal_digger said:

Hi! Just wondering who else applied for their MSW at USC :)

I'm currently waiting to hear back! I did the priority deadline so hopefully I get an answer by February. 

Hey there!

I also applied to the MSW program at USC and am getting more impatient by the day! I'm hoping we hear back soon.

Can I ask when you applied and what your stats were? I applied in November and received an email the first week of December saying my app was complete and being reviewed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Double major-Sociology & Social Policy and Public Service

3.586 GPA Cumulative, 3.567 GPA for Sociology, 3.692 GPA for SPPS

6 months interning with 2-1-1 OC (helps people connect to social services in the community)

8 months interning with a foster care agency

I submitted 3 recommendations: one from the CEO of the foster care agency, a social worker, and a professor.

I'm dying from the anticipation, this is my dream school so I'm going to be pretty bummed if I don't get in :/

I applied for priority deadline so I think it was around December 3rd or something. Also, when I went to an info meeting the lady said that USC uses your highest GPA possible so if your major GPA is higher than your cumulative they will use that highest one. Oh and I've been stalking usc msw hastags on IG to see when people got their acceptance letters and the soonest one I saw was dated around Feb 20th.....

Edited by goal_digger

what is the hashtag you speak of??? So I guess it might be another month. Hopefully it will be sooner!!! I don't know about the cost just yet, but I am hoping to get some scholarships to offset the cost if I get in. I also did NOT know about them using the highest GPA. That makes me feel a lot better, because my major GPA is 3.8

After obsessively browsing this site, I was able to get some helpful information on the old SC threads regarding admissions.

USC informed early admission applicants(deadline was 9/10/14) of their decision status on 1/16 last fall. 

Applicants who applied after that deadline heard as early as 1/23. 

The trend seemed to be that admissions decisions were sent via email on Fridays.

I applied a week after the early deadline and was notified that my app was complete and in for review in early December. I'm  hoping EA admits are notified today so I can justify constantly refreshing my inbox  every Friday after that.

Let's be sure to keep this little support group going, as I'm sure the wait is just as agonizing for everyone. I'll be sure to update you all as soon as I hear anything!

11 minutes ago, vts619 said:

After obsessively browsing this site, I was able to get some helpful information on the old SC threads regarding admissions.

USC informed early admission applicants(deadline was 9/10/14) of their decision status on 1/16 last fall. 

Applicants who applied after that deadline heard as early as 1/23. 

The trend seemed to be that admissions decisions were sent via email on Fridays.

I applied a week after the early deadline and was notified that my app was complete and in for review in early December. I'm  hoping EA admits are notified today so I can justify constantly refreshing my inbox  every Friday after that.

Let's be sure to keep this little support group going, as I'm sure the wait is just as agonizing for everyone. I'll be sure to update you all as soon as I hear anything!

good to know, thanks! I won't keep obsessively checking everyday then! Hopefully we all hear something soon! Its been quiet around here this year.

I'm also hoping to get scholarships! The lady at the info session said the earlier you apply the better chance you have at getting scholarships and financial aid. If I don't get any I'm just going to take out loans and then go the public service loan forgiveness route. 

What area of study or concentration did you all want to do?

5 hours ago, goal_digger said:

Same :) I'm really interested in a career as a medical/healthcare social worker.

Well good luck! And I sincerely hope the both of us hear something SOON :) 

Hey Ladies!! I submitted my application Dec 10th.... My community college said they mailed out the transcripts on Jan 7th but USC still hasn't received them.... I'm getting my stressed out... How am I supposed to get my acceptance email soon without them?! Ugh... 

25 minutes ago, MrsKozee said:

Hey Ladies!! I submitted my application Dec 10th.... My community college said they mailed out the transcripts on Jan 7th but USC still hasn't received them.... I'm getting my stressed out... How am I supposed to get my acceptance email soon without them?! Ugh... 

I actually personally mailed my transcripts to the school. That way I had a peace of mind that they got there. USC should have gotten them by now. If it was me, I would order another one and take it to the school myself. That's what I did for my cal state transcript. Since your in La Crescenta it's not too far, but I would suggest taking the metro because they have a stop literally right in front of the school. That way you don't have to deal with traffic. 

Excellent idea; thanks!! Now getting the day off might be harder than it should be... I work for the county; haha... I will try mailing them one more time! USC is going to do a reverse search and see if they could locate them by school and then name... She's going to call me back today or tomorrow... I had a different last name back then... Hope it works out!

On January 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM, vts619 said:

Have any early admission applicants heard anything yet?

Nope! Me and a friend both submitted early. They actually had an issue with their system adding schools you have never been on the application so I had to jump through hoops to get that fixed before my application was considered complete. Took almost 3 weeks after the early deadline to get it fixed. I don't think my friend had any issues, but neither of us have heard anything yet. I am too nervous to call and ask LOL has anyone else heard back?

Hi everyone!

Still no word :( 

So I sent my application in for the priority deadline which I think was Dec. 7th. On January 5th I received an e-mail stating it was under faculty review. That is all. 

According to last year's USC hopefuls people began getting acceptance e-mails in late January, but we're already entering Feb. so I think we should know in a matter of weeks!

On January 31, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Jessa said:

Nope! Me and a friend both submitted early. They actually had an issue with their system adding schools you have never been on the application so I had to jump through hoops to get that fixed before my application was considered complete. Took almost 3 weeks after the early deadline to get it fixed. I don't think my friend had any issues, but neither of us have heard anything yet. I am too nervous to call and ask LOL has anyone else heard back?

I got an email from them this morning that my application was being processed so I figured I would call and make sure all of my transcripts and documents were in. The same thing happened to my application where they said they were missing transcripts from a school I had never been to. I wonder how long it'll take from here on... 

7 minutes ago, MSWinmyfuture said:

I got an email from them this morning that my application was being processed so I figured I would call and make sure all of my transcripts and documents were in. The same thing happened to my application where they said they were missing transcripts from a school I had never been to. I wonder how long it'll take from here on... 

@MSWinmyfuture When did you send in your application? This wait is killing me!! 

UPDATE:

I JUST RECEIVED AN EMAIL WITH THE HEADLINE "Welcome to the USC School of Social Work" STATING:

This letter serves as a notification of your ‘Lacking Degree Verification’ hold. At the time of your admission, your official transcript did not reflect completion of your bachelor’s degree.

In order to continue in the MSW program, you will need to submit an official transcript that confirms the completion of your bachelor’s degree. The deadline to submit your official transcript to the University Degree Progress Office is Monday, August 22th, 2016. Failure to meet this deadline may result in withdrawal from the MSW program.

IDK IF THIS MEANS I GOT IN?!!!

At the time of your admission, your official transcript did not reflect completion of your bachelor’s degree".

This sentence makes it sound like you got in! They just need you to mail your final transcripts once your degree is complete. Congrats!

I just got off the phone and she didn't give me an answer all she said was "You will probably be getting a couple e-mails" I said "So does this mean I got in?" and she said "You'll have to wait for more emails" 

I'M DYING!!!! Literally in tears rn.

@goal_digger It looks like their emails to you are out of order, but from the looks of things, you are a Trojan!! Congrats, that's amazing!!!

I also applied by the priority deadline so I'm hoping this means that the rest of us don't have to wait much longer :)  

Edited by vts619