Computer Science PhD: U of Edinburgh or U of Ottawa

Amirak

Hi.
I'm an international student and I plan to stay abroad after PhD. 
Considering the university rankings, immigration policies and the job market after graduation, which one should I choose? U of Edinburgh in the UK (ranked under 20) or U of Ottawa in the Canada (ranked about 300)? Why?
Thank you.
Edited by Amirak

Hi, 

I am not sure if the ranking actually matters in your case because first, University of Ottawa is among the top universities in Canada. So if you are going to stay in Canada, the Immigration office will consider you graduating from their top universities. Second, the main fact that you need to take into consideration is the country need for immigrants; Canada welcomes more immigrants than UK, therefore, you have more chances to stay in Canada after graduation. But it also depends on finding a suitable job right after. 

Thank you very much.

I know the immigration is easier in Canada. But the ranking of the Edinburgh university and its reputation is much higher. Also, some say job market in UK is better than Canada...

It's a confusing trade-off :-(

Edited by Amirak