UNC MSW Fall 2016 Thread

Hi! I'm glad to see this thread exists! I am in the same boat, applied 12/15 and now nervously awaiting the results. Would you mind posting your stats? I'm mostly worried about the GRE (wondering how much emphasis they put on it, especially the math section). Thanks and good luck! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the GRE scores. Their website says the average for both verbal and quant is 50th percentile. They didn't even mention the writing section. If I remember correctly from the info sessions, they really place more emphasis on the SOP and LORs. Good luck, TeaTime!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kayaker! Their site has a wealth of knowledge (I'm sure you've devoured it already), so I don't have much to add. I was so impressed at the info session last November, though. More than anything, I felt like the program presents students with many different opportunities (micro v. macro and numerous certifications), versus boxing people in on particular tracks. 

Chapel Hill is a great place to live, too. The neighborhood around the SSW is very beautiful (lots of grad student housing, too) and a very short walk to Franklin Street and Carrboro. Hope you enjoy your tour. :) 

I am still waiting to hear back, but really, really hope I get in. I don't know anything about UT, but do love living in a coastal state. NC will give you the beach and mountains, and RDU is close for travel. I'm originally from Southern California but have really come to enjoy living here. I'll keep my fingers crossed for being classmates. ;)

Oh! I will say that people generally start looking for housing around this time, so if you can look at a few places or check out some neighborhoods while you're hear that may be good. Craigslist is kind of overwhelming, but chapelhillrent.com is a bit more user-friendly. Millsrentals.com has some good stuff, too! 

Hey @kayaker7235 - congrats on being admitted to the SSW! I assume you might be in town to interview for the MPA program as well? I have an interview next Friday and am potentially interested in the dual degree program (though not sure if the cost of an additional year is worthwhile). Supposedly there will be some social events during the interview weekend; PM me if you want to try to meet up. I've studied, worked, lived in Chapel Hill/Durham for the past 9 years.

You heard so quickly @caitmcguire! My application was complete on December 15th and I still haven't heard :( 

I'm getting very anxious since I haven't heard from any of the four programs I've applied to. Congrats on your acceptance and hopefully the rest of us will hear good news soon! :)