UNC MSW Fall 2016 Thread

Congrats, @caitmcguire

@TeaTime23, I'm also trying not to be too anxious. I remember from the info session that they said to not read into it too much even if you haven't heard by the end of February. Easier said than done, I know. Grad Cafe seems to be our blessing and our curse! 

Let's see if we get some good news today. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from UNC yet? I've heard from 2 of my 4 schools, and am anxiously waiting for UNC's decision since it is my top! I also need to reply by February 26th to BU so I'm hoping I hear from my other two before that, or else I will need to see if I can get an extension. Continued good luck to all!

I got in!! Got the email around 11:00 am on 2/16. I am stunned.

Stats: 3.21 undergraduate GPA,

GRE 90+% verbal, 45% quant, 5.0 writing,

Out of school for 10 years, work experience, guardian ad litem experience for 2 years, Ronald McDonald House hospital room, medical social work experience with family.

I really can't believe it. So excited!!

2 hours ago, TeaTime23 said:

@anothercoffeeplease Congrats!! That is so awesome and totally deserved! Did they happen to give you any scholarships with your admission letter or do you have to wait to hear? I hope I will get good news soon! ☺️

Thank you!! I believe scholarship info/financial aid is a separate process. Letter is from the grad admissions office and says it is handled through the SSW. I'll double check when I can access it again and get back to you. 

I hope you hear soon!

Edited by anothercoffeeplease

Congrats @anothercoffeeplease! Such great news :)

According to the email the SSW sent along after my application was submitted, the scholarship application is due April 1 with decisions made in mid-April (I haven't submitted it yet). Too bad that timeline is so late because I think I'm going to have to make decisions without knowing those results based on deadlines for my other top school. Though I'm in state, so the cost is reasonable without scholarships. In general I don't get the impression that UNC SSW distributes a ton of aid in comparison to other schools anyway.

That's the impression I got also--not a ton of aid. However, they do have some grants available for people in the PrimeCare program: http://ssw.unc.edu/contact2/2014/11/10-msw-students-begin-uncs-first-integrated-healthcare-internships/

The SSW also just relieved a $1M gift, part of which is intended to fund scholarships. http://uncnews.unc.edu/2015/11/18/unc-school-of-social-work-receives-1-million-gift-to-support-students-faculty-and-innovation-2/

But like @ljo377 said, they were clear at the info session that they don't have a ton of money to throw around. 

My residency status is currently "undetermined" so I need to start an appeal. I went to undergrad out-of-state but have lived here for almost 5 years and meet their additional residency requirements, so I hope the process is easy and I can get the in-state tuition rate. 

5 hours ago, anothercoffeeplease said:

That's the impression I got also--not a ton of aid. However, they do have some grants available for people in the PrimeCare program: http://ssw.unc.edu/contact2/2014/11/10-msw-students-begin-uncs-first-integrated-healthcare-internships/

The SSW also just relieved a $1M gift, part of which is intended to fund scholarships. http://uncnews.unc.edu/2015/11/18/unc-school-of-social-work-receives-1-million-gift-to-support-students-faculty-and-innovation-2/

But like @ljo377 said, they were clear at the info session that they don't have a ton of money to throw around. 

My residency status is currently "undetermined" so I need to start an appeal. I went to undergrad out-of-state but have lived here for almost 5 years and meet their additional residency requirements, so I hope the process is easy and I can get the in-state tuition rate. 

My residency status was "undetermined" as well. I am a North Carolinian born and bred but have been out of state for undergrad. I'm still claimed as a dependent on my parents' taxes so that alone makes me eligible for residency status. I think the residency application should be pretty straightforward, as long as you can prove at least one of the residency requirements with documentation. 

17 hours ago, TeaTime23 said:

For anyone else who may be anxiously awaiting UNC- I called them today and they said everyone would hear by mid-end of next week! 

Thank goodness! The wait has been killing me. Thanks for sharing this news! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

I found out I got accepted today! Interestingly, I found out through the Welcome Weekend email. They said that if you haven't gotten your official letter yet (which I hadn't), it would come within the week (through email). I also got "undetermined" residency status which is weird because i've only ever lived outside the state for 3 months and that was in 2013...welp i hope they grant me residency when i reapply...since this is...my only residence

14 hours ago, juliarhm said:

I found out I got accepted today! Interestingly, I found out through the Welcome Weekend email. They said that if you haven't gotten your official letter yet (which I hadn't), it would come within the week (through email). I also got "undetermined" residency status which is weird because i've only ever lived outside the state for 3 months and that was in 2013...welp i hope they grant me residency when i reapply...since this is...my only residence

Yikes - I didn't get a welcome weekend email... wonder if that means bad news. Congrats @juliarhm!

Yeah, I thought it was strange that they sent the Welcome Weekend email that sounded like some people receiving it hadn't actually been officially accepted yet! I also applied to the public administration program and am waiting to hear back (probably not until mid-March as they have another interview weekend this weekend). Right now I'm leaning more toward the MPA than the MSW if I attend UNC (and if I get into the School of Government) because I have heard mixed feedback on UNC SSW's macro program. Let me know if you have thoughts on this!

Hope all who are still waiting hear the good news soon!

Anybody heard anything yet? 

I emailed last week and inquired about when we could expect to hear (I was submitting scholarship applications that wanted to know by March 1st) and I was told I would know by March 1st, i.e. yesterday. Still waiting... 

By now I've actually accepted my admission and enrolled in the program but still no official acceptance email...lol

I wouldn't read too much into anything- getting a certain email, not getting a certain email...these things are just unpredictable. Hope everyone gets good news soon!

I decided to give up on UNC! Two weeks ago they said "you'll hear by end of next week" at the end of that week when I still hadn't heard, I called again and they said again "you'll hear at the end of next week." Boston College gave me half tuition in scholarship and needed a response by this week so I decided to go for it without hearing from UNC! With the scholarship, BC will be much cheaper than attending UNC (out of state resident) so I am very happy with my decision! Wish you all the best in your careers and thanks for all the good lucks! :)

Hello all! Congrats to all that got into UNC or any of the other schools they applied to. I actually applied to UNC's MSW program this year and was rejected from the 2 year program, but am still being considered for the 3 year (I am not holding my breath, though). Anyways, I am planning to apply again next year if I am not accepted to the 3 year program, but I have a question for you all. A bit of background context: I was actually pretty surprised that I did not get into the program. I graduated from UNC in 2014, majored in a social-work field, graduated with a 3.75 GPA + a 4.0 major GPA. I also had relevant volunteer experiences (although I have never worked full-time in the field). Since getting out of school, I have had one part-time volunteer experience in a related field, but have been working in a sales-related field for about a year (so not a lot of post grad social work-related experience). As far as my GRE goes, my score was in the 87th percentile for reading and the 48th percentile for math. Overall, what is the most important part of the application to the admissions committee? Also, does anyone know or have experience with reapplying or asking the committee to give them feedback on their application? I can think of a few things that I can do to make my application stronger (get more experience, find more relevant recommenders, higher GRE scores) but I feel like my application was fairly strong so to a certain extent I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here. I wasn't even wait listed for the program, so I feel like my application must have been pretty far off the mark, but I'm not sure why. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated :)