Stanford EE Fall 2016

Edotdl

I saw a few more results on the survey for Stanford EE Skype/phone interviews. Just though I'd start this thread so we can discuss/hypothesize what the interviews mean or just chat in general.

4 minutes ago, Liwei said:

Well, I think it is just a normal chat. The professor told me the interview was just appointted by the committee. We just talked about 10 mins.

That helps relieve some stress. Would you mind sharing what you guys talked about? Was the professor listed in your SOP/in a related research area? Thanks.

Btw, congrats and good luck with the rest of your interviews - if you have any more.

2 hours ago, Edotdl said:

That helps relieve some stress. Would you mind sharing what you guys talked about? Was the professor listed in your SOP/in a related research area? Thanks.

Btw, congrats and good luck with the rest of your interviews - if you have any more.

I have got two interviews from Stanford, and this is the first one. He just aksed me why pursue PhD, favorite course, and other schools I have applied.

The second one will be 3 o'clock tomorrow:(. Both professors are not in my SOP. 

2 minutes ago, Liwei said:

I have got two interviews from Stanford, and this is the first one. He just aksed me why pursue PhD, favorite course, and other schools I have applied.

The second one will be 3 o'clock tomorrow:(. Both professors are not in my SOP. 

Interesting. Thanks for the response. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes! I have my second one Thursday and the last one next week.

14 hours ago, Edotdl said:

Interesting. Thanks for the response. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how it goes! I have my second one Thursday and the last one next week.

OK, I have finished. It is really strange that the second professor cannot reach me by phone (the first interview is on telephone successfully). After receiving a message from mobile operator, I called him back. Due to wasted time, we just talked 7 mins (he has another interview), and he asked me about why choose Stanford. I really do not know whether this phone call problem has bad effect on my application.

Hi! I am done with my interview (with POI, have one more). It went well I guess, I asked him about funding opportunities at Stanford. He was hesitant to comment on funding, but assured me that if I am selected and do good research I wouldn't have to worry about funding (kinda vague answer). Anyways, does anyone have any idea regarding funding options like Stanford graduate fellowship, or 3-quarter fellowship? when they'll be announced e.t.c.?

Based on your interview experiences, does anybody know if each interviewer only reviewed a student for his/her research or if the 3 interviews were additions to the overall evaluations? In other words, what should I make of one interview going really really well and another very awful?      

56 minutes ago, arowshan said:

Based on your interview experiences, does anybody know if each interviewer only reviewed a student for his/her research or if the 3 interviews were additions to the overall evaluations? In other words, what should I make of one interview going really really well and another very awful?      

I was told that the interviews were part of the standard procedure, so I think the interviews were additions to the overall evaluation.

0401239Teddychip8Appl3&!&

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, monkey_luffy said:

I read somewhere that last year they selected around 100 PhD and 120 MS students.

~100 were admitted or ~100 were eventually registered? Do they interview MS applicants?

Edited by qqqqqq