Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

1 hour ago, morningjunky said:

Do you know (based on anecdotal experience) how much funding is usually given to students? I'm considering Columbia, but it doesn't seem like they give incoming students any more than around 16-20K annually in scholarships, work-study and other forms of financial assistance (outside of loans). Thank you!

From my experience it's been around 20k a year, some have more some less. I think mine started there and I got more in my second year. They also tend to give more work study as the year goes on whenever they have left over funds. But the work study has been nice because it's very helpful getting money outright, similar to a paycheck for field. 

CU was the best scholarship I received, I went to a state school but was out of state for undergrad and that cost more than my grad school so it worked for me. But I know everyone's different and I think the curriculum is very similar wherever you go, so if finances are going to cause you more stress than it's worth, go to a cheaper school. For me, knowing I want to practice outside of NYC eventually, the name and it being the second cheapest school I got into (with scholarships obviously), it was worth it. 

21 hours ago, KatFreeLee said:

I think that the send out acceptance letters in waves, so don't feel discouraged yet! I would keep checking throughout this week. I hope that you get in!

thank you for your encouragement! Today has been pretty quiet... and I called CU this morning and the person just said: "results go out this week" and hung up on me.. Quite rude.. but I suppose they are swamped with phone calls and emails too... 

Hi everyone, 

Congratulations on everyone's acceptance. And to those who have not heard, I know what the wait feels like!  

I received my acceptance via email around 530pm today for the reduced residency program. I applied 1/4 but my application was completed towards the end of January (was waiting on a LOR). 

Good luck to everyone!! 

I was surprised to receive an invitation to an international applicant interview this morning. The interview is scheduled for March 4th. When I asked, the admissions explained that the reason why I need to attend this interview is because I earned my undergrad degree overseas. Therefore, I won't hear the decisions from the admissions committee until I complete my interview on Friday, March 4th. At least, I do not need to keep checking my email for a little over a week.

BUT now I want to know what the interview is like and the questions I should expect from the admissions. :( Can anyone who went through this process, share your experience with me? Thank you!

Edited by Opt4theBest

Hello everyone. I received my acceptance letter on Monday and I am trying to prepare as much as possible in case I do decide to attend Columbia. I live in Los Angeles, and never have been on a plane. I am kind of nervous.

For those who have been admitted has anyone started to fill out the Housing Application Form? Or for anyone who did attend or is attending  Columbia, what do you recommend in terms of housing. Thank You!

Congrats to others who were admitted, so far no rejected?  I am somewhat relieved to hear that none of the Advanced Standing applicants have heard back, although yes I am very frustrated too, I started working on my application in September, turned in by the Dec. deadline!  I am hoping it isn't bad news, and that I will at least hear something before the weekend :-)  

Hi all, I had emailed admissions a couple of weeks ago about decisions, I received the response below today:

"Hi Kristina,

Thanks for reaching out. We apologize for the delay in responding. Advanced Standing students should start hearing from us next week.

Sincerely,
CSSW Admissions"

On February 25, 2016 at 11:24 PM, van2312 said:

Hello everyone. I received my acceptance letter on Monday and I am trying to prepare as much as possible in case I do decide to attend Columbia. I live in Los Angeles, and never have been on a plane. I am kind of nervous.

For those who have been admitted has anyone started to fill out the Housing Application Form? Or for anyone who did attend or is attending  Columbia, what do you recommend in terms of housing. Thank You!

I've lived in apartment housing for 2 years, actually my apartment will have two open spots in it next semester :( It's been a wonderful place to live and much cheaper than typical apartments in the area, landlord is wonderful, and I'm literally a 4 minute walk to school. 

3 hours ago, jillchristine said:

I've lived in apartment housing for 2 years, actually my apartment will have two open spots in it next semester :( It's been a wonderful place to live and much cheaper than typical apartments in the area, landlord is wonderful, and I'm literally a 4 minute walk to school. 

Do you think that the Columbia housing options are better? I have friends who in live in Wash Heights and Harlem and some of them pay as low as 600 a month for rent. True, their apartments aren't glamorous, but it frees up a lot of cash. Money is a big factor in my grad school decision, so I'd love to hear what you folks think about the cost of living near Columbia.

21 hours ago, KatFreeLee said:

Do you think that the Columbia housing options are better? I have friends who in live in Wash Heights and Harlem and some of them pay as low as 600 a month for rent. True, their apartments aren't glamorous, but it frees up a lot of cash. Money is a big factor in my grad school decision, so I'd love to hear what you folks think about the cost of living near Columbia.

It depends on what you're looking for and what's important to you. I was new to the city so convenience and being in a quieter neighborhood close to school was perfect for me. I have friends that live in Wash Heights, for me I'd rather live closer to work/ school for more money. I know that's not how most people feel, so it's totally subjective. But CU housing will run you a little less than what's typically around the area, but only by about $400, so not too much less and still pretty expensive. 

14 hours ago, MSW88 said:

@jillchristine would you mind sharing how much the rent is? I live in Astoria, Queens and pay $900 a month (it's a house with 2 other roommates). 

My rent is 1k a month for a huge apartment (living room, dining room, study) with two roommates, rent is with everything included also. It's about a five minute walk to class. I know some people who pay less and others that pay more in CU housing, I think it's specific to what you request in your app.