Columbia - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

On 3/25/2016 at 1:20 PM, KmmAlaska said:

I'm looking forward to hearing about your meeting today.  Good luck!

Hey! So, my meeting with the director of admissions went well, I think. I have to wait about a week to hear if I will receive any more money--I received half tuition in scholarship from another school and I presented that information in my meeting. She basically said she couldn't guarantee anything but she would see what she could do. She also gave me an extension on submitting my intent to enroll because I won't hear about scholarship info from another school until mid-April. Overall, she was incredibly nice and helpful and even if Columbia doesn't work out for me, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about their admissions department! 

• 3 weeks later...

So. Has anyone decided to attend Columbia after all? I have until Monday to make the deposit. I am choosing between UCLA and Columbia. I do not have much time left to make a decision, I do not know what to do. 

15 hours ago, van2312 said:

So. Has anyone decided to attend Columbia after all? I have until Monday to make the deposit. I am choosing between UCLA and Columbia. I do not have much time left to make a decision, I do not know what to do. 

I have decided to attend Columbia! I had a very hard time with the decision as well and basically waited as long as possible to make it. For me, it came down to choosing the program I felt was the best fit for me. Now that I've made the decision, I feel really great about it knowing that I am going to the school that is right for me, personally. 

Good luck to you in your decision making! :) 

On April 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM, caitmcguire said:

I have decided to attend Columbia! I had a very hard time with the decision as well and basically waited as long as possible to make it. For me, it came down to choosing the program I felt was the best fit for me. Now that I've made the decision, I feel really great about it knowing that I am going to the school that is right for me, personally. 

Good luck to you in your decision making! :) 

Congrats on making a decision! I'm glad you petitioned and they gave you some more funds. I'm still a little sad I couldn't attend Columbia due to finances, but life moves on! Best of luck to you in your studies!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I sent in my application for the online msw at the last possible moment... After reading how long it's taking people to hear back about things I am no longer optimistic haha. Anyone else apply later? I'm very anxious

• 1 month later...

I applied for the online advance standing and I still have not gotten an answer. I was first told that I would hear the decision by the end of April or beginning of June but I didn't hear back. So I reached out again and was told that my application was in its final review stage and that I should hear back by the end of this current week or the beginning of next week. I still haven't heard anything so I am getting very very anxious! Any one else in the same boat?

Edited by ahernandez3193

In the same boat! I also applied to the online advanced standing. I was told during my Skype interview that they want to make a decision by the first week of June. Here we are, I have not received word yet. I have not contacted them. I'm giving them space because I'm sure they are swamped. If I dont hear by next week, I will probably ask for a status update. Good luck! Crossing fingers. Hang tight and take care ?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am interested in applying for Fall 2017. I have a couple of years of experience with working in the field (domestic violence shelter and assisting with family therapy in another organization). But my GPA is low - 3.1.  What are some of your stats? How do I make my application strong? The personal statement is so anxiety provoking. Any tips?

On July 22, 2016 at 9:44 AM, YogaGal said:

Hi,

I am interested in applying for Fall 2017. I have a couple of years of experience with working in the field (domestic violence shelter and assisting with family therapy in another organization). But my GPA is low - 3.1.  What are some of your stats? How do I make my application strong? The personal statement is so anxiety provoking. Any tips?

Highlight your volunteer experiences and accentuate what you will bring to the school. I just graduated and many of the students had GPAs across the board-- 2.8-4.0. Focus on what you can bring to the table as far as internships and how you will encompass the schools mission to be change agents at a larger level and you'll be fine. Most people apply to columbia and figure out they can't afford it so thankfully they accept a very high rate of acceptances. Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions!  

Hello All-

I'm currently a student in the 2 year program, and I started last fall.  I'm also curious about others' financial aid packages too because my income is significantly less this year but they still offered me the same package as last year, which was only $9000 of scholarship.  I was surprised ( and a little annoyed) that people were saying their initial award was for $14, 00.  I'm definitely going to appeal for more.

YogaGal, I agree with JillChritine's advice about your application.  Don't get hung up on your gpa. At this point, it is what it is.  Part of what they're also looking for in your essay is if you're capable of graduate level writing at the level they expect.  Make sure your essay is well written and  proofread it.

On July 25, 2016 at 11:37 AM, jillchristine said:

Highlight your volunteer experiences and accentuate what you will bring to the school. I just graduated and many of the students had GPAs across the board-- 2.8-4.0. Focus on what you can bring to the table as far as internships and how you will encompass the schools mission to be change agents at a larger level and you'll be fine. Most people apply to columbia and figure out they can't afford it so thankfully they accept a very high rate of acceptances. Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions!  

Thank you, jillchristine! That is very helpful in writing my essay!!

22 hours ago, sakanie said:

Hello All-

I'm currently a student in the 2 year program, and I started last fall.  I'm also curious about others' financial aid packages too because my income is significantly less this year but they still offered me the same package as last year, which was only $9000 of scholarship.  I was surprised ( and a little annoyed) that people were saying their initial award was for $14, 00.  I'm definitely going to appeal for more.

YogaGal, I agree with JillChritine's advice about your application.  Don't get hung up on your gpa. At this point, it is what it is.  Part of what they're also looking for in your essay is if you're capable of graduate level writing at the level they expect.  Make sure your essay is well written and  proofread it.

Thanks! You made a good point - "At this point, it is what it is." It is quite relieving to know that there is actually nothing I can do about gpa. So instead of worrying about it, I can focus more on working on the essay and giving it my best.