2016 Admission result and Applicant profile For INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

AD

Hi all,

I have created a thread for international students who have an interview date, acceptance letters or rejection and may be waitlisted...???? You can post your progress...thanks...

I am an international student from Turkey

Undergrad Institution: Reputed University In Turkey
Major(s): Molecular Biology and Genetics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major:N/A
Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: international

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 167 (94%)
V: 166 (96%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
B: 

TOEFL Total: 119 (Reading:29, Listening,Speaking and Writing:30 ), out of 120.

Research Experience: 1 year volunteer at a yeast molecular genetics lab, 2 research projects in the same lab studying molecular mechanism of aging, 1 summer internship in Concordia University Canada, Studying aging in yeast as well, but this was a biochemistry lab, so we studied lipid dynamics in those yeast strains.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Dean's list in every semester, probably going to graduate Summa Cum Laude 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: An international student in turkey, studying under Government Scholarship,

Special Bonus Points: Recommendations are going to be great..I have good connections with all of the recommenders.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:

Harvard - BBS - Mostly Aging biology, Redox biology, same for all  programs

UPenn - Biomedical Graduate Studies: Cell and Molecular Biology 

Brown University - Cell and Molecular Biology

Princeton- Molecular Biology

Boston University PIBS (SKYPE INTERVIEW)

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor: Cellular Molecular and Developmental Biology (SKYPE INTERVIEW)

Johns Hopkins: Biochemistry,Cell and Molecular Biology (ON CAMPUS INTERVIEW on 18-20 FEBRUARY)

University of Colorado,Boulder- Cell and Molecular Biology

Undergrad Institution: Reputed University In Australia
Major(s): 1. Biochemistry 2. Cell Pathology
Overall GPA: No official GPA, roughly 3.5

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 162 (85%)
V: 160 (83%)

Research Experience: 1 year part time paid research assistant, 1 research project, 1 summer internship, Currently working in a different area of research.

Applying to Where: So far I have rejections from UCB, CSHL, Rockefeller, and UCSF. Expecting rejections from Scripps and UC Davis. Hoping for something from BU. I was probably too ambitious this year, but its my first time applying.

Edited by Shawn3007+

10 hours ago, Shawn3007+ said:

GRE Scores (revised):

Research Experience: 1 year part time paid research assistant, 1 research project, 1 summer internship, Currently working in a different area of research.

Applying to Where: So far I have rejections from UCB, CSHL, Rockefeller, and UCSF. Expecting rejections from Scripps and UC Davis. Hoping for something from BU. I was probably too ambitious this year, but its my first time applying.

you got good Gre Score.!! I think ull do better with a subject gre if that's possible..!! anyways Best of luck

Undergrad Institution: Top Ranked Small Research School in Canada
Major(s): BSc. Honours Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
GPA in Major: n/a
Overall GPA: 4.07 (4.33 scale)
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 160 (85%)
V: 164 (89%)

Research Experience: 1 year volunteer, 2 paid summers, 1 year undergraduate thesis project, 1 year paid research assistant after graduation (all with same PI). I have a very good relationship with my supervisor - hopefully a great recommendation :)

Applying to Where: 

Interviews: Scripps, U Washington, Yale, Cornell, MIT, UCLA

Rejected: UC Berkeley, UCSF, Stanford

Waiting: Harvard, CalTech, UW Madison

Other Notes: Didn't write the subject GRE, only general. I live in a small town in Northern British Columbia and the subject GRE was only offered in a larger city 800km away. I hope that my marks in upper level biochemistry classes in my undergrad make up for this.

Going for my first round of interviews on the East coast next week!

2 hours ago, Shawn3007+ said:

@kreimer Did you have any publications as well? I feel like that was probably the weak spot in my application. Probably my GPA affected it a little as well.

No publications yet, but one coming very soon where I will be first author. I have multiple conference poster presentations and oral presentations at seminars in my field. 

20 hours ago, kreimer said:

Undergrad Institution: Top Ranked Small Research School in Canada
Major(s): BSc. Honours Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
GPA in Major: n/a
Overall GPA: 4.07 (4.33 scale)

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 160 (85%)
V: 164 (89%)

Research Experience: 1 year volunteer, 2 paid summers, 1 year undergraduate thesis project, 1 year paid research assistant after graduation (all with same PI). I have a very good relationship with my supervisor - hopefully a great recommendation :)

Applying to Where: 

Interviews: Scripps, U Washington, Yale, Cornell, MIT, UCLA

Rejected: UC Berkeley, UCSF, Stanford

Waiting: Harvard, CalTech, UW Madison

Other Notes: Didn't write the subject GRE, only general. I live in a small town in Northern British Columbia and the subject GRE was only offered in a larger city 800km away. I hope that my marks in upper level biochemistry classes in my undergrad make up for this.

Going for my first round of interviews on the East coast next week!

Hey which program did you apply at UCLA?

Undergrad Institution: The only Liberal Arts university in Pakistan
Major(s): Biotechnology
Overall GPA: 3.69

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 160 (78%)
V: 160 (85%)
W: 4.5

TOEFL: 117 (30 in Reading and 29 in all others)

Research Experience: 1 summer project, 1 summer internship

Awards: Cum Laude, Outstading Leadership Award, Pioneer of on-campus EMS

Applying to Where: Vanderbilt University and New Zealand. So far, rejected from most New Zeay applications. Got a call back for a pre-interview for one at the University of Aukland. 

Random Rambling: I'm probably going to get rejected so I'll give it another shot after doing an MPhil. 

Edited by G
Grammer error

Hi everybody, Im a student from India, currently in my final and fourth year of my undergraduate degree in Biotechnology.

Undergrad Institution: Averagely reputed institution in India, not known for biological sciences, primarily an engineering school
Major(s): Biotechnology
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 9.17/10
Overall GPA: WES gave me 4.0 on 4.0
Position in Class: Near the Top

GRE Scores (revised):
Q: 167 (94%)
V: 163 (92%)
B: 

TOEFL Total: 119 (Reading:30, Listening 30,Speaking 28 and Writing:30 ), out of 120.

Research Experience: 2 summers of research at a lab in reputed national institution and one semester continuing the same work . One more summer at another top national institute. ! semester of part time bioinformatics project in college, 1 more semester of undergrad thesis (current), none of it is/was paid internships..

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  not available

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: N/A

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: National level swimmer (doubt it helped, just a point for small talk)
Special Bonus Points: Recommendations from three research guides, two from summer internships and one from college.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:

Washington University in St. Louis (DBBS -Molecular Genetics and Genomics)

University of Washington at Seattle - MCB

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Vanderbilt - IGP

Albert Einstein

Tufts - Sackler Biomed - 

USC - PIBBS

Scripps

On 1/22/2016 at 9:36 AM, Shawn3007+ said:

GRE Scores (revised):

Dont take the rejection from scripps to heart. Heard they might not be at the best place funding wise for international students right now. Maybe a few more schools at the top but not the top 5 would have helped! I have fewer/lesser research experiences than you and i got interviews from my top choices. I wasnt really looking at the top 5 because i feel like as an international student i might need more mentoring which i might not get at the top 5 schools cause of how competitive each of the candidates are. Dont lose hope. Just be confident about your prev research experience when you talk during interviews.

@bioconfused thanks for the advice. Since it was my first time applying and I am fine with having to wait an extra year I thought I should try applying to the dream schools just so that I know I tried. I will probably diversify my applications next year. Probably UC Davis range and below. I might also take some time off work and sit the subject GRE. 

Undergrad Institution: Top Tier Biotech Research School in India.
Major(s): Biotech
Minor(s): We don't even have such options.
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: Top 5%
Type of Student: International but Domestic? Been working in a multinational Biotech company for 2 years now in the US - also got my green card sponsored, so I now apparently fall into the pool of US Citizens/Permanent residents?

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162
V: 160
W: 5.0 (I wrote 5 f***ing paragraphs)

Research Experience: Umm, where to start.

1) Got selected after undergrad into an international science leadership program (12 selected every year out of 2500+ applications from around the globe) in a US Biotech company, who relocated me from India to the US (gave me a visa, car, home, etc.), been working in their microbial research lab for two years now. During my research here discovered a new combination of antifungal lipopeptides to control/eliminate an epidemic disease of Banana plantations worldwide, Black Sigatoka, without the pathogen developing resistance :D. First author publication, working now on its commercial formulation. 

2) 3 years research experience during undergrad, rotated in a couple of labs, but still mainly sticking to microbiology, microbial enzymes, and studying the entire process of  interaction of microbial antibiotics with pathogen cells.

3) A 6 month internship right after undergrad, before I landed this opportunity, working on similar plant diseases, studying plant responses and gene expressions after artificial infection.

4) Two three month internships during undergrad summer vacations, one at Novozymes India, other at National Institute of Mycobacterial Diseases.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Full ride. Dean's List. External & Internal Scholarships. Tonnes of awards from extra-curriculars was heavily into them- from Debates to Spelling competitions. Oh and I played soccer for my university, equivalent of Division 1 athlete here.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: I use to voluntarily tutor Math, Chemistry and Physics at a local mosque.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I also liked building databases and coding, so I actually built a database housing all the gene sequences of enzymes (to weaken the host immunity, create pores in the cell wall, etc.) secreted by the pathogen during the first stages of host pathogen interaction. I did this for the National Center of Mycobacterial Diseases where I interned. Apparently they licensed it later and gave me no due credit. Ho - hum.

10 hours ago, keviv1692 said:

Hi guys, I think this thread is gong to be very useful. I have 2 Skype interviews coming up for UIUC (MCB) on 12/2/16 and UMass Med School Worcester (BBS) on 16/2/16.

Congrats and good luck on the interviews!!

9 hours ago, keviv1692 said:

@shovonreza Thanks man!...BTW when are your skype interviews for BU and Penn?

I had one skype interview for Penn yesterday, I have one today and one tomorrow..UPenn requires 4 skype interviews. For BU the dates have not yet been confirmed, they said they would contact me next week.

4 hours ago, keviv1692 said:

OMG, 4 interviews on Skype..Good luck man.Please share some questions if you can, I have one coming up in exactly 24 hrs from now.!

Questions always started with tell me about your research, how did you do this particular experiment and why did you do it, where do you see yourself in 20 years and why did you choose this particular school, and finally the dreaded:do you have any questions for me?