Fordham - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

Hi tudor3x8. I applied on 01/17 but have just received a confirmation that my application is completed just now.

Do you think it is weird if all the documents submitted do not show when we click "Preview Application Proof" I do not see a copy of my resume and personal statement when I click on the link. Are you having the same problem? I wrote to the Admission and they confirmed that they received everything though. 

Good luck!

Hey Opt,

I think I got the confirmation email the day after. I just noticed that as well. My resume/SOP aren't showing up on the proof but they did say that they've received everything. So not just you.

I have just attended Fordham's online info session and was very impressed how helpful the admissions team was. Although Fordham states that the minimum GPA is 3.0, but the admissions team encourages those with GPA below 3.0 to apply. The admissions associate himself is a graduate of the MSW program. He used himself as an example as when he applied to Fordham's standard 2yr MSW he was offered "conditional acceptance" i.e. once admitted he needed to maintain his first year GPA at least B grade because his undergrad GPA was below 3.0. What I want say is for those with low GPA, please do not give up. You still have a chance. The admissions team also offered to answer questions or concern you may have regarding your undergraduate GPA. They also revealed that their acceptance rate is 68%. 

Edited by Opt4theBest
typo

Hey tudor3x8 congrats once again! As far as I remember from the info session, when Fordham sends you email with financial aid information, they will ask if you want to apply for Graduate Assistantship which if selected you will be helping in research, etc and get paid $1,500/semester. If you have any specific question, I recommend you shoot an email to Stephen McGowan at stmcgowan@fordham.edu He is willing to answer any question. He was an MSW at Fordham and now working in the Admissions. From my experience, I feel that he is very sincere and willing to help with anything. When he carried out the info session, I could tell that he was not faking and trying to eat our application fees. If you can't find your answers here in this forum, simply reach out to Stephen.

Hey, I am working on my personal statement for Fordham's social work program. I know it says to write about a social issue, but did you guys cite sources and do a reference page and all that? I appreciate your help...thanks!

Not really. I talked about problems I have experienced through work and such so I didn't cite any sources on my paper. I personally think that they want to see if you are mature enough to identify social issues by using your own logic. It is different from a research/academic paper. Use your own language to explain things and make sure to give them some recommendations, too. 

I just submitted all of my materials for the Online MSW...now the waiting...!  I also didn't see all of my materials when I checked the preview, so I was relieved to see that it's not just me!

Think it is normal. Don't be worried or else you can email Monica at  gssadmission@fordham.edu  to confirm that nothing is missing from your application. I emailed her and it ensured me.

Monica Wilson, Executive Secretary

FORDHAM UNIVERSITY

gssadmission@fordham.edu  

On 2/3/2016 at 8:41 PM, elissad0122 said:

I submitted everything Sunday and some things still say "awaiting" so I think it may be normal. 

If there is nothing missing, soon you will receive an email with the subject "Your Application is Complete" by  Graduate School of Social Service. I submitted my on January 17th, but I didn't received the email until January 20th. 

23 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

If there is nothing missing, soon you will receive an email with the subject "Your Application is Complete" by  Graduate School of Social Service. I submitted my on January 17th, but I didn't received the email until January 20th. 

Ok, I mailed my transcript and my letters, and it says that is what they are waiting for on my admission profile. 

I thought we could email the scanned transcript to them. That is how I did mine. Anyway, once they receive your mail, they will update your application status and you should receive an email confirmation similar to the one below:

Dear XYZ,
The Office of Admission is pleased to inform you that your application to the Master of Social Work degree program at Fordham GSS is now complete, and will move forward to the Admissions Committee for review. You will be notified of the admission decision electronically within 4-6 weeks via e-mail, at which time you will be directed to log on to your Application Status page to view your decision letter. As a reminder, you may log on to your Application Status page by clicking here.

You submitted an application to the
 Lincoln Center campus, Leadership and Macro Practice: Focus A - Human Services Leadership concentration, Full-Time 2 Year plan of study, for the 2016 Fall term. Please notify us immediately if these details are not correct.

Sincerely,

Fordham University
Graduate School of Social Service
Office of Admission

On January 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM, elissad0122 said:

Hey, I am working on my personal statement for Fordham's social work program. I know it says to write about a social issue, but did you guys cite sources and do a reference page and all that? I appreciate your help...thanks!

Not sure if you already submitted, but I think that they actually do want you to cite references. They specifically mentioned it in the prompt and when I went to the info session, the admissions rep specifically said to use references. I thought it was odd, but did it anyways. I only used a few sources though, nothing crazy. That being said, if you write a good statement without references I don't think that the fact that you don't have any references would hurt your app all that much. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Jewelz423 said:

Not sure if you already submitted, but I think that they actually do want you to cite references. They specifically mentioned it in the prompt and when I went to the info session, the admissions rep specifically said to use references. I thought it was odd, but did it anyways. I only used a few sources though, nothing crazy. That being said, if you write a good statement without references I don't think that the fact that you don't have any references would hurt your app all that much. Good luck!

I didn't attend an info session yet (I will this Saturday since I'll be in NYC anyways), but I didn't add any in mine. I do think looking back I could have benefited from adding sources- most of my essay is personal/anecdotal, so it didn't hurt much, but I certainly could've added more knowledge/research into the essay if I cited sources.

Me too. My essays to all grad schools I applied were based on my personal and professional but first hand experiences.

By the way, Fordham room is too quiet. No one else has been accepted lately?

I hope to hear from the admissions soon.

Edited by Opt4theBest

13 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Me too. My essays to all grad schools I applied were based on my personal and professional but first hand experiences.

By the way, Fordham room is too quiet. No one else has been accepted lately?

I hope to hear from the admissions soon.

I elected not to include any sources as well. I think a personal statement is exactly that. It allows the school to see your life, experiences, and so on. If a school wants to see academic ability for research and report...they should require an academic writing sample as well. 

Yeah, I just thought it was weird to include sources for a personal statement since it is in fact, a PERSONAL statement. So I didn't. I'm still waiting to hear back from them to make sure they received everything on their end - I hate waiting lol. 

Received my acceptance via email this morning! For all those worrying about the citation/source issue for the personal statement, I did not use any outside sources so I wouldn't be too concerned. Fordham is my top choice but it will all depend on what financial aid (if any) I receive. They said that information should come within the week. Good luck to those waiting to hear!