Fordham - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

Oh that's only two days before mine! But when I emailed the admissions last night this is what they told me:

Your application is currently with the committee so give it another 7-10 business days.

I hope I can hear from them sooner :( 

Hi everyone, I was accepted into the MSW program at Fordham in late January. They want us to make a $250 deposit and decision within 2 weeks of acceptance. They gave me an extension until March 1st, but said that field placements are first come first serve, and that I might loose out if I don't submit earlier than March 1st. My only concern is that I haven't received any news back from the other schools that I applied to. Fordham is one of my top choices, but financial aid, cost of living, etc. will need to be factored in. Does anyone have advice? Should I put the $250 deposit now and just eat my money if I end up not attending? Is it ethical to put the deposit down even if I'm not 100% sure I plan to attend? Thanks so much for the advice!

When did you apply? To answer your question, if they are not willing to give you a second extension, placing the deposit with Fordham seems to be the only way to guarantee your place with them right now. $250 seems a lot for now, but it will cost you a lot more (time, money and so on) if you lose your spot at Fordham while waiting for other schools' decisions. Which other schools are you waiting for? If it's Columbia, you should hear from them in a week or two. Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, MaggieMayMSW24 said:

Hi everyone, I was accepted into the MSW program at Fordham in late January. They want us to make a $250 deposit and decision within 2 weeks of acceptance. They gave me an extension until March 1st, but said that field placements are first come first serve, and that I might loose out if I don't submit earlier than March 1st. My only concern is that I haven't received any news back from the other schools that I applied to. Fordham is one of my top choices, but financial aid, cost of living, etc. will need to be factored in. Does anyone have advice? Should I put the $250 deposit now and just eat my money if I end up not attending? Is it ethical to put the deposit down even if I'm not 100% sure I plan to attend? Thanks so much for the advice!

Hey Maggie,

They asked the same thing for me. They were kind enough to give me a 4 week extension as well for the same reasons that you mentioned. Just be honest and let them know you need more time! They're great over there, so they should be fine!

1 hour ago, tudor3x8 said:

Hey Maggie,

They asked the same thing for me. They were kind enough to give me a 4 week extension as well for the same reasons that you mentioned. Just be honest and let them know you need more time! They're great over there, so they should be fine!

Hi tudor,

It's great to know that I'm not the only one who asked for an extension! Are you worried about not getting your first choice at field placements? If you don't hear back from some of your other schools within those 4 weeks, do you plan to just put down the $250 to save your place?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, MaggieMayMSW24 said:

Hi tudor,

It's great to know that I'm not the only one who asked for an extension! Are you worried about not getting your first choice at field placements? If you don't hear back from some of your other schools within those 4 weeks, do you plan to just put down the $250 to save your place?

Thanks!

I'm waiting until the end of the month to make my decision. I did request the extension to hear back from the other schools- I got accepted to NYU about the week after, which is my first choice, so I will most likely go there. I'm waiting back for a few other schools, but to be honest, unless the other schools accepted me and gave me a larger tuition break (unlikely except for Hunter, which will probably make decisions much later/doesn't have the clinical focus that I like about Fordham & NYU), I've already made my decision.

If I didn't hear back from anywhere but Fordham by the end of the month, I would have absolutely have put down the $250 just in case. I would much rather have a spot saved for Fordham, which was my second choice, than to wait for other schools that might not accept me/

I was a little worried about field placements, but it seems like the schools all have many great fieldwork placements, so I think as long as I choose by the end of the month, I'll be fine. The deadline to apply was early February, so I doubt that all the spots would have been filled by then.

22 hours ago, tudor3x8 said:

I'm waiting until the end of the month to make my decision. I did request the extension to hear back from the other schools- I got accepted to NYU about the week after, which is my first choice, so I will most likely go there. I'm waiting back for a few other schools, but to be honest, unless the other schools accepted me and gave me a larger tuition break (unlikely except for Hunter, which will probably make decisions much later/doesn't have the clinical focus that I like about Fordham & NYU), I've already made my decision.

If I didn't hear back from anywhere but Fordham by the end of the month, I would have absolutely have put down the $250 just in case. I would much rather have a spot saved for Fordham, which was my second choice, than to wait for other schools that might not accept me/

I was a little worried about field placements, but it seems like the schools all have many great fieldwork placements, so I think as long as I choose by the end of the month, I'll be fine. The deadline to apply was early February, so I doubt that all the spots would have been filled by then.

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your advice! Can I ask why you would like to attend NYU over Fordham? I just received my acceptance letter today from NYU, so now I need to start making decisions. The only thing that scares me about NYU is the cost (although, I haven't received my financial aid information yet). It sounds like you received a large tuition break? Thanks again!

20 minutes ago, MaggieMayMSW24 said:

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your advice! Can I ask why you would like to attend NYU over Fordham? I just received my acceptance letter today from NYU, so now I need to start making decisions. The only thing that scares me about NYU is the cost (although, I haven't received my financial aid information yet). It sounds like you received a large tuition break? Thanks again!

Hi Maggie,

I'll be living with relatives, so I would basically only need to worry about tuition. The scholarship I received at NYU would make the tuition of both schools somewhat similar (NYU still is slightly higher, but the difference isn't as enormous as, say, Hunter would be). If it was a significant difference, I would have chosen Fordham. I also like the program more at NYU- both are clinical based, but because I do have an interest in a research-based/direct practice/biopsychosocial model, NYU is a better fit for me.

28 minutes ago, MaggieMayMSW24 said:

Hi Tudor,

May I ask what time your acceptance email came in from NYU? Been anxiously awaiting. Congrats!

6 minutes ago, tudor3x8 said:

Hi Maggie,

I'll be living with relatives, so I would basically only need to worry about tuition. The scholarship I received at NYU would make the tuition of both schools somewhat similar (NYU still is slightly higher, but the difference isn't as enormous as, say, Hunter would be). If it was a significant difference, I would have chosen Fordham. I also like the program more at NYU- both are clinical based, but because I do have an interest in a research-based/direct practice/biopsychosocial model, NYU is a better fit for me.

Hi Tudor,

You're very lucky to have relatives to live with! I may have to reach out to my uncle to see if he has an extra bedroom, as he lives in Greenwich Village haha. Thanks again for all of your very helpful comments/advice!

16 minutes ago, MaggieMayMSW24 said:

Hi Tudor,

You're very lucky to have relatives to live with! I may have to reach out to my uncle to see if he has an extra bedroom, as he lives in Greenwich Village haha. Thanks again for all of your very helpful comments/advice!

Yeah, I really did luck out with that. She doesn't live in Manhattan but the commute is short enough for it to be worth it. If I didn't have her, I would absolutely have not been able to make it work out in NYC. And ofc, we all gotta help each other! :)

Fordham offered me an admission to their Part Time 3 year study plan this morning. But I applied for Full Time 2 year program. Could this be a mistake? Should I freak out?

Edited by Opt4theBest

1 hour ago, Opt4theBest said:

Fordham offered me an admission to their Part Time 3 year study plan this morning. But I applied for Full Time 2 year program. Could this be a mistake? Should I freak out?

Did you try calling them to see what the mix up might be? Congrats on an acceptance none the less! 

1 minute ago, MSW768 said:

Did you try calling them to see what the mix up might be? Congrats on an acceptance none the less! 

Thanks so much! I emailed the admissions. However, they asked me to wait for the interim director's response next week. It's a weird feeling as I am not sure if I should be happy or sad. I can't do part time and 3 years are too long and too expensive for me. Sigh!

6 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

Thanks so much! I emailed the admissions. However, they asked me to wait for the interim director's response next week. It's a weird feeling as I am not sure if I should be happy or sad. I can't do part time and 3 years are too long and too expensive for me. Sigh!

Congrats Opt!

Although it is not the most convenient news... at least you heard back from them with an acceptance. Hopefully you get some better news next week from the interim director. At the very least we know the clock is working! 

Edited by FT-Grad2016

21 minutes ago, FT-Grad2016 said:

Congrats Opt!

Although it is not the most convenient news... at least you heard back from them with an acceptance. Hopefully you get some better news next week from the interim director. At the very least we know the clock is working! 

Thank you FT-Grad2016. With your guys' support I feel a lot better. I am visiting the admissions this coming Tuesday to tour the school and hopefully to meet with the interim director to discuss on the issue. I will keep you all posted.

16 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

By the way, Fordham also offer me scholarship of $2,000 for the first academic year. I am not sure if this amount is too low? Is it unusual

Hi Opt,

I received a similar scholarship. When I was accepted to NYU, my scholarship was much larger, making the tuition costs rather similar. 

29 minutes ago, MaggieMayMSW24 said:

Hi Opt,

I received a similar scholarship. When I was accepted to NYU, my scholarship was much larger, making the tuition costs rather similar. 

Yes, it's sad to see that they only give a few thousands per year. They give me 30 days to decide. Above all, I can't decide until I clarify with them why they are offering me Part Time 3 Year Study Plan. So tired :(

On 2/13/2016 at 11:34 PM, Opt4theBest said:

By the way, Fordham also offer me scholarship of $2,000 for the first academic year. I am not sure if this amount is too low? Is it unusual

This is the scholarship I received from them too--it's much too low for me to even consider attending, unfortunately. I asked for a reconsideration of my financial package but haven't heard back. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can find out anything or at least get an extension on putting down the deposit. I really love Fordham but I have a much more affordable option that will be really difficult to pass up if Fordham doesn't offer me any more money. 

48 minutes ago, caitmcguire said:

This is the scholarship I received from them too--it's much too low for me to even consider attending, unfortunately. I asked for a reconsideration of my financial package but haven't heard back. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if I can find out anything or at least get an extension on putting down the deposit. I really love Fordham but I have a much more affordable option that will be really difficult to pass up if Fordham doesn't offer me any more money. 

Thanks Cait. FYI they are closed tomorrow for the presidents' day holiday and will reopen on Tuesday.