CSULB MSW Applicants

Sor11

Hey guys, I just wanted to start this thread for those who applied to LB's MSW program. I turned in my application on 2/12. I am anxiously waiting for a response I know admission probably won't notify us until probably in a couple more weeks (or months as I have read in past threads). Also, I believe that applications in past years have been due in February so I'm hoping for a quicker turn around this year. 

Im really nervous because I'm not sure how strong of an applicant I am. I don't have a lot of experience in the field so I'm hopping my personal statement and letter of rec will give me that extra boost. 

Stats: 

CSULB alumni GPA 3.3 Child Development

1 year as a volunteer/ intern at an Early Head Start program, hired as a temporary  Home Visitor for a month. I could have been still working there but I had previously accepted to serve as an AmeriCops member so I had to leave my position :(  

For those who turned in their applications much earlier than the deadline, have you receive any type of notification yet? Also,  anyone feel free to share your stats or stories 

Good luck to everyone! 

Edited by LSor11

I submitted my application on January 7th and I'm really anxious about it. I don't have much experience related to social work so that's the area I'm lacking in. freCSULB is my first choice and I really hope that I get in. My LORs are strong, but none are from a social work related individual. One is a sociology professor I took several classes with, and the other two are the owners of the company I work for. 

Stats:

CSUDH alumni

GPA 3.7 Sociology

6 months as an in-home hospice volunteer. The concentration I selected is the Adulthood and Aging concentration so I hope this experience helps with that. 

6 years working as the receptionist/assistant at an insulation company.

I'm hoping when they review my personal statement and resume they will realize that the reason I don't have more volunteer or internship experience is because I had to work to pay for undergrad.  

I submitted my application Jan 12 as well and I have not received any email saying that it has been processed or anything. LB is a competitive school especially for Social Work. I hope we receive some type of email saying when they will be sending out acceptance letters soon. 

48 minutes ago, jclay005 said:

I submitted my application Jan 12 as well and I have not received any email saying that it has been processed or anything. LB is a competitive school especially for Social Work. I hope we receive some type of email saying when they will be sending out acceptance letters soon. 

I haven't receive anything either. I'll post here once I get some sort of notification good luck! 

22 hours ago, ginabina said:

I submitted my application on January 7th and I'm really anxious about it. I don't have much experience related to social work so that's the area I'm lacking in. freCSULB is my first choice and I really hope that I get in. My LORs are strong, but none are from a social work related individual. One is a sociology professor I took several classes with, and the other two are the owners of the company I work for. 

Stats:

CSUDH alumni

GPA 3.7 Sociology

6 months as an in-home hospice volunteer. The concentration I selected is the Adulthood and Aging concentration so I hope this experience helps with that. 

6 years working as the receptionist/assistant at an insulation company.

I'm hoping when they review my personal statement and resume they will realize that the reason I don't have more volunteer or internship experience is because I had to work to pay for undergrad.  

Good luck to you! I'm on the same boat when it comes to experience. 

Don't expect acceptance offers until March/April. Hoping any sooner is just going to stress you out more. I applied to LB last year way before the deadline and received my acceptance on April 10th. Also, I did receive an email confirming they had received all application materials. I remember last year in a similar thread here people were complaining about LB taking forever to send out acceptance letters, especially those who had been placed on "pending". Currently I am attending a different CSU MSW program.

Here were my stats:

Bachelor of Social Work, 3.5 GPA

1 year internship working at a homeless nonprofit

1 year work as mental health worker helping individuals with severe and persistent mental illness adjust to independent living

2 years work as a case manager for individuals who are chronically homeless and have a severe and persistent mental illness 

Volunteer work included homeless conventions, homeless outreach, domestic violence shelter, political campaigns

**Good luck to all. The MSW experience is awesome and I am loving my choice to go to grad school!!!**

Hi guys! I was accepted to csulb (2 year, adulthood and aging concentration) on Dec 22 via email. They received my application on Dec 3 ( I express mailed it so I could watch tracking). They emailed me the same day letting me know it was under review too. Here are my stats: 

Graduating in May with my BSW from a state school. 

Minor in Sociology

3.9 GPA (cumulative) 

Volunteer with the American Red Cross 

I started my field placement in September of 2015 and am currently a Social Work Intern at a county agency doing case management w/ the elderly. 

Peer TA for the Social Work Department at my school 

1 semester VP and 1 semester Secretary for my schools student social work association 

2 strong LOCs from professors and 1 from my field supervisor 

Good luck o everyone! LB is a great program and  a great location! 

On 1/21/2016 at 8:45 AM, Aj9893 said:

Hi guys! I was accepted to csulb (2 year, adulthood and aging concentration) on Dec 22 via email. They received my application on Dec 3 ( I express mailed it so I could watch tracking). They emailed me the same day letting me know it was under review too. Here are my stats: 

Graduating in May with my BSW from a state school. 

Minor in Sociology

3.9 GPA (cumulative) 

Volunteer with the American Red Cross 

I started my field placement in September of 2015 and am currently a Social Work Intern at a county agency doing case management w/ the elderly. 

Peer TA for the Social Work Department at my school 

1 semester VP and 1 semester Secretary for my schools student social work association 

2 strong LOCs from professors and 1 from my field supervisor 

Good luck o everyone! LB is a great program and  a great location! 

Congrats! That was a really quick response, you seem like everything they are looking for in a MSW candidate! 

I applied for the Integrated Health Concentration, but my experience has been with foster children. I submitted 3 strong LOCs. Hoping I get in!!

Hi everyone !! Just wanted to post some info to help ease some nerves. I was accepted to csulb msw 2 yr program today. Here is my timeline : 

Nov 30,2015:turned in my application in person. 

Dec 2,2015 recieved  confirmation everything was recieved and application being reviewed. 

Jan 26, 2016 recieved acceptance letter via email . 

Some stats: 

2.95 GPA 

7 years of paid experience in social service.  

B.A in psychology and social behavior. 

Best of luck to everyone , I know the wait is horrible just continue to have  positive thoughts !! 

Hi everyone,  just to put your mind at ease, they received a large number of applications in January so it is going to take a while to sort through those and send out to confirmations of  receipt.  I also have heard that there have been some staffing changes so that may potentially impact timelines.

I submitted 12/15, received a notice of application received later that afternoon and received the acceptance email on 12/22.  Advanced Standing, which I know they review first since they have to set up for the summer bridge session.

Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted into the 2 year program!

I sent my application 12/1, I overnighted the documents 

Received an email from the school stating that they received my application 12/9

Received an email stating that my application was going to department review 12/23

Acceptance email 1/29 stating I have ten days to accept

GPA: 2.88

7 years of community and union organizing

BA in English--Literature and Raza Studies

I mailed in my application via standard mail on January 7th and I haven't received any emails saying they received it or anything. It wasn't sent back to me so I'm sure it was delivered, but I'm getting nervous. Has anyone else who mailed it via standard mail received emails?

I didn't send it via mail but I received a confirmation email that they received my packet on the 28th. I would say wait till the end of the week for the confirmation letter. If nothing happens, I would then call. I'm sure they are barely shuffling around all the packets they received that last week. 

Hey guys! Here's some of my timeline:

csumentor app submitted 1/11, I handed in my packet in person (didn't want to take any chances) 1/13, initial confirmation email 1/13, application going into departmental review email 1/27

Has anyone else gotten this email recently? I want to hear back already!! I can't wait anymore, the anticipation is killing me haha

I dropped mine in the mail on 1/7 and haven't received any emails. I just went back and read the thread from last year. Apparently getting emails is pretty random. Some people who submitted their applications didn't get any sort of followup emails for months, while others got them right away. I think we just have to be patient and not let the anticipation kill us!! 

I sent my packet in on Jan. 4th.

On Jan. 12th I got this emailed: I am writing to inform you that we have forwarded your application to the graduate department of your intended major for a final review. Departments generally review applications after the program application deadline and make decisions within 4 to 6 weeks after the deadline date.

No word back yet.

I received an email saying they have my application, but it is missing one reference form. This has made me near panic since my reference made arrangements to submit it via email and apparently she hasn’t done it yet! This is the second school to email me to tell me she hasn’t submitted the LOR’s yet. At least CSULB is giving me 10 days to submit it.  

18 hours ago, ginabina said:

I received an email saying they have my application, but it is missing one reference form. This has made me near panic since my reference made arrangements to submit it via email and apparently she hasn’t done it yet! This is the second school to email me to tell me she hasn’t submitted the LOR’s yet. At least CSULB is giving me 10 days to submit it.  

I would suggest that you tell this person to bcc you when they send in your recommendation letter. So you have proof and peace of mind, that's really unprofessional of this person to not have turned in the recommendation letter on time. 

28 minutes ago, sammiesammsamm said:

I would suggest that you tell this person to bcc you when they send in your recommendation letter. So you have proof and peace of mind, that's really unprofessional of this person to not have turned in the recommendation letter on time. 

She is no longer going to be able to email it so she is either going to have to mail it, or let me pick it up and hand deliver it. She is my favorite professor and I'm really surprised how much she has dropped the ball on this. I gave her the forms back in October! 

1 hour ago, ginabina said:

She is no longer going to be able to email it so she is either going to have to mail it, or let me pick it up and hand deliver it. She is my favorite professor and I'm really surprised how much she has dropped the ball on this. I gave her the forms back in October! 

That's really frustrating, especially since she did it with two different schools. If you're able to I would just tell her that you will pick it up and hand deliver it to CSULB. Did the second school also give you extra time to submit the LOR? 

1 hour ago, sammiesammsamm said:

That's really frustrating, especially since she did it with two different schools. If you're able to I would just tell her that you will pick it up and hand deliver it to CSULB. Did the second school also give you extra time to submit the LOR? 

The second school is CSUDH and she still has two days to submit it. They said if they don't get it they won't review my application. CSUDH is the school she works at and I know she will be on campus tomorrow so I hope she at least submits that one. 

On 2/4/2016 at 2:42 PM, redtaz said:

Dropped my Application on January 13 but haven't received any type of email yet. Should i be worried?

It'll probably take them a while to get to you, since I'm assuming the bulk of applications got in around that time. I would say give them a couple weeks, and soon you should receive an email stating that they received your application. I wouldn't stress out about it.   

On January 29, 2016 at 10:26 AM, sammiesammsamm said:

Hey everyone,

I was just accepted into the 2 year program!

I sent my application 12/1, I overnighted the documents 

Received an email from the school stating that they received my application 12/9

Received an email stating that my application was going to department review 12/23

Acceptance email 1/29 stating I have ten days to accept

GPA: 2.88

7 years of community and union organizing

BA in English--Literature and Raza Studies

Congrats on your acceptance!! ?

I have a question maybe you can help me out. I checked my application status and it said I have been granted admissions I went on mycsulb and accepted but have not received any email from the department. Did you find out first through email? Or the application status?