CSUN MSW Interview

B

Hi has anyone applied to CSUN MSW program? I just received an email to make make an appointment for an interview.  It said that the interview will contain group exercise, an individual question and a brief writing exercise. Im real freaking out. Does anyone know what question, writing, exercise they will ask? I appreciate anything you guys might know. Thanks.

Congrats on getting an interview! it seems like thats a step in the right direction. I applied to CSUN as well in December, but I have not received any email regarding an interview. When did you apply? & I think you will be okay. Just be yourself! & Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2016 at 8:07 PM, pinkofmyheart123 said:

Hello!

I got the same email earlier last week. I'm having the group interview this coming Wednesday. I'm a bit nervous. Hopefully all goes well. 

How did your interview go ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!  I interviewed with them about 2 weeks ago.  They said they won't be sending out any acceptance notifications for about 5-6 weeks.  The interview is pretty easy and goes by really fast. Be sure to dress appropriately (like professional job interview attire). You sit with a group of 5-7 other applicants and they have you answer a series of questions individually.  Then you are given a vignette, and you have to work together with your group to answer the question and analyze the passage, then present back to the group. 

Here are some questions you should be ready to answer/keep in mind:

-If not social work, what other type of career would you want? (I know, it's kind of a weird question), but a lot of people said something along the lines of "another career that involves helping people", etc)

-Why are you drawn to CSUN's Urban Family Practice generalist program?  Let me just say, SO many people did not answer this question "correctly".   Make sure you talk about why you are interested in Urban Family Practice, not just social work as a whole.  Give some examples about your experience working within an urban setting or with an urban population, OR why you might be interested in working with this population.  

-When you are given your group work, be sure to speak up and add something to the group presentation.

-Have a couple of questions prepared for the panelists.  They'll ask at the end if you have any last questions and it's always good to embrace that opportunity and speak up. 

The rest is honestly a blur, hahaha.  But I hope this was helpful! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. 

Just now, Sbjj0701 said:

Hello!  I interviewed with them about 2 weeks ago.  They said they won't be sending out any acceptance notifications for about 5-6 weeks.  The interview is pretty easy and goes by really fast. Be sure to dress appropriately (like professional job interview attire). You sit with a group of 5-7 other applicants and they have you answer a series of questions individually.  Then you are given a vignette, and you have to work together with your group to answer the question and analyze the passage, then present back to the group. 

Here are some questions you should be ready to answer/keep in mind:

-If not social work, what other type of career would you want? (I know, it's kind of a weird question), but a lot of people said something along the lines of "another career that involves helping people", etc)

-Why are you drawn to CSUN's Urban Family Practice generalist program?  Let me just say, SO many people did not answer this question "correctly".   Make sure you talk about why you are interested in Urban Family Practice, not just social work as a whole.  Give some examples about your experience working within an urban setting or with an urban population, OR why you might be interested in working with this population.  

-When you are given your group work, be sure to speak up and add something to the group presentation.

-Have a couple of questions prepared for the panelists.  They'll ask at the end if you have any last questions and it's always good to embrace that opportunity and speak up. 

The rest is honestly a blur, hahaha.  But I hope this was helpful! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. 

Oh and one more thing!  The writing portion is really quick and did not seem to carry a lot of weight.  The prompt was to write about the overall interview in a kind of "reflection piece"--things you enjoyed about the interview, and how the process made you feel about your grad school pursuits, etc.  They even mentioned "this does not need to be a beautifully written essay, we just want another writing sample from you.  And we do understand you are under a time constraint"...I would not stress about that part too much.  Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2016 at 9:32 AM, tapatio35 said:

Someone else on another topic in this forum said they got their acceptance from CSUN already...:(...but good for them.

I think I've been waitlisted. Just received an email asking me to make a cohort choice of either the two year or three year. It didnt mention that i was admitted into their program. I chose 2 year. But it looks like I won't be accepted to their program. Sucks...

Edited by Niklas

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all---I turned my app pkg in on Jan 11th or thereabouts.  I received an email from the admissions committee today (3-30) alerting me that my app hadn't been completely processed by the committee yet and that I should be sure to check my csun email diligently for any notices and information.  I'm reading here that at least one student had received a letter of acceptance as of March 10th.  Not sure what the email I received means but my hope is that all app's are being considered equally as long as they were received by the deadline.  Thanks to all who have posted here and a special thanks to SBjj0701--sooooo helpful!  I'll post whatever info I receive in hopes that it is a help to someone.  Best of luck to all!!!

Edited by muttlover3

5 minutes ago, muttlover3 said:

Hello all---I turned my app pkg in on Jan 11th or thereabouts.  I started the process in October and had everything ready but had issues getting some of my older transcripts.  I received an email from the admissions committee today alerting me that my app hadn't been completely processed by the committee yet and that I should be sure to check my csun email diligently for any notices and information.  I'm reading here that at least one student had received a letter of acceptance as of March 10th.  Not sure what the email I received means but my hope is that all app's are being considered equally as long as they were received by the deadline.  Thanks to all who have posted here and a special thanks to SBjj0701--sooooo helpful!  I'll post whatever info I receive in hopes that it is a help to someone.  Best of luck to all!!!

I got the same email from them today. This is the only correspondence since confirmation of receiving my application. Seems as though they are backed up with applicants and it's taking longer than they thought. Fingers crossed though!

Hi MSWinmyfuture--thanks so much for your speedy response!  Please post when you hear anything!  I'll do the same.  VERY BEST of luck to you!!!!

Edited by muttlover3

I got an acceptance 2-3 weeks ago, and also just got an email via their webmail about an orientation meeting on April 7. I'm also supposed to receive a packet via snail mail before then, but no sign of it yet. I haven't been asked to pay a deposit at all either, as yet.

I was invited and attended a group interview on March 7th.  Yesterday I too got the email about applications still being reviewed and that they were aiming to notify all applicants by 5/15.

Congrats to those who've been accepted!!!

I also applied to CSULB but no word yet. 

• 2 weeks later...