SDSU MSW Fall 2016

jclay005

2 hours ago, MSW2016 said:

@Karenn When you received your letter via mail, had your web portal already been updated? Would you mind sharing your stats?

No my web portal has not been updated yet. So I am sure it will get updated within the next few days.

last 60- was 3.41

GRE Writing score 4.5

Hours of experience were 1551

@jclay005 would you mind sharing your stats as well? Did you just get a letter in the mail or did you receive an email?

I submitted my app on 10/21 

last 60- 3.49

GRE- 4.5 

and I had 1900 hours of experience at the time I submitted my app.... Haven't heard anything yet though and I'm incredibly anxious.

Edited by MSW2016

I received a letter in the mail. 

Submitted app: 12/14

GPA: 3.5 

UCR Grad (Sociology)

GRE: 3.5

Volunteer Hours: 950 

& good luck to you! 

14 hours ago, MSW2016 said:

@jclay005 would you mind sharing your stats as well? Did you just get a letter in the mail or did you receive an email?

I submitted my app on 10/21 

last 60- 3.49

GRE- 4.5 

and I had 1900 hours of experience at the time I submitted my app.... Haven't heard anything yet though and I'm incredibly anxious.

@jclay005 do you know if San Marcos is accepting applications on a rolling basis? (I know last year they did) I skipped applying there because the program is what like 30k? But at this I'm filled with anxiety and it's almost the end of Feb! ... I'm also waiting to hear back from Monterey Bay. The wait sucks.

Congrats to everyone else who already received their acceptances :)

@MSW2016 I haven't, I'm already preparing for a rejection :/

GPA. 2.87

GRE 4.0

Hours at time of application: 10,380

Although my GPA isn't competitive my experience comes from multiple big orgs like MHS, SBCS, lobbying in Sacramento... amongst other diverse experience that I feel could help me where my GPA doesn't.

Guest histraveler

I applied right at the deadline and still haven't heard anything.

3.63 cumulative GPA (Double majoring in Psychology and Women & Gender Studies, minor in Sociology)

3.82 last 90 credits

4.0 for GRE

And I applied with over 700 hours but stated that I'm still currently involved with my work

I'm also still waiting.  I applied on 12/13 and had to file a petition for reinstatement (long story behind that one) which might have delayed my application a bit. 

GPA in last two years of undergrad: 3.06

GRE: 3.5 (also have on record with SDSU my old scores of 4.5 and 5.0)

Hours: 20,000+

I too am worried. I will be attending if I am admitted.

3 hours ago, wanderlustinginstead said:

@jclay005 do you know if San Marcos is accepting applications on a rolling basis? (I know last year they did) I skipped applying there because the program is what like 30k? But at this I'm filled with anxiety and it's almost the end of Feb! ... I'm also waiting to hear back from Monterey Bay. The wait sucks.

I am not sure, if it is rolling admission, but they extended the deadline to February 29 or so. Did you apply to San Marcos this year? & yeah it's pricey at 30k, but I like how small it is and it's closer to my area.

I got into the 3 year track! I checked the mail last night, I received the letter apparently this weekend 2/19/16 (almost missed the deadline) I'm excited, it will take a little longer but I'm happy :) My webportal has not been updated therefor I had no idea. Check your mail everyone else who is still waiting!

On 2/23/2016 at 11:26 AM, wanderlustinginstead said:

From what I know, yes San Marcos does accept applications on a rolling basis. I know they had a priority deadline, but I am not aware of an official final deadline.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 4:54 PM, jclay005 said:

I was admitted to the 3 year Direct Practice on 2/17, but I am going to attend San Marcos instead. I want to get my MSW as soon as possible and 3 years is just too long for me. So hopefully this opens up a spot for someone else. 

Can I ask how long it took to hear back from San Marcos?

Would any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to attend the 3 year track at SDSU? I've been trying to calculate and the number seems "low", I'm getting about 14k for the 3 years. I was accepted into the 2 year track at Monterey Bay so now it's gonna have to come down to the numbers. I have lived in San Diego all my life so my support system is here, but like others, finishing in 3 years seems quite long. I have to decide ASAP to accept Monterey Bay.

I was accepted a couple weeks ago to their 2 year program. I applied to the Title IV-E Child Welfare program - has anyone heard from them about this? Also, has anyone heard about funding? I am pretty set on UT but funding would change things! 

7 hours ago, wanderlustinginstead said:

Would any of you have an idea of how much it would cost to attend the 3 year track at SDSU? I've been trying to calculate and the number seems "low", I'm getting about 14k for the 3 years. I was accepted into the 2 year track at Monterey Bay so now it's gonna have to come down to the numbers. I have lived in San Diego all my life so my support system is here, but like others, finishing in 3 years seems quite long. I have to decide ASAP to accept Monterey Bay.

Well, I'm not sure if the 3 year track is adjusted any differently, but the tuition and fees for each year (going full time) for the 2 year track is $8350 total for one year. This is coming directly from my financial aid award summary, which I received tonight. So total for the 2 year track comes out to $16,700 just for tuition and fees.

They estimate the other expenses related to cost of attendance (housing, food, transportation, books) to be another $15,918 per year so TOTAL estimated cost of attendance including both tuition, fees, and other living expenses comes out to $24,268 per year. Of course, this number could vary depending on your situation in life (living at home with parents, etc.). I am not sure what this number becomes for a 3 or 4 year track program though.

I assume that tuition costs would likely be the same, especially if you're paying for the same number of units. However, the other living costs related to going to graduate school would probably be more because you're having to go to school for another year or two. I hope that helps some!

I grew up in San Diego my whole life also so my support system is there as well. I will save some of the costs of attending graduate school by living with either my mom or dad. I have mixed feelings about that, but I am grateful for the opportunity.

Congratulations by the way on acceptances to both SDSU and Monterey Bay! Good luck on your decision :)

56 minutes ago, lizlizliz said:

I was accepted a couple weeks ago to their 2 year program. I applied to the Title IV-E Child Welfare program - has anyone heard from them about this? Also, has anyone heard about funding? I am pretty set on UT but funding would change things! 

Congratulations on your acceptance to the 2 year program! I was also admitted to the 2 year Direct Practice track, but I ultimately decided not to apply for the Title IV-E program. Another poster on this thread (@tine) also mentioned to me that she applied for Title IV-E, but I have not heard any other news about it. You might want to message her.

I received my financial aid package tonight and was notified by email to check my AidLink award summary. I was shocked and excited to see that I was awarded a State University Grant for the year that covers a little more than 3/4 worth of the tuition for the first year. This is the first time I have ever been awarded a grant as I have only ever been given loans throughout my undergraduate degree. Other than the grant, I was of course offer the typical Unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan to make up the rest of what they "estimate" it costs to attend. I do not plan on taking out as much as they offered. Still waiting to hear back on whether I received any of the few scholarships that I applied for through SDSU.

I just got this email from the program director, "I wanted to let you know we have completed our admissions process and that you scored  high. Currently all of our 2 YR  slots are full. On APRIL 18th we will be able to tell you if we can offer you a slot in the 2 YR or 3 YR MSW program.  I am aware that you need to pay a $400. non refundable deposit by APRIL 15th. You may call me or email me on APRIL 12th and I will be able to share with you where we are at with the process. There are applicants who say they are coming to SDSU and for one reason or another do not, this may  open some slots in one of our programs.  If you know you are not coming to SDSU at any given point, please send me an email as I have along waiting list.  I hope this assist with your planning.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me."

13 hours ago, lizlizliz said:

Congrats on getting accepted! :)

I know someone who got title IV last year and the process took about 1-2 months post admission to the program.  I believe the contact person for the stipend (Ken) would call you to schedule an interview and about 2 weeks after that you would be notified. You should call him, I'm sure he would get back to you fairly quick from what I remember. I did not apply for the stipend.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

My name is Sasha, and I'm so happy to be one of the members of the incoming class at SDSU this fall! I never had a chance to post in this forum during the application process, but now that everything is for the most part over and done with (thankfully!) and we are about to start classes soon, I wanted to let you know that I created an incoming SDSU MSW group on Facebook. It's name is "SDSU MSW - Incoming Class of 2016-2017". Hypothetically, you should be able to find it just by searching the name in Facebook's search box. If you can't for one reason or another, please PM me and I can add you!

Looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall! 

Sasha :)