Boren 2016-2017

Letsgoooooo

Just got offered the Boren!! Ahh, I'm so ecstatic to be starting my research abroad! The e-mail says all acceptance notifications have been sent out. Anyone else get the offer?

Just kidding. I know everyone's biting their nails and obsessively refreshing e-mails, so I thought I'd add in a little humor, albeit cruel. Don't hate me XD

Boren estimates announcing the week of April 18th. I just emailed them to get a sense of what back up options I need to get lined up. They didn't mention anything about another budget update, at least not for Fellowship applicants. Anything earlier than the 18th, it would seem to me, is unlikely, and not worth waiting for. 

I've been obsessing over this constantly so I feel like I've found my people!

My budget email said "We are emailing all 2016 Boren Scholarship AFLI applicants to see if you have any changes to your Scholarship budget." so I'm confused about the one they sent to non-AFLI applicants. 

Is anyone else applying to study French in Senegal with AFLI? 

I have not received a second budget email (I am applying for a Boren Scholarship to study Arabic in Morocco).
My advisor, who reads essays for the committee laughed when I said we may or may not hear within the next two weeks (this week or next). He said the last two weeks of April would be a better estimate. So whoever said the 18th is probably right. Additionally, he informed me that there have been years in the past in which they didn't notify those who did not get awarded the scholarship - only those who were awarded it.

I don't know what to expect anymore then if that's the case...

Edited by MoroccanMadam

Just stumbled upon this forum and kind of sad now that I did. 

I guess we are all in this pool of anxiousness.

I also received a budget update email, though you all covered that topic in the thread and confirmed my thoughts that they actually sent it out to everyone this time. 

I applied to the Mozambique program and also received the two budget updates, as well as a personal communication from an AFLI person who wanted to confirm my lack of response meant no changes/updates. 

I guess I'm taking that as a favorable indication?? This is all so stressful.

I'm hoping we find out sometime next week since the budget emails were sent out earlier this year. I mean last year they found out on the 15th and their budget emails were sent out later. 

Just thoughts 

Hey everyone! 

First, I'm extremely excited that I stumbled upon this forum. I've been searching for applicant groups on Facebook and haven't found anything. I've been reading all of the above posts and I'm glad I'm not the only nervous one! 

My name is Brandon, and I am a freshman at Loyola University Chicago. I know I'm probably one of the younger ones, but I applied for a Boren scholarship to study Thai in Thailand with the USAC program. I previously studied for one year in Thailand with the YES Abroad program (State Department high school scholarship program, similar to CBYX and NSLI-Y) my senior year of high school. I can't wait to go back! Hopefully I receive the scholarship, but I will still be going abroad if I do not.

Nice to (kind of) meet all of you! Good luck!

Today (Friday) may be the day! Who knows. 

Thought this would be helpful. I asked about the budget (I am a Fellowship applicant) and the notification date and received this answer:

We sent out one massive budget update request to everyone and now and then we need to correct something we notice as we go through each applicant. Not all applicants will get a second budget email, especially if they didn’t have any anomalies. It doesn’t indicate you are or are not still in the running.

We will announce the week of the 18th.

Regards,

Michael

I'm a fellowship applicant.

I received a second budget update a few weeks ago; however, it was super specific to my proposed program, and essentially asked me to lengthen my program by a few weeks, so as to not fall under the budget's requested length. 

It's unfortunate that we won't hear until the 18th (though I'm still hopefully that they'll let us know next week), but its nice to have a more concrete time frame. Thanks for emailing them and asking @triscuit