Boren 2016-2017

Letsgoooooo

I just found this forum! I'm a sophomore at Georgetown University, majoring in Regional and Comparative Studies, with a concentration on the intersection between international security, gender, and human rights in Northeast Asia. I applied for the scholarship to spend June 2016 - February 2017 interning and taking classes at Yonsei University in South Korea. I am SO NERVOUS... I want this scholarship so frickin' bad and spent months on my application >< I did not receive a second budget update email, but I did receive the first one. I had to make some pretty major changes (the tuition to go through a program is a lot more than enrolling directly, but my school wouldn't let me do it independently -.-), but the final amount was approximately the same since the program covers housing and some other things. I really hope that doesn't affect my results ^^;; 

I recently found out that I got a grant for my internship/research in Seoul this summer, and I could potentially use some of that money to get to Korea sooner (before June 1) and more cheaply... Should I book the tickets now, or wait until the Boren results come out? I don't want the price to go up too much, but I also don't want to pay for a ticket that I could potentially get for free... 

Also, my original first choice was Koryeo University, but I had to switch it to my alternate (CIEE Yonsei) because my school wouldn't let me apply as an independent... I indicated the tuition change in my budget update email, but I didn't say that I had switched to my alternate program... Should I say something now, or do you think it would hurt me more than it's worth..? 

@SarahsSeoulSearch Hey Sarah, I heard from someone who is in my program (but a year ahead of me) who has Boren now that they are really flexible once you get it, so I wouldn't worry about details unless you were dramatically changing everything (like the language or something). We are finding out about the results very soon, so if I were you I would wait to buy the airfare.

Edited by triscuit

@SarahsSeoulSearch Personally I think I would just get the ticket now. Within the flight budget, I believe we were supposed to allocate for fees which could include cancellation/rebooking of a new flight. Assuming you made the flight cost high enough, I think you should be in god shape. Koryeo is amazing, that’s where I was this past summer! Also, I’ve definitely seen some of your videos on YouTube, assuming you’re the same person :D 

Just found this today, glad to see I'm not the only one anxious about this. Going for Brazil as a STEM major and not feeling too great after seeing there was a second budget email sent out...

Boren Fellowship hopeful for Seoul, South Korea from Penn. Got a few budget questions from Michael but I'm too nervous to take that as a good sign! Also, echoing the nervous sentiments of the rest of yall in this thread! I'm checking my email multiple times an hour as well =T

@maybemuscat The summer program would be with SIT and the fall program with the University of Jordan. Also, since you are graduating this May, is there any reason you didn't apply for the fellowship instead of the scholarship? I'm a junior this year and I might reapply for one or the other next year if this year doesn't work out, so I was wondering! 

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard anything specifically about the AFLI program? I'm not sure if the notification dates will be different because our budget emails were sent out a lot later. I'm a little anxious because it'll really impact my summer plans if I get the scholarship due to the domestic program.

@Abby08 Very cool! I didn't apply for the Fellowship since I'm not in grad school nor had I been applying to grad school -- that might be later down the road for me at this point. So I was only eligible for the Scholarship :)

2 hours ago, maybemuscat said:

@Abby08 Very cool! I didn't apply for the Fellowship since I'm not in grad school nor had I been applying to grad school -- that might be later down the road for me at this point. So I was only eligible for the Scholarship :)

@maybemuscat You will defer graduation for one year to take part in the scholarship if you are accepted?  Will you eventually go to grad school?