MSW - SJSU Fall 2016

HopflSW

Hi 

I am starting this thread in the hopes that I can connect with others who have applied to SJSU's MSW program for Fall 2016.  I submitted my appllication on January 15th.  

I have a strong GPA 4.0  and about 1700 hours of related volunteering/internship but still not certain I will get in.

I am wondering if anyone knows how many applicants will be accepted this year?

I went to the informational meeting back in October and they said they are hopeful of accepting more people this year than they previously have. My GPA is average, but I do have over 2200 hours of work and internship experience. Time to just sit back and wait!

6 hours ago, lbalt92 said:

I went to the informational meeting back in October and they said they are hopeful of accepting more people this year than they previously have. My GPA is average, but I do have over 2200 hours of work and internship experience. Time to just sit back and wait!

That's definitely good news.. If they are considering accepting more candidates this year. Let's keep our hopes up! 

5 hours ago, pickfights said:

I am applying as well. Do you know how big the cohort usually is? I know SFSU is very tiny.

My co-worker who just graduated last year said they are no longer doing cohorts, but I may be wrong. 

I submitted my application on Jan. 19th with a concentration in Children, Youth, and Families...It's the only school I applied to so *fingers crossed* (currently getting my BSW from SJSU and love it there)

My GPA is around 3.1-3.3 for the last 60 units) but I did document over 3,000 hours in social work experience through jobs and internships working with the elderly, children with developmental disabilities/learning deficiencies, as well as interning with CPS.

I want to say my autobiographical statement is decent, but I keep going back to it and realizing things I could have drastically improved on...

Edited by vnssmsw16

4 hours ago, vnssmsw16 said:

I submitted my application on Jan. 19th with a concentration in Children, Youth, and Families...It's the only school I applied to so *fingers crossed* (currently getting my BSW from SJSU and love it there)

My GPA is around 3.1-3.3 for the last 60 units) but I did document over 3,000 hours in social work experience through jobs and internships working with the elderly, children with developmental disabilities/learning deficiencies, as well as interning with CPS.

I want to say my autobiographical statement is decent, but I keep going back to it and realizing things I could have drastically improved on...

Hi! Since you're at SJSU now have you heard any info about how many they may be accepting? I saw old threads saying they were accepting less but these were from like 2014. Good luck!

I asked a friend (currently in the master's program) and she said she heard they'll admit about 60-80 students, don't quote me on that though!

I'll ask this week and come with a more solid answer :)

On January 24, 2016 at 6:03 PM, lbalt92 said:

Hi! Since you're at SJSU now have you heard any info about how many they may be accepting? I saw old threads saying they were accepting less but these were from like 2014. Good luck!

I asked a friend (currently in the master's program) and she said she heard they'll admit about 60-80 students, don't quote me on that though!

I'll ask this week and come with a more solid answer :)

On January 19, 2016 at 9:37 AM, HopflSW said:

Hi 

I am starting this thread in the hopes that I can connect with others who have applied to SJSU's MSW program for Fall 2016.  I submitted my appllication on January 15th.  

I have a strong GPA 4.0  and about 1700 hours of related volunteering/internship but still not certain I will get in.

I am wondering if anyone knows how many applicants will be accepted this year?

Congrats on your GPA! I replied to another post on here saying I heard it was about 60-80 but not 100% sure...what concentration did you apply for?

On 1/21/2016 at 9:13 PM, lbalt92 said:

Hopefully! It's the only school I applied to.

This is also the only school I applied to two. I kinda regret not applying elsewhere in order to increase my chances. Oh well, I am still hopeful!

3 hours ago, vnssmsw16 said:

Yea, my coworker (graduated last year from MSW program) also mentioned they were accepting around 80 into the program. Hopefully they accept more this year though, it will increase ALL of our chances :) I applied for the 3 year health/mental health program, fingers crossed!

8 hours ago, vnssmsw16 said:

On 1/19/2016 at 9:37 AM, HopflSW said:

Edited by HopflSW
incorrectly posted

8 hours ago, vnssmsw16 said:

Congrats on your GPA! I replied to another post on here saying I heard it was about 60-80 but not 100% sure...what concentration did you apply for?

Ok - I am fairly new to this type of forum so not sure if I am posting this in the correct place - responding to VNSSMSW16.  I have applied for the Health, Mental Health Concentration.  How about you?  

Also I have heard that approx. 400 applications are sent each year that means only 20% of us will get in - can in be that bad.  I sure hope not.

I wonder how many they accept into each of the concentrations. Do they accept more into certain concentrations? I applied for a concentration in school social work. I've been working at a crisis program with at-risk teenagers so I hope to continue working with teens in the school setting.

Good morning, 

So, I couldn't take the wait. I went to the SW office today and asked some questions. 

The lady at the front desk was really sweet and patient with me. It appears yearly there are about 400-500 applicants. She was not able to tell me how many applied this year. She noted that last year 88 were admitted to the program. She's hopeful they will accept at least 100 this year. 

What makes a strong candidate.. Significant experience about 2500-3000 hours. But she said any experience if tied somehow to "social work" can work as well. It's all about how you show case yourself in your personal statement.

Strong personal statement of course, which demonstrates your writing skills, how well you follow directions and of course demonstrates why would you be fit for their program.

As for references, I was curious if they needed to be done by MSW's in order to be strong. She said no, but they do take into account the social Capitol of that person. I had a director, COO and program manager write me letters. I also had and ASW, but she said they will only read the 1st 3 references that are submitted (she was the last one). 

Also, due to competitiveness, strong GPA is going to make you a strong candidate. I have to say, I'm a bit worried about this one.. it wasn't smooth sailing for me during my undergraduate studies. I tried to point this out in my statement indirectly. It's going to take a little bit of faith at this point. 

They will start reviewing applications soon! Sending my best withes to all of you. 

5 hours ago, Mesanta said:

Good morning, 

So, I couldn't take the wait. I went to the SW office today and asked some questions. 

The lady at the front desk was really sweet and patient with me. It appears yearly there are about 400-500 applicants. She was not able to tell me how many applied this year. She noted that last year 88 were admitted to the program. She's hopeful they will accept at least 100 this year. 

What makes a strong candidate.. Significant experience about 2500-3000 hours. But she said any experience if tied somehow to "social work" can work as well. It's all about how you show case yourself in your personal statement.

Strong personal statement of course, which demonstrates your writing skills, how well you follow directions and of course demonstrates why would you be fit for their program.

As for references, I was curious if they needed to be done by MSW's in order to be strong. She said no, but they do take into account the social Capitol of that person. I had a director, COO and program manager write me letters. I also had and ASW, but she said they will only read the 1st 3 references that are submitted (she was the last one). 

Also, due to competitiveness, strong GPA is going to make you a strong candidate. I have to say, I'm a bit worried about this one.. it wasn't smooth sailing for me during my undergraduate studies. I tried to point this out in my statement indirectly. It's going to take a little bit of faith at this point. 

They will start reviewing applications soon! Sending my best withes to all of you. 

This is super helpful!! Thank you so much Mesanta!

As for your undergraduate GPA they calculate your last 60 semester/90 quarter units...are you worried about your cumulative or last units as well?

I think if you were able to explain in your statement why you were having a hard time in your undergraduate career, and have strong LORs and experience you should definitely keep faith ?

21 hours ago, HopflSW said:

Ok - I am fairly new to this type of forum so not sure if I am posting this in the correct place - responding to VNSSMSW16.  I have applied for the Health, Mental Health Concentration.  How about you?  

Also I have heard that approx. 400 applications are sent each year that means only 20% of us will get in - can in be that bad.  I sure hope not.

Hi HopflwSW,

i totally am confused about how this works too lol and I applied with the Children Youth and Families concentration

2 hours ago, vnssmsw16 said:

This is super helpful!! Thank you so much Mesanta!

As for your undergraduate GPA they calculate your last 60 semester/90 quarter units...are you worried about your cumulative or last units as well?

I think if you were able to explain in your statement why you were having a hard time in your undergraduate career, and have strong LORs and experience you should definitely keep faith ?

You are very welcome! 

And thank you so much for that clarification..I just realized it is higher than I thought. I was calculating it wrong. :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I got the email about the online option and checked that I would be interested in both. I live in San Francisco, so the thought of commuting to SJ was doable, but I wasn't thrilled about it. I'm also hoping that by saying I'm interested in both I up my chances of getting in to either ;) 

What about yall?

Same here, I put I was interested in both. However, to be quite honest I prefer to do campus-based. I am local to San Jose AND It's cheaper! lol but just like you, I wanted to up my chances of getting in :) I'm wondering if they will give us an option to choose...I hope so. Are you part-time or full-time? Which concentration did you apply for?

On 1/25/2016 at 0:37 PM, vnssmsw16 said:

I have also responded to the email that I am interested in both campus and online MSW - however I really would prefer the campus program.  Glad to have another option though.  I have also applied to CSUMB's MSW - those are the only two I applied to.