MSW - SJSU Fall 2016

HopflSW

From whom did you get the response at SJSU?  I sent an email to Jack Wall on April 14th but he didn't answer.  I'd ask again but I don't want to seem like a nuisance.  Tabia has responded, but her answer is a generic "we are almost done" which has been the standard answer for the past month.

FYI, I applied for the 3 year part time program and I am a current county worker in Child Welfare.  Two of my colleagues were already accepted into the on-campus part time program.  One of them already interviewed on Friday for the Title IV-E stipend, if this information helps anyone.

I got a response from a professor that Dr. Wall told me to email, but she gave me a generic answer as well. Each time I called Tabia, since mid April, she would say they need 2 more weeks and then two weeks would pass and then she'd say another week and then another...Not too sure what's going on there.

If you are sending the director a request for status, I'd recommend a brief (a couple of sentences) refresh to why you believe the MSW program at SJSU is your top choice. Anything unique to this program that interest you or challenge you. All these are in your personal statement but they went through so many that it's hard to remember everything about every applicant.

12 hours ago, LoveMSW2016 said:

If you are sending the director a request for status, I'd recommend a brief (a couple of sentences) refresh to why you believe the MSW program at SJSU is your top choice. Anything unique to this program that interest you or challenge you. All these are in your personal statement but they went through so many that it's hard to remember everything about every applicant.

I did tell them that I wanted to reiterate my interest, that SJSU is my top choice, etc. I have emailed them twice already since early April so I don't know if it would be too much to email again. 

5 hours ago, Kristen Kay said:

Is anyone from the online cohort attending the Field Placement Fair for Bay Area students on Tuesday, May 24th?  Looking forward to meeting some of you!

@Kristen Kay How did you receive the information about the Field Placement Fair?  I haven't heard anything about it. Has anyone in the 3 year program receive anything other the admit letter?

12 hours ago, LoveMSW2016 said:

@Kristen Kay How did you receive the information about the Field Placement Fair?  I haven't heard anything about it. Has anyone in the 3 year program receive anything other the admit letter?

@LoveMSW2016 I received an e-mail last week from Jacky Bloom, SJSU's Director of Field Education for the School of Social Work, letting me know the date of the Fair, and what to expect.  She said she would be sending out additional forms (a field placement application and list of employers who won't be able to attend the fair) shortly. 

If you are in the 3 year program, I believe your internship doesn't start until the 2nd year of study, so you fortunately have some time to research field placement options!  I've been looking around on my own at agencies SJSU has partnered with before for MSW internships, and they have worked with some pretty cool places.  Can't wait to get started! 

13 hours ago, lbalt92 said:

Does anyone know how the registration process works? Like when do we sign up for classes and which ones? 

I just received an email from the school to check MySJSU for class registration date.

5 hours ago, seaotter said:

On your my.sjsu account it tells you when registration opens for you:

We all have to take the following classes: SCWK 202, 212, 220, 240, 230

Thank you!