DrPH Admission Decision Waiting Game - Apps, Interviews and Final Decisions!

DrPH_HI

So I thought it would be nice to start a new board for those applying and waiting to hear back regarding DrPH programs. This isn't  my first rodeo. I applied previously to 4 programs, got into 2 but decided those two weren't the best two for my career goals. The two I didn't gain admission to were better fits. So this cycle I reapplied to both program and added one more. I am waiting to hear back from the following schools:

Johns Hopkins
University of Illinois Chicago
University of North Carolina

Would love to hear where everyone else is trying to go, who has had interviews and who was accepted (or rejected :-/) 

Let the waiting begin!

On 1/20/2016 at 9:44 AM, DrPH_HI said:

So I thought it would be nice to start a new board for those applying and waiting to hear back regarding DrPH programs. This isn't  my first rodeo. I applied previously to 4 programs, got into 2 but decided those two weren't the best two for my career goals. The two I didn't gain admission to were better fits. So this cycle I reapplied to both program and added one more. I am waiting to hear back from the following schools:

Johns Hopkins
University of Illinois Chicago
University of North Carolina

Would love to hear where everyone else is trying to go, who has had interviews and who was accepted (or rejected :-/) 

Let the waiting begin!

Hi, so far it seems interviews are trickling out for Harvard, GWU & Columbia (Columbia DrPH interview last week reported on the Student Doctor Forum). Good luck with your apps! You mentioned having gotten accepted to two programs in previous years. Please do share your overall experience and why you decided to wait it out and apply again. 

On 1/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, DrPH2016 said:

Hi, so far it seems interviews are trickling out for Harvard, GWU & Columbia (Columbia DrPH interview last week reported on the Student Doctor Forum). Good luck with your apps! You mentioned having gotten accepted to two programs in previous years. Please do share your overall experience and why you decided to wait it out and apply again. 

Thanks for the response. I've only recently understood how to use the results search element of this site and noticed the same in regards to the schools who have extended interviews to candidates. 

As for the programs I was accepted to previously, both were state schools. One of the schools was out of state and therefore done via Skype. The nature of the questions for the out of state school centered around my current professional role and responsibilities; interest in their specific program; ease of relocation and the importance of financial support in making a decision to matriculate. Additionally, we touched on my dissertation research interests. The program director and professor were the persons I met with. They were very amiable thus making the interviewing process pleasant. They offered a graduate assistantship and a scholarship. I decided not to pursue this program due to the heightened emphasis on the need for students to do school full time and little to no work. 

The other program was within my state of residence. The interview process was rotational in nature. Each student met with 2 members of the admission panel at a time ... and if my memory serves me well there were about 4 interviews total. Again, the types of questions asked were about professional experience, motivation for pursuing the DrPH, and dissertation and research interests. I volunteered information regarding which professors I would like to align with which appeared to impress the panel because it demonstrates how much thought I put into their program's fit for me.

I decided to wait and apply again this cycle because I discovered an amazing track at Johns Hopkins ... which is EXACTLY what I need to develop the competencies needed to excel as I would like, in my field. At UNC, I identified a professor who is very interested in being my mentor and advisor with expertise in my area of specialty. I could see myself heavily involved in his research efforts. The UIC distance learning format and choices of electives offer more flexibility for my personal life, current professional commitments and desire to pursue the DrPH. 

I hope all of this useful!!!!

On 1/28/2016 at 11:56 AM, DrPH_HI said:

Thanks for the response. I've only recently understood how to use the results search element of this site and noticed the same in regards to the schools who have extended interviews to candidates. 

As for the programs I was accepted to previously, both were state schools. One of the schools was out of state and therefore done via Skype. The nature of the questions for the out of state school centered around my current professional role and responsibilities; interest in their specific program; ease of relocation and the importance of financial support in making a decision to matriculate. Additionally, we touched on my dissertation research interests. The program director and professor were the persons I met with. They were very amiable thus making the interviewing process pleasant. They offered a graduate assistantship and a scholarship. I decided not to pursue this program due to the heightened emphasis on the need for students to do school full time and little to no work. 

The other program was within my state of residence. The interview process was rotational in nature. Each student met with 2 members of the admission panel at a time ... and if my memory serves me well there were about 4 interviews total. Again, the types of questions asked were about professional experience, motivation for pursuing the DrPH, and dissertation and research interests. I volunteered information regarding which professors I would like to align with which appeared to impress the panel because it demonstrates how much thought I put into their program's fit for me.

I decided to wait and apply again this cycle because I discovered an amazing track at Johns Hopkins ... which is EXACTLY what I need to develop the competencies needed to excel as I would like, in my field. At UNC, I identified a professor who is very interested in being my mentor and advisor with expertise in my area of specialty. I could see myself heavily involved in his research efforts. The UIC distance learning format and choices of electives offer more flexibility for my personal life, current professional commitments and desire to pursue the DrPH. 

I hope all of this useful!!!!

Thank you, that was indeed very helpful! A lot of these factors are something I have in mind as well. The interview process sounds intense. I wonder with 20-30 minute time slots just how much can get articulated regarding your vision for the program. I have also considered the benefits of working and pursuing a degree simultaneously versus doing it F/T. Each option has its own merits. It is very helpful to hear your thought process around your decision making based on the options I'm weighing currently as well (cost of living, losing an income and years of experience etc.) 

Good luck with all your apps! Look forward to hearing more from you soon.

On 1/29/2016 at 4:20 PM, AlphacentauriC said:

Nice thread. I too applied to a few DrPH programs, including Tufts, Tulane etc. My Sophas file just became complete, so I should be hearing from some of them soon. Good luck guys....

Good luck to you too! I discovered the DrPH at Tufts way late in the game. It looked interesting for sure. Let's hope we hear from these programs soon-ish! :) 

My wait officially starts today! My file is finally complete and verified.

The list:

1. Tulane - DrPH
  2. Tufts - DrPH
  3. Minnesota - PhD
  4. UIC - DrPH
  5. Ohio State - PhD
  6. Texas - DrPH
  7. Boston - DrPH
  8. Texas A&M - DrPH
  9. UCLA - PhD
  10. UAB - DrPH
  11. Kentucky - DrPH

All programs....health services research. I will update everyone with my experience for all these schools.

An MBA2, also getting job offers. February - April 2016 could be huge for me. Can't wait!

Let the games begin!!

Edited by AlphacentauriC

Hello all. I'm glad to see all of the waiters chiming in. I certainly have been experiencing anxiety!!! I look forward to following everyone's progress throughout the admissions process. Glad to see someone else to compare notes with regarding UIC too. 

Question for the group. How does everyone hope to fund their programs? Right now, I have loans, savings and tuition reimbursement through work as means. 

That's all for now!

Thank you for sharing. I did apply for DrPH program in Epi department at JHSPH. Which department did you apply? I heard that currently JHSPH only opens its DrPH program in Epi and HPM department and they are doing their application process separately. DrPH in Epi department only has one or two spots and HPM has some more.  JHSPH will open school-wide DrPH program (like school wide MPH for now) for 2017. 

23 hours ago, DrPH_HI said:

Hello all. I'm glad to see all of the waiters chiming in. I certainly have been experiencing anxiety!!! I look forward to following everyone's progress throughout the admissions process. Glad to see someone else to compare notes with regarding UIC too. 

Question for the group. How does everyone hope to fund their programs? Right now, I have loans, savings and tuition reimbursement through work as means. 

That's all for now!

I am really hoping for support on some level (merit based scholarships, GRA opportunities) even though I am fully aware that DrPH programs are not known for offering funding. The presence or absence of support will impact my decision in the end on whether there are opportunities to offset the cost of living and tuition. If not, I will probably go to a local program and work + pay for school or do a FT PhD program with funding support if I have that option on the table.

6 hours ago, DrPH2016 said:

I am really hoping for support on some level (merit based scholarships, GRA opportunities) even though I am fully aware that DrPH programs are not known for offering funding. The presence or absence of support will impact my decision in the end on whether there are opportunities to offset the cost of living and tuition. If not, I will probably go to a local program and work + pay for school or do a FT PhD program with funding support if I have that option on the table.

Yeah, funding is an issue. But I am committed. I will just have to find out, search for scholarships etc. If I get into the right program, I will find the money.

On 2/6/2016 at 4:51 PM, DrPH2016 said:

DrPH2016, which programs are you waiting to hear from? I know there are some programs with opportunitites for GRAs ... I also thinks its possible to find a professor doing work your realm of interest and "creating" an opportunity if you're successful in demonstrating the synergies between your interests and their work ... and of course what you would bring to table as a GRA. 

On 2/6/2016 at 11:14 PM, dduck said:

Thank you for sharing. I did apply for DrPH program in Epi department at JHSPH. Which department did you apply? I heard that currently JHSPH only opens its DrPH program in Epi and HPM department and they are doing their application process separately. DrPH in Epi department only has one or two spots and HPM has some more.  JHSPH will open school-wide DrPH program (like school wide MPH for now) for 2017. 

dduck, I applied to the HPM department. I am quite curious to find out what the major differences will be between the current program format and the one underdevelopment. Not sure I comprehend what they meann by school - wide DrPH program. Will there still be opportunities to specializes?

22 hours ago, AlphacentauriC said:

Yeah, funding is an issue. But I am committed. I will just have to find out, search for scholarships etc. If I get into the right program, I will find the money.

AlphacentauriC, I am right there with you. I'm sincerely dedicated to getting in and making it work. That said, SCHOLARSHIPS please! LOL

On February 8, 2016 at 9:47 PM, DrPH_HI said:

dduck, I applied to the HPM department. I am quite curious to find out what the major differences will be between the current program format and the one underdevelopment. Not sure I comprehend what they meann by school - wide DrPH program. Will there still be opportunities to specializes?

Dear DRPH_HI. 

I applied to DrPH in Epi department, and I had a interview last week. Hope that this week, Epi department can send an e-mail to students. Major difference between current DrPH and revised school-wide DrPH is you can do your school-wide DrPH while you are doing your work anywhere in the world. They will provide 10 days intensive lecture in summer and winter, rest of them you can take all the other courses from online. Moreover, you can have concentration on school-wide DrPH like Environmental Health, International Health etc. 

But Epidemiology department and HPM department won't join that school-wide DrPH. 

I applied to Harvard and BU for the DrPH. I had an interview at BU a few weeks ago. They said they only interview 1/5 of the applicants and that although they have space for about 10, the last 5 years they've only accepted 7-8 each year. A friend in the program said the director told her they interviewed about 25 people. 

I haven't heard anything from Harvard though it seems like I probably would have been asked for an interview by now...

@Pszczolka Nice update. Must be tough then, I mean for the BU. I recently received the standard email that the adcom is reviewing my file. I think that my application is a long shot one. Your statements just confirmed my worst fears.....means I have just lost all hope. What a shame! So....I guess I will start the wait for the rejection letter. :(.

On 2/5/2016 at 1:53 PM, CTDrPH said:

Hi, all!

I have been lurking for a little while now and thought I would join the discussion at last. I have applied to the following:

1. Tulane - DrPH
2. Texas A&M - DrPH
3. UT - DrPH
4. University of Colorado - DrPH
5. Georgia Southern University - DrPH
6. LSU - PhD

I submitted my application via SOPHAS back in late November.

So far, I have heard back from Georgia Southern University, with the statement that I have been recommended by the college of public health to the office of graduate studies. (I have heard mixed reviews on whether or not this means I will inevitably be accepted). I have only gotten the typical "we have received your application" emails from the other schools.

I'll be sure to post back if I should hear from any of the above. Wishing all of you the best of luck!

I heard back from Southern around the same time you did.  They called me this morning for a 15 min advisement session.  You're basically accepted, all of the formal paperwork from Southern comes within the next week or two.  Congratulations!

I've been obsessively checking the results page and this thread. Finally started hearing back from schools so I decided to share the joyous *insert sarcasm* news.

1. Tulane -rejected 2/10/16
2. GWU -interviewed 1/28/16; rejected 2/15/16
3. Pittsburgh -rejected 2/8/16
4. Texas -rejected 2/20/16
5. Berkeley -anxiously waiting
6. UGA -impatiently waiting
7. Drexel- waiting with bated breath (sis got into the Clinical Psych PhD program-so excited for her!)
8. Columbia-waiting but expecting the big R
9. Harvard- waiting but this was a  long shot to start with