2016 Historic Preservation MA applicants

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WorthyIvy said:

Hey!! Funny, I actually applied to the dual program (MArch/MHP). The waiting game is definitely stressful!! I haven't heard anything yet. 

Yay! That's great! I checked the results page on here and it looks like the MHP program notified on Feb 27th last year.  I was hoping it would be a little earlier, but waiting 3 weeks more won't be too terrible.  Best of luck to you!

On 2/5/2016 at 5:51 PM, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Yay! That's great! I checked the results page on here and it looks like the MHP program notified on Feb 27th last year.  I was hoping it would be a little earlier, but waiting 3 weeks more won't be too terrible.  Best of luck to you!

Ditto :) I'm anxiously waiting (read: dying inside). My application still reads under departmental review. If you hear anything, let me know! I'll do the same. 

On 2/5/2016 at 3:00 PM, WorthyIvy said:
23 hours ago, WorthyIvy said:

Ditto :) I'm anxiously waiting (read: dying inside). My application still reads under departmental review. If you hear anything, let me know! I'll do the same. 

Will do! Did you apply to any other programs this application season?

Actually I did not. Maryland is the best fit for me, program wise and location. I really wanted to apply to Penn, but I knew I would not get the funding I would need to attend. 

Wanting a dual masters really limited my choices. 

Same here! I was initially also interested in UT Austin (I have family in TX) and GW.  But I went to the UMD open house and was sold, the program checks every box for me. Plus, I really did not want to relocate for a Master's program.

In other news, I saw on the results page that the Community Planning department notified applicants yesterday - I wonder if that means anything for us?

On 2/10/2016 at 10:26 AM, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

Same here! I was initially also interested in UT Austin (I have family in TX) and GW.  But I went to the UMD open house and was sold, the program checks every box for me. Plus, I really did not want to relocate for a Master's program.

In other news, I saw on the results page that the Community Planning department notified applicants yesterday - I wonder if that means anything for us?

Oh, boy. Well, I remember they said at open house that they don't notify until late March, but everything online points to late Feb/early March. I'm anticipating mine might be different regardless since I have to wait for a decision on both departments.... I could get into both, one, or neither D: 

I'm just trying to be patient! But two of my friends just received architecture acceptances at different schools and I'm happy for them, but also very jealous. I think it's hard this time around because I really want to get into this program!! The faculty and opportunities are amazing. I did the field school last year and was hooked. 

Ah, the Mt. Vernon field school? Fantastic!

Yes, I also thought that I remembered being told at the open house that mid-late March would be the timeline for notification.  Then I saw on here that the planning department notified and I got my hopes up.  I still imagine that it will be late Feb/early March because of the dates posted online, like you said.  

I would be fine waiting until the end of February, but I think I'll be a mess if it takes until the end of March to hear back.  

I didn't see any planning... hmm.

Well, I did just check my online portfolio, and I've had something like 20 reads in the last week. Let the panic begin. I haven't posted it recently, but it's linked on my application, so my gut feeling is they're probably reviewing it. 

Yikes. 

Oh, that's because the person who posted their result left the 'd' off of University of Maryland, haha.  

That's good news that your portfolio is being viewed! I've noticed that there are some HP programs with a much faster turn around from the time of application to the notification date, but I know it's a process. 

5 minutes ago, WorthyIvy said:

Yeah, well here's to hoping.

I'm pretty nervous about my writing sample to be honest. 

I took a chance and instead of submitting my undergraduate thesis, I submitted a paper on a topic that was more closely related to Historic Preservation.  So I am a little worried about my writing sample also, as my thesis was really solid.  I guess it's out of our hands now and we will know the results soon enough!

19 hours ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

I took a chance and instead of submitting my undergraduate thesis, I submitted a paper on a topic that was more closely related to Historic Preservation.  So I am a little worried about my writing sample also, as my thesis was really solid.  I guess it's out of our hands now and we will know the results soon enough!

I think that'll be alright. May I ask what the topic was? 

52 minutes ago, WorthyIvy said:

I think that'll be alright. May I ask what the topic was? 

It was about Baltimore's post-war suburbanization and a specific Baltimore family that moved to the suburbs once their rowhome was slated to be demolished in the construction of MLK Boulevard.  My thesis was on crime and the black market in WWII Britain, so it was completely unrelated to HP.

Are you nervous because your writing sample isn't related to HP?

Woah! that's awesome.

No, it's definitely related. I wrote a profile piece on Cape Hatteras, and all of the cumulative efforts that lead to moving it inland, detailing the controversy and significance of moving a site like that. I'm just not sure if it really addresses a problem.  I went through and beefed it up with CLR information though... 

Pretty sure it was that paper that made me realize how badly I want to do research in the field. 

5 minutes ago, WorthyIvy said:

Woah! that's awesome.

No, it's definitely related. I wrote a profile piece on Cape Hatteras, and all of the cumulative efforts that lead to moving it inland, detailing the controversy and significance of moving a site like that. I'm just not sure if it really addresses a problem.  I went through and beefed it up with CLR information though... 

Pretty sure it was that paper that made me realize how badly I want to do research in the field. 

Oh geez, no reason to be nervous then! Don't be silly, they won't expect you to be an expert before you enter the program.

Mine hasn't changed yet, but that's probably good news for you!!! 

I'm now dying... But again, I do have to wait for a decision on the architecture department as well. Let me know if you hear an official decision, and I'll ask the POI I know about what to expect.

Edited by WorthyIvy

3 hours ago, WorthyIvy said:

Mine hasn't changed yet, but that's probably good news for you!!! 

I'm now dying... But again, I do have to wait for a decision on the architecture department as well. Let me know if you hear an official decision, and I'll ask the POI I know about what to expect.

Oh, yes! I am sure that you will be on a different timeline for notifications.  Well, the MAPP school recently posted a new dual degree MA on their website in Applied Anthropology and HP.  So, I emailed the contact listed on the article to express my interest in the program and was told that HP had made their decisions and we would receive letters "shortly."  I assumed that "shortly" meant "in a few hours," so I was dying all day yesterday.  But that email was sent at 11AM yesterday and I still haven't heard anything.  So I am hoping for news by the end of business on Friday.  Fingers crossed!

Oh boy. 

Well, in that case maybe I am out of luck. If you do hear anything, I may email the professor I know and ask if he has an idea regarding when dual masters programs will hear back. I know that it's different, and there's a possibility architecture hasn't even looked, yet, but I have this horrible gut feeling about it now. 

17 hours ago, WorthyIvy said:

Oh boy. 

Well, in that case maybe I am out of luck. If you do hear anything, I may email the professor I know and ask if he has an idea regarding when dual masters programs will hear back. I know that it's different, and there's a possibility architecture hasn't even looked, yet, but I have this horrible gut feeling about it now. 

I got the email yesterday at 5:30pm, I was accepted to the HP program with funding - I am thrilled!

Do not despair! I have confidence that you will be accepted! I am positive that your wait is just longer bc you are waiting for the architecture department.  I am pretty sure they mentioned a longer wait for dual masters applicants during the open house and also, according to the spreadsheet, community planning applicants were notified on Feb 9th, but there is a community planning/HP applicant who was just notified yesterday.  I am assuming it is because the applicant had to wait for the HP department to make their admission decisions.  

Stay strong!

Congrats!!! That's amazing! Honestly, I never even considered funding when I applied, so receiving it would be a cherry on top! 

I'll give it another week, but if I haven't heard anything, I may just ask for an expected date range for a decision.

Hopefully I'll be joining you this fall!! :)