Low GRE Score, Everything Else is Exceptional

easybreezy

Hey everyone! I know this may be a repetitive question, but this morning I just submitted my SOPHAS application to two schools and I wanted to know if the other application factors are stong enough to increase my chances of getting into Georgia State.  My stats are:

GRE: 145 V, 149 Q, and 3.0 Written (all horrible I know)

Undergrad GPA: 3.46

Letters of Recommendation: All are stong and include: one from a Health Promotions professor, one from a mentor who works at the CDC, and one from my supervisor/internship coordinator of a local public health department.

My major is Integrative Studies - concentrating in Exercise Science/Kinesiology and Psychology with a minor in Health Promotions.  The most experience I have had was completing an internship with a local public health department that was geared to underserved populations.  I work as a front office medical assistant and have worked at preschool for low-economic populations.

Georgia State's requirements are: 2.75 GPA, GRE scores within the 50th percentle but anything under 280 combined are unlikely to be considered, three LOR, and a letter of interest.  Am I good? I know it's too late now that I submitted my app, but wanted some feedback to rid the anxiety lol. ^_^

20 hours ago, wb3060 said:

I think if you have a strong profile beyond your GREs, you have a good shot. Ultimately, I think other factors can give a better indication of the kind of grad student you will be. Don't worry!

Thank you! I just hate the waiting game behind it all lol. I'm hoping all the other factors can outshine the scores. 

On 1/29/2016 at 3:43 PM, easybreezy said:

Hey everyone! I know this may be a repetitive question, but this morning I just submitted my SOPHAS application to two schools and I wanted to know if the other application factors are stong enough to increase my chances of getting into Georgia State.  My stats are:

GRE: 145 V, 149 Q, and 3.0 Written (all horrible I know)

Undergrad GPA: 3.46

Letters of Recommendation: All are stong and include: one from a Health Promotions professor, one from a mentor who works at the CDC, and one from my supervisor/internship coordinator of a local public health department.

My major is Integrative Studies - concentrating in Exercise Science/Kinesiology and Psychology with a minor in Health Promotions.  The most experience I have had was completing an internship with a local public health department that was geared to underserved populations.  I work as a front office medical assistant and have worked at preschool for low-economic populations.

Georgia State's requirements are: 2.75 GPA, GRE scores within the 50th percentle but anything under 280 combined are unlikely to be considered, three LOR, and a letter of interest.  Am I good? I know it's too late now that I submitted my app, but wanted some feedback to rid the anxiety lol. ^_^

Have you contacted Georgia State to see if they have GRE cutoffs?  Some schools won't look at apps with GREs below a certain score.  If you're above that, you should be fine.  Emailing or calling them might be the best way to get an answer one way or the other!

If you're above the cutoffs or they don't have cutoffs, then you should be fine.  As you said, the rest of your application is strong, and most schools seem to take a holist view of candidates.  Good luck!

7 hours ago, SLPgradstudent said:

Have you contacted Georgia State to see if they have GRE cutoffs?  Some schools won't look at apps with GREs below a certain score.  If you're above that, you should be fine.  Emailing or calling them might be the best way to get an answer one way or the other!

If you're above the cutoffs or they don't have cutoffs, then you should be fine.  As you said, the rest of your application is strong, and most schools seem to take a holist view of candidates.  Good luck!

All I've seen from Georgia State is that they do not accept combined scores under 280.  So like you said, I should be fine.  Thank you for the reassurance!  Good luck with your endeavors!

• 2 weeks later...

My GRE scores were lower than that and I still managed to gain acceptance into two schools for a PhD program. Some schools will expect applicants to have higher scores than others. I was terrified that no school would accept me, but it's only ONE data point they look at out of all your other application materials. I did, however, to make sure to include a strong SOP and ask for LOR from professors who I knew would write me favorable ones. This, in my opinion, offset my sub par GRE scores. So do not fear!