How do you end your SOP?

I don't think that is a proper way to end it. That sounds more like an ending for a cover letter for a job. I had a similar question a few months ago and I got a pretty good amount of responses. Just do a search for my thread.

Edited by joro

I don't think it matters much. I'm ending mine with a simple statement that I would be deeply honored to study at that school, and then I thank them for their consideration.

You don't need a really strong conclusion I don't think. If you haven't wowed them early on, they probably won't read that far anyway.

I won't say it doesn't matter. A bad closing is like the s3cks without the, well, you know. I think a summation and a request to join their academic community is appropriate. Mine, btw: With solid training in qualitative and quantitative research methodology and a historical interdisciplinary grounding from ABC's XYZ program, I am confident I can contribute to the production of pluralistic knowledge with an applied practicality.

Well that was just the last sentence, my full last paragraph is:

While it’s been many years since I have been enrolled in an academic program, I am sure you will find that my work and volunteer experience demonstrates my willingness to learn new things, jump in where needed and successfully complete the project at hand. I thank you for reviewing my application and look forward to the opportunity to meet the admission committee in person.

I dont love it. It does sound cover letter-ish. Blech. But I am on draft 2 of many.

i'm waiting for a review of my latest draft, so i'll let you know if my reviewer liked my ending but:

my fit paragraph is at the end of my SOP and then, as a separate paragraph, i simply say, "I am certain (school) is a great fit for my professional goals and academic purposes."

yeah, it's not shakespeare but i didn't have much room for anything more than that! lol. we'll see what feedback i get for that.

Edited by samjones

i'm waiting for a review of my latest draft, so i'll let you know if my reviewer liked my ending but:

my fit paragraph is at the end of my SOP and then, as a separate paragraph, i simply say, "I am certain (school) for my professional goals and academic purposes."

yeah, it's not shakespeare but i didn't have much room for anything more than that! lol. we'll see what feedback i get for that.

It's not only not Shakespeare, it's not English. You're certain of what?