NYU - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

Hi All,

May I ask when you say you see your application is complete, is that because NYU sent you an specific email to confirm on that or you checked on NYU Albert portal yourself? I didn't receive any email from NYU, but I checked on Albert on Jan 28th and all my documents were received as there were check marks next to them. Thanks guys!

11 hours ago, tudor3x8 said:

Hey nymsw, may I ask if you got your financial aid info back? I know I'll need to submit my FAFSA (which I have), but did you need to do anything else?

No, I only received my scholarship info and haven't heard anything about financial aid. 

8 hours ago, tudor3x8 said:

Thank you! I sent them an email this morning, but honestly I think I'm going to call them during lunch today to get a faster response.

And yes, they sent the email at 9:30 PM last night. Not sure if someone is just working early/late or if it's an automated response?

tudor3x8, but did you see your status on Albert change before receiving the email from NYU? I wonder if the status will change from day one we submit all application materials. 

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted folks to know after receiving my acceptance to NYU on Jan 26, I emailed financial aid and received a response regarding financial aid packages. I emailed them because I had some questions regarding scholarships.

"NYU will not begin the process of setting up federal aid for graduate students until March.

The reason for this late notice is that all graduate students that qualify to fill out a FAFSA are offered the same loan package across the board to cover the full cost of attendance.  Unlike undergraduate, there are no grants or special awards that come from the FAFSA.  The Silver school also only offered merit scholarships at admission and we sent out notices of that scholarship 24 hours after the admission notice."

11 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

tudor3x8, but did you see your status on Albert change before receiving the email from NYU? I wonder if the status will change from day one we submit all application materials. 

On Albert? I'm on it and it just checks off everything I've submitted and on the top now it says "admission offer."

Hi everyone! First time poster here.

Can someone post a link or process to check on our application status via Albert? If it is the same process that I use... I might have to contact the office about a technical issue.

EDIT: Actually, I figured out my own issue. Pesky browser!

Edited by FT-Grad2016

2 hours ago, tudor3x8 said:

Just got an email saying that I was awarded a one year "tuition scholarship/award" of $8000. Looks like this doesn't count federal aid/loans/etc.? I'm going to clarify with NYU.

Yes this is just academic. I received an academic scholarship as well the day after I received acceptance. It doesn't include stuff from FASFA 

5 minutes ago, yogaandpearls06 said:

Yes this is just academic. I received an academic scholarship as well the day after I received acceptance. It doesn't include stuff from FASFA 

Thank you!!! It's a good start but glad to know that I could get more help... NYU is my top choice, but I'd hate to not be able to attend if the cost is absolutely outrageous. I'm already planning on living with relatives so save costs.

Hi everyone, I have received this email this morning. I wonder if you all have received this letter and whether or not I can estimate how many days from today, I can expect to hear back from NYU. Thank you!:

Dear XYZ,

Thank you, again, for your application to the MSW program at the Silver School of Social Work at New York University. Hopefully you have taken advantage of attending one of our Information Events, Walk-in hours, or Webinars to learn more about our MSW program.

In case you haven't met or corresponded with us, I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself as well as the other members of the Admissions and Enrollment Services Office. I am the Assistant Dean of Enrollment Services at the Silver School and my name is Robert Sommo. The Director of Enrollment Services is Sheryl Goldfarb. Also, in the Office is Byron Cortes who can assist you with financial aid, scholarship and tuition-related questions. Todd Thomas can answer your questions about the application process and Carrie Prendergast can advise you on matters of program and course registration. Finally, Olga Rivera is an excellent resource for information about the School, logistics and general information. If you have not already done so, please feel free to contact us at 212.998.5910 or silver.admissions@nyu.edu. Ask for the person you wish to be in touch with and we will be happy to assist you. We strive to respond to inquiries in a timely manner; but, note that sometimes we have a high volume which may cause a delay.

I want to encourage your interest in our MSW program by offering you every opportunity to gain the knowledge you need to make an educated decision about your education and career. On behalf of our faculty, we look forward to having your completed application evaluated and rendering you a decision soon. Good luck.

Respectfully,

Robert Sommo

Assistant Dean of Enrollment Services

12 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Hi everyone, I have received this email this morning. I wonder if you all have received this letter and whether or not I can estimate how many days from today, I can expect to hear back from NYU. Thank you!:

Dear XYZ,

Thank you, again, for your application to the MSW program at the Silver School of Social Work at New York University. Hopefully you have taken advantage of attending one of our Information Events, Walk-in hours, or Webinars to learn more about our MSW program.

In case you haven't met or corresponded with us, I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself as well as the other members of the Admissions and Enrollment Services Office. I am the Assistant Dean of Enrollment Services at the Silver School and my name is Robert Sommo. The Director of Enrollment Services is Sheryl Goldfarb. Also, in the Office is Byron Cortes who can assist you with financial aid, scholarship and tuition-related questions. Todd Thomas can answer your questions about the application process and Carrie Prendergast can advise you on matters of program and course registration. Finally, Olga Rivera is an excellent resource for information about the School, logistics and general information. If you have not already done so, please feel free to contact us at 212.998.5910 or silver.admissions@nyu.edu. Ask for the person you wish to be in touch with and we will be happy to assist you. We strive to respond to inquiries in a timely manner; but, note that sometimes we have a high volume which may cause a delay.

I want to encourage your interest in our MSW program by offering you every opportunity to gain the knowledge you need to make an educated decision about your education and career. On behalf of our faculty, we look forward to having your completed application evaluated and rendering you a decision soon. Good luck.

Respectfully,

Robert Sommo

I received that same email on the 20th. About 10 days later I got a "Welcome" email from the dean with similar purpose. My application still shows that the Silver School is processing my application. I am curious to know if that means under review or if they haven't even sent it for review yet. The strange part is started the app in late December, Submitted on January 7th or 8th and my final LOR was submitted around the 22nd. So my file should have been "complete" on the 23rd. Any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, FT-Grad2016 said:

I received that same email on the 20th. About 10 days later I got a "Welcome" email from the dean with similar purpose. My application still shows that the Silver School is processing my application. I am curious to know if that means under review or if they haven't even sent it for review yet. The strange part is started the app in late December, Submitted on January 7th or 8th and my final LOR was submitted around the 22nd. So my file should have been "complete" on the 23rd. Any thoughts?

This means your application is being reviewed. No need to stress. My application was complete on the 16th and I received my acceptance today. I think they're going in order of when they receive your application. I think you'll receive a letter sometime this week or next! 

Once you receive the letter 

27 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Dear XYZ,

Respectfully,

Robert Sommo

I'd say sometime next week. I received this letter at the end of last week and got my acceptance today. Best of luck! 

2 minutes ago, BrendonSW said:

This means your application is being reviewed. No need to stress. My application was complete on the 16th and I received my acceptance today. I think they're going in order of when they receive your application. I think you'll receive a letter sometime this week or next! 

Thanks for the info! I'm starting to think the guessing game as to how grad schools process applications and make decisions is more stressful than earning the actual degree!

Is there anyone else who applied on January 7th or earlier who also hasn't heard back yet? I'm seeing that there are some people who applied later than that date who have already been accepted and I'm starting to get really anxious/nervous. 

32 minutes ago, MSW768 said:

Is there anyone else who applied on January 7th or earlier who also hasn't heard back yet? I'm seeing that there are some people who applied later than that date who have already been accepted and I'm starting to get really anxious/nervous. 

Me smh

6 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

Thank you BrendonSW and congrats to your acceptance to NYU!

FT-Grad2016. Let's count down!

Let the countdown begin!

I hope we get some good news before the weekend. An interesting thing is that some students get acceptance emails over the weekend. It makes me wonder if they are working on weekends or if our decisions are made already and just waiting to be sent on a schedule.

I was accepted into the NYU advanced standing program. I received my email this past Monday as well as scholarship info the next day. I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia before deciding but I'm very happy and excited about NYU. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those that were accepted.

Also for everyone waiting for the award letter...I attended the info. session for NYU and when you are accepted, they automatically give between $7-$15,000 depending on the strength of your application. They also stated you can appeal for more if you are unhappy with what they give you. Hope this helps :-) 

Just now, AMcCoy said:

Also for everyone waiting for the award letter...I attended the info. session for NYU and when you are accepted, they automatically give between $7-$15,000 depending on the strength of your application. They also stated you can appeal for more if you are unhappy with what they give you. Hope this helps :-) 

AMcCoy, Is there any case that they don't give scholarship at all?

@Opt4theBest No, they stated that this is automatic with acceptance. FAFSA information does not play into it. It is based solely on the strength of your application. They give it a score and the score determines the scholarship amount. Columbia does this as well but there's is between $5-$12,000. 

Edited by AMcCoy