NYU - Fall 2016

Opt4theBest

1 minute ago, AMcCoy said:

No, they stated that this is automatic with acceptance. FAFSA information does not play into it. It is based solely on the strength of your application. They give it a score and the score determines the scholarship amount. Columbia does this as well but there's is between $5-$12,000. 

Thank you AMcCoy! I'm glad they consider all elements of an application when deciding how much scholarship shall be given. I thought they only looked at GPA. Yay!

@Opt4theBest You are very welcome. I was very happy with what NYU gave me and it may make my decision as far as NYU vs. Columbia. The info. sessions at both NYU and Columbia were very open about the application process. They said more than anything they look at the personal statement essay. That is the first thing they read and they go from there.  

I received my scholarship from NYU this morning. Very pleased. I have a decent GPA, an internship as social work experience (I'm 22), but lots of diversity to offer. They really look at all elements of the application. Best of luck to you all! And thank you @AMcCoy for your help yesterday! 

On February 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM, MSW768 said:

Is there anyone else who applied on January 7th or earlier who also hasn't heard back yet? I'm seeing that there are some people who applied later than that date who have already been accepted and I'm starting to get really anxious/nervous. 

@MSW768 I submitted my application on January 7th and I still haven't heard anything. I am hoping they tell us soon. Did you apply for the regular 2 year program? 

4 hours ago, aramirez said:

@MSW768 I submitted my application on January 7th and I still haven't heard anything. I am hoping they tell us soon. Did you apply for the regular 2 year program? 

Hi yes I applied for the 2 year program, did you? I called yesterday and they said it could still be another 2-4 weeks. The wait is driving me crazy! 

Hi aramirez and MSW768!

When was your application competed? Was it the same day you submitted to the School? Because the school wouldn't review your application unless all the materials are received. My Albert showing that my application was completed on Jan 29.

51 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Hi aramirez and MSW768!

When was your application competed? Was it the same day you submitted to the School? Because the school wouldn't review your application unless all the materials are received. My Albert showing that my application was completed on Jan 29.

Hi! Do you mean complete as in all the information was checked off as being received on the application checklist? Or does something else come up stating that the application is complete somewhere else on Albert too? All of the my items on the checklist have been checked off since the day I submitted but nothing has changed since then. I never got an official email saying it was complete or anything like that either. How did you know yours was officially complete on the 29th, @opt4thebest?

31 minutes ago, MSW768 said:

Hi! Do you mean complete as in all the information was checked off as being received on the application checklist? Or does something else come up stating that the application is complete somewhere else on Albert too? All of the my items on the checklist have been checked off since the day I submitted but nothing has changed since then. I never got an official email saying it was complete or anything like that either. How did you know yours was officially complete on the 29th, @opt4thebest?

I checked on Albert one day after i.e. Jan 29th and saw that no required materials were missing and see all items checked off (on 28th when I checked saw that one of my recommendation letter was missing) so I assum that that is how NYU tells us that our application was completed. Also, on Feb 4, I received an email from NYU with this language: 

"On behalf of our faculty, we look forward to having your completed application evaluated and rendering you a decision soon. Good luck.

Respectfully,

Robert Sommo

Assistant Dean of Enrollment Services"

Have you received this letter yet? I remember Brandon said if we receive this letter, it means that our application is under review and can expect to hear back from them a week later.

34 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

I checked on Albert one day after i.e. Jan 29th and saw that no required materials were missing and see all items checked off (on 28th when I checked saw that one of my recommendation letter was missing) so I assum that that is how NYU tells us that our application was completed. Also, on Feb 4, I received an email from NYU with this language: 

"On behalf of our faculty, we look forward to having your completed application evaluated and rendering you a decision soon. Good luck.

Respectfully,

Robert Sommo

Have you received this letter yet? I remember Brandon said if we receive this letter, it means that our application is under review and can expect to hear back from them a week later.

The week is starting to feel like a year for us! I can only feel bad for those that had a completed file before us. Do they send out decision emails automatically over the weekend or Monday-Friday only?

2 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

Respectfully,

Robert Sommo

Yeah I received that email on 1/17 and still haven't heard back so I don't think we automatically can expect to hear back a week after getting it unfortunately! 

1 hour ago, FT-Grad2016 said:

The week is starting to feel like a year for us! I can only feel bad for those that had a completed file before us. Do they send out decision emails automatically over the weekend or Monday-Friday only?

I know the wait is driving me crazy too! I think I remembering someone saying that they found out on a weekend. And I know a bunch of people heard at completely random times like 6 am and 11 pm. So I think it must be some sort of automated system!

Also, I have been stalking the School's event calendar (https://events.nyu.edu/#view/all/search/msw)and this is what I've found:

TUESDAY, MARCH 8
2:00pm - 3:00pm

TUESDAY, MARCH 8

[ map ]
6:00pm - 7:30pm EST At 1 Washington Square North, New York , NY 10003 (Parlor Room)

Thus, I am pretty sure that all NYU applicants should be notified of the decision BEFORE end of February. 

Edited by Opt4theBest

19 minutes ago, FT-Grad2016 said:

I'm still waiting. It seems as if the NYU board went silent the past 2-3 days. Hopefully we start to hear about something this week. 

Yeah I thought they would be sending out letters/ emails this weekend, but I guess not. Perhaps this week... Good luck! 

3 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Nooooo don't say that! Stay positive. We will get in NYU.

I will stay positive! 

I actually feel like removing email notifications from my phone. I get frustrated seeing a bunch of email alerts only to find out that none of the emails are from the schools I applied to. The sad part is when we least expect the email to come...it will probably come.

7 hours ago, aramirez said:

Has anyone recently heard back from NYU?

I had a dream last night I got accepted and it felt so real. Woke up and was immediately disappointed when I realized it was just a dream! I'm so ready to hear back already. Let's hope for this week! Good luck everyone 

44 minutes ago, MSW768 said:

I had a dream last night I got accepted and it felt so real. Woke up and was immediately disappointed when I realized it was just a dream! I'm so ready to hear back already. Let's hope for this week! Good luck everyone 

I wish your dream come true in no time! Good luck ;)