Fall 2016 Admissions Cycle

I figure its safe to make this now. Anyone else apply to PhD urban planning programs this cycle? MURP applicants welcome as well.

I applied to USC, UCLA, UC Irvine, UI Chicago and Michigan's PhD programs. Got rejected from UCLA. I suspect USC will begin releasing decisions this or next week. USC Price has already begun releasing decisions for its Public Policy program. 

Anyone else have any luck?

Edited by Frank Knight

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! 

I applied to PhD (urban planning) programs at the University of Michigan, Harvard GSD, and MIT DUP (CDD). 

I am not sure what to expect out of Harvard and MIT. I am currently finishing up a degree in Urban Design from a small uni in Michigan. I did decently in the GREs but not stellar and my graduate GPA is about 3.75. I have two other graduate degrees (in political science and science policy studies). To me, the schools I applied to are a great fit, but Michigan is notorious for being insular. @Frank Knight if you don't mind my asking, did you speak with a POI at Michigan? I would be stoked if I got into Michigan!

@RamyaS I didn't. Admittedly my first choice is USC. I recently finished an econ graduate degree in a state school that cooperates closely with USC Price, so I'm optimistic about my chances there. 

I had initially planned to apply to MIT as well, but the researcher I was interested in working with (Joann Carmin) passed away recently. From what I hear no one left in MIT is interested on climate change adaptation, and her students mostly went to Europe. 

@Frank Knight Good luck with USC! 

Oh I am sorry to hear about your application to MIT. I am not sure what to think about MIT and/or GSD (and my chances there).  Hopefully one shall hear in the next couple of weeks. Michigan should say (based on history) something in the next couple of weeks. 

10 hours ago, als123 said:

Admitted to USC's MPl this weekend.  Anyone else heard from them or gotten a financial aid offer yet?  Still waiting on that, not sure how long it will take.

I also got admitted to the M.Pl program at USC and got the Dean's Merit Scholarship which covers half the tuition. Got the mail on the the 12th.

4 hours ago, plz said:

I also applied to UC Irvine. Have you heard about any news from them?

Not a peep. I'm really hopeful though as its my last chance of staying in SoCal. 

I did receive a generic email from Michigan that they were beginning to review their applications. 

Hello all!  

Any word from Harvard GSD or MIT DUSP?

Michigan sends people emails telling them their application is currently being reviewed. Slightly freaky :)

@paria I've applied to only three planning schools : Michigan, MIT and harvard.  Got rejected by the last one. I'd be so pleased if i got into Michigan! Though given the miniscule size of their cohort, who knows  :)  

@Frank Knight thank you. 

We all seem to be in the same boat. :)  good luck to us. 

Edited by RamyaS

Hi everyone!

I successfully avoided this site for a few months, but now that I have my first decision in hand I'm starting to get antsy and figured I'd sure my news.

I applied to three Masters programs- MIT DUSP, Harvard GSD, and Tufts UEP. Got in to Tufts on Friday, now just waiting for Harvard and MIT. I'll keep you all posted as I hear from either.

On February 18, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Alice_JH said:

Hi, all

There is anyone who applied to University of Washignton?

This school is one of my top choices, and I didn't hear anything yet...

I applied to the UW- Seattle for a MURP and haven't heard anything back either.