Fall 2016 Admissions Cycle

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

@Frank Knight @paria just saw that the university of Michigan has sent out some master's admits. :)  wonder when the phd program will say something.  

I've noticed a lag of about a week between MA and PhD decisions. 

I'm starting to get nervous. I have a Poli Sci acceptance, but if I strike out in Michigan that's it for urban planning programs. What about yourself? Are you applying for any other fields or is this it?

7 hours ago, Frank Knight said:

I've noticed a lag of about a week between MA and PhD decisions. 

I'm starting to get nervous. I have a Poli Sci acceptance, but if I strike out in Michigan that's it for urban planning programs. What about yourself? Are you applying for any other fields or is this it?

Ah I see. So one more week of waiting. Ugh. :) 

Me too! My spouse just got into an east coast school, so there are other complications in addition to the small size of the cohort at the University of Michigan. :)  Well I have been accepted to a couple of history PhDs at Michigan State and Wayne State, so I have somewhere to go, which is a good feeling. If you don't mind my asking, where is your PoliSci admit from?

I'm been admitted to UC Riverside. My interests are in urban politics - basically a lot of applying Tiebout competition to political science questions. Its a very small field and, from what I've seen, ill regarded among the wider poli sci community. That's why I applied to urban planning programs.

Imo, urban issues don't seem to be popular in any field. Several of my letter writers expressed disbelief that you could get a phd in urban planning.

Yourself? Are your interests in history also urban in nature? 

Edited by Frank Knight

21 minutes ago, Frank Knight said:

I'm been admitted to UC Riverside. My interests are in urban politics - basically a lot of applying Tiebout competition to political science questions. Its a very small field and, from what I've seen, ill regarded among the wider poli sci community. That's why I applied to urban planning programs.

Imo, urban issues don't seem to be popular in any field. Several of my letter writers expressed disbelief that you could get a phd in urban planning.

Yourself? Are your interests in history also urban in nature? 

Congratulations on UC Riverside, it is a great school! Your work sounds very interesting! Good luck! 

My research interests are broadly in political borders and their impact on city form especially in the case of trans-frontier regions over time. So yes, my research interests are broadly historical/urban. 

I am not sure I will get into a planning program, but I am hoping having a Master's in Urban Design will help :) 

Hello friends,

I've also applied to Urban Planning phd programs and just got an acceptance from UC Berkeley (without a fellowship offer yet..)!

I was waitlisted last week at UCLA and also heard back from University of British Colombia with no offer yet.. 

I'm still waiting to hear back from East coast school.. hopefully they wont be too long!

On February 25, 2016 at 4:58 PM, gabsnavs said:

Hey @Alice_JH @og_wamu looks like the first UW acceptance was just posted. Have you guys received anything?

I haven't received anything yet and my portal looks the same. Do you know if they email or do postal because the portal says both but for UC Denver I got a letter never an email. 

On February 26, 2016 at 7:27 AM, og_wamu said:

I haven't received anything yet and my portal looks the same. Do you know if they email or do postal because the portal says both but for UC Denver I got a letter never an email. 

Hello, a fellow applicant here. I received an email from UW on Thursday. I just checked my portal and the status is now changed to "offer." Hope you got good news as well! 

Have you created a Wolverine account yet by chance? I wonder if they'll update the decisions online before emailing us. Looking at the results from last year that seems to be what they do.

Edit: I've checked my account. It only says "application complete". 

Edited by Frank Knight

11 hours ago, Frank Knight said:

Have you created a Wolverine account yet by chance? I wonder if they'll update the decisions online before emailing us. Looking at the results from last year that seems to be what they do.

Edit: I've checked my account. It only says "application complete". 

Just saw a Michigan acceptance to the PhD program. I am assuming I did not make it. Good luck to you and @paria!

19 minutes ago, Frank Knight said:

Just got the rejection email. Welp - I guess I can always try to get an urban planning faculty job, but for now it seems I'm going into Poli Sci. I hope you hear better news.

Just got rejected too! :) 

Did you get a letter too? 

It is so funny that the email said: please let me know if you have any questions. How unthinking can they be? :P 

Edited by RamyaS

Yeah I got an email with an attached PDF. 

I'm still waiting out on a few public policy PhDs (GMU & U Washington Evans), but at this point I think I will accept my UCR admit. What about yourself? Or are you still waiting till your spouse finishes up their cycle so that you can decide jointly? 

Ah I see. good luck with those! 

Well..we are both waiting for MIT. I am not sure I have much of a chance there but I think he definitely does. :) So we will be probably be waiting another week before we make up our minds. 

On 2/29/2016 at 11:02 AM, akism said:

Hello, a fellow applicant here. I received an email from UW on Thursday. I just checked my portal and the status is now changed to "offer." Hope you got good news as well! 

Congratulations! @akism What else schools did you applied?

On 2/18/2016 at 3:31 AM, Alice_JH said:

Hi, all

There is anyone who applied to University of Washignton?

This school is one of my top choices, and I didn't hear anything yet...

I applied UW-Seattle too, no word either... I also applied PhD program in UC Irvine, but was rejected.

3 hours ago, RamyaS said:

Just got rejected too! :) 

Did you get a letter too? 

It is so funny that the email said: please let me know if you have any questions. How unthinking can they be? :P 

@RamyaS @Frank Knight I got my rejection email too. And that "let me know if you have any questions" ?????? When I saw it first, before opening the pdf, I thought I got in. Were they being sarcastic or what? 

Thanks @Amazing March! Although I'm going for masters, not phd. I applied to UW, Ohio State, U Colorado Denver, UVA, MIT, Harvard, Tufts, SUNY Buffalo, and Penn. So far in at UW, OSU, Colorado, Tufts, and Buffalo. Still waiting to hear from the other four. Looks like MIT notified in the first week of March last year, so I'm mainly anxious for that one right now..