Irvine, CA

TheMole

I am attending UCI this coming fall, MFA in Art. Very excited!

I'm curious to know if anyone has had personal experience or known of others that have successfully been able to bring there dog into graduate family housing (verano place or palo verde), as a "comfort/assistance" animal through the UCI Disiblities Service Center process??

I am married and have two young girls, 3 and 6. I think a grad family apt, in Irvine, will be the most viable financial option for us...
We've had our 12lb little chihuahua family dog for 13 years and can't imagine not making the move with her. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thewholeenchilada said:

Are you in the INP Program as well?

No, my future advisor actually is about to move to UC Irvine from UC Riverside so her current and incoming grad students all are being moved over haha.

I will be in Psych with Cognitive Neuroscience concentration doing sleep research.

I didn't get to visit though, since we went to the Riverside admitted student weekend.

How did you feel the faculty/campus?

20 hours ago, luciddream22 said:

Just got my housing assignment!

On the more expensive side, but oh well. Glad to have gotten it haha.

Lucky. still haven't received mine :( I just hope I don't have to live with to many people. 

1 hour ago, thewholeenchilada said:

Lucky. still haven't received mine :( I just hope I don't have to live with to many people. 

I think the 3 bedroom apartments are actually harder to get than the 2 bedrooms.

I got a 2 bedroom townhouse at Verano Place, which was my 3rd choice.

• 9 months later...
On 3/5/2018 at 9:29 PM, brcs said:

Thought I could restart this thread.

Anyone planning a move to Irvine this Fall?

I do, I am an international student accepted to MS in CS. I have not accepted yet, but planning on doing so according to results from some other school application. I want to bring my girlfriend to Irvine too in my second year when she graduates. Housing is expensive, Irvine is crowded afaik. But it looks like there will be lots of things to do.  Awesome job opportunities in the area. What do you think? I have been accepted to UMass Amherst too. I don't know which place is better.

2 hours ago, sherlocked25 said:

I do, I am an international student accepted to MS in CS. I have not accepted yet, but planning on doing so according to results from some other school application. I want to bring my girlfriend to Irvine too in my second year when she graduates. Housing is expensive, Irvine is crowded afaik. But it looks like there will be lots of things to do.  Awesome job opportunities in the area. What do you think? I have been accepted to UMass Amherst too. I don't know which place is better.

Congrats, those are two great programs!! I'm an international CS student too, but I'm starting a PhD. What's your area of interest?
Housing is pretty expensive, but I think I'll stay on-campus which is not as bad.

I can't really help on deciding which program is better for you... you should try posting it to the CS or Decisions forum :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2018 at 11:03 PM, brcs said:

Congrats, those are two great programs!! I'm an international CS student too, but I'm starting a PhD. What's your area of interest?
Housing is pretty expensive, but I think I'll stay on-campus which is not as bad.

I can't really help on deciding which program is better for you... you should try posting it to the CS or Decisions forum :)

Yeah, you got a nice guaranteed on-campus option. My area is programming languages and compilers.

9 hours ago, sherlocked25 said:

Yeah, you got a nice guaranteed on-campus option. My area is programming languages and compilers.

Yeah, I submitted the application and just waiting for my assignment now.
I applied for PL/SE in some places, but ended up in systems.

Let me know if you decide to attend UCI. We can chat so we at least know someone when we get there :D

I'm attending UC Irvine starting this fall for an Environmental Health Sciences PhD. I was accepted by the department over 6 weeks ago but haven't received the notice through the graduate school. I reached out and they said they were just behind on the paperwork they need to submit. I'm just annoyed because I want to submit my housing application! 

5 hours ago, gallimimus said:

I'm attending UC Irvine starting this fall for an Environmental Health Sciences PhD. I was accepted by the department over 6 weeks ago but haven't received the notice through the graduate school. I reached out and they said they were just behind on the paperwork they need to submit. I'm just annoyed because I want to submit my housing application! 

Congrats :)

I don’t know how long it took between the department recommendation and my school acceptance because I didn’t get notified by the department.

Good luck though, hope they accept you soon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 12:09 PM, phdwanttobe said:

I'm going to join UCI this fall as PhD student! does anyone know when we'll be notified about our housing assignment? :D

I believe June 1st

• 5 months later...

I am thinking of applying to UC Irvine for Fall 2019. I'm worried about cost of living, though. My partner and I have a large dog, so wouldn't be eligible for on-campus housing. Has anyone had luck finding decent housing in or around Irvine? I am just outside NYC right now and am paying $1,850/month for a one-bedroom. We would ideally get our monthly payments down to $1,600 or less for 800+ sq. ft. We look for safe neighborhoods where I can feel secure taking our dog out at night.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 11:07 AM, p287 said:

I am thinking of applying to UC Irvine for Fall 2019. I'm worried about cost of living, though. My partner and I have a large dog, so wouldn't be eligible for on-campus housing. Has anyone had luck finding decent housing in or around Irvine? I am just outside NYC right now and am paying $1,850/month for a one-bedroom. We would ideally get our monthly payments down to $1,600 or less for 800+ sq. ft. We look for safe neighborhoods where I can feel secure taking our dog out at night.

I just started at UCI and I moved from NYC! Compared to NYC, the prices are generally more reasonable and there are plenty of safe areas. I personally live on campus for now, but I know plenty of people who live elsewhere and are happy. You definitely want a car to get around here, which in some ways is a negative, especially if you enjoyed the public transit in/around NYC. On the other hand, it gives you the flexibility to expand your housing search to fit your criteria.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I got invited for interview at UCI. I am an international student and will be flying about 26hours to reach cali. I plan to fly in 1 or 2 days earlier to get some rest and shake off as much jet lag as I possibly can. Any advice on where is a good place to stay maybe between LAX and UCI?

17 hours ago, loffire said:

Hi guys, I got invited for interview at UCI. I am an international student and will be flying about 26hours to reach cali. I plan to fly in 1 or 2 days earlier to get some rest and shake off as much jet lag as I possibly can. Any advice on where is a good place to stay maybe between LAX and UCI?

Don't stay in Los Angeles if you can (since you're just visiting Irvine). The traffic on the highway is insane. It'll take 1.5 hours to get to Irvine if you fly into LAX driving on the 405. Fly into John Wayne Airport (SNA) which is pretty much next to UCI. If you really want to stay in between. try Long Beach. 

Shouldn't UCI find accommodations for you? If not, find an AirBnb (hotels in California are expensive).

12 hours ago, trollsloot said:

Don't stay in Los Angeles if you can (since you're just visiting Irvine). The traffic on the highway is insane. It'll take 1.5 hours to get to Irvine if you fly into LAX driving on the 405. Fly into John Wayne Airport (SNA) which is pretty much next to UCI. If you really want to stay in between. try Long Beach. 

Shouldn't UCI find accommodations for you? If not, find an AirBnb (hotels in California are expensive).

SNA is not popular for international flights. So it costs 1k more for me to fly there instead of LAX. UCI has accommodations for the dates im invited for the interview. But like i mentioned earlier, i wanna fly in 1-2 days earlier to shake off the jetlag as much as possible. But thank you for the recommendation! I shall look at airbnbs around longbeach

• 2 months later...

Any PhD students at Irvine / recently accepted? Do you think living on or near campus is integral to your success? I have two very large German Shepherds which are non-negotiable aspects of my life. It's not really a big problem as I'm a So Cal native and live roughly 40 miles away. Just wondering if I'll be missing out on important aspects if I accept UCI's offer.