LOR Dilemma

Pretty_Penny

Hi all!

I am having a bit of a hard time determining who my letter writers should be as I apply to the part-time MSW program at UW-Madison. First, some background:

-Graduated from UW-Madison in May 2013 with a BA in Psychology (GPA: 3.949) and a BA in Spanish (4.0), total GPA of 3.939, graduated with distinction and with honors in the psychology major

-Completed developmental psychology research with one of the best in the field and wrote/presented a seniors honors thesis as an undergrad

-Applied to 8 developmental psych PhD programs and was accepted to two top 15 schools. Chose one in the top 5 and spent a year there before deciding it wasn't for me (I think I need a more direct connection between research and application and my advisor had a VERY poor track record of graduating students). Great TA reviews, an overall GPA of 3.86 (with As in both stats classes)

-Currently work at a non-profit educating families on child development and doing case management. I am the only bilingual staff member. I have been there for just over a year and I love it. It is a very social work-adjacent position

-Looking to get my MSW and become a LCSW to provide bilingual counseling services

My undergrad prof who I completed my thesis with has agreed to write me a letter (she was also one of my recommenders when I applied to PhD programs), as well as my supervisor at my current position (the executive director of our non-profit). Unfortunately, beyond that I am stumped. I had been planning on using my coworker, who has an MSW, but I just visited the application website again to find LOR instructions for the writers and one of their DON'TS was having a coworker write a letter, and that it would "lessen the strength of the application." My other option was a graduate student in Clinical Psychology (who will be graduating this spring) who supervised me when I did my undergraduate research/senior honors thesis, but I am worried she may be too busy with finishing up her dissertation and I know it is recommended not to ask graduate students. As for the other two letter writers who wrote letters for me back when I was applying to PhD programs, one has since passed away and the other I doubt remembers me, it was probably more of a "did well in class" letter. I would not feel comfortable asking the vast majority of professors from my PhD program as they were very unhelpful when I was there and I would rather not open that door again. I'm at a loss...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

It seems like you have already secured two good references who are very familiar with your work and will likely write excellent letters.  At this point, if you are truly at a loss as to who to ask, I would consider the third letter a formality and just ask a former professor whose class or classes you did well in.  If you still have the papers you wrote for their class, send them copies to refresh their memory.  Ask them if they would feel comfortable writing a strong letter of recommendation, and make it clear that they are free to refuse if they cannot.  It sounds like you are in a better position than most as far as already having great references.  I myself had letters from two professors whose classes I did well in, and while it's not as impressive as being recommended by someone who has worked with you more closely, it's still something.  Not having enough letters or using inappropriate references, like your colleague, would probably be the worse option.  Good luck with your applications!

I completely agree with ediblestranger... It seems like you are actually in a pretty good position with letter-writers, having two solid references who have worked with you closely. I would ask the other professor who wrote you the letter for grad school. He/she probably has a copy saved, and if that letter was good enough to get you into Ph.D. Programs, I'm sure that it will suffice for MSW programs.  Good luck!!