Venting Thread

dgswaim

2 hours ago, psm1580b said:

Please let us know how it went! Good luck! 

Went well, I think. Was quite a loooong interview, which is hopefully a good sign. They still have more interviews to do. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

have to say, based on the interview, if I got into ASU HPS, I'd probably take my name off of the Indiana HPS waiting list. They seem to mirror my interests and general academic attitude more closely. So root for me to get into ASU, Indiana wait-listees!!!

21 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

have to say, based on the interview, if I got into ASU HPS, I'd probably take my name off of the Indiana HPS waiting list. They seem to mirror my interests and general academic attitude more closely. So root for me to get into ASU, Indiana wait-listees!!!

I AM LITERALLY DOING ALL THE ROOTING RN

26 minutes ago, psm1580b said:

I AM LITERALLY DOING ALL THE ROOTING RN

I just received a very positive post-interview email from the director of the program. Not an acceptance at this point, but prospects are good.

7 hours ago, dgswaim said:

I just received a very positive post-interview email from the director of the program. Not an acceptance at this point, but prospects are good.

Congrats! Fingers crossed!

So, I got an email from Toronto CPAMP telling me that they're interested in my application and wanted to read another essay I had mentioned in my personal statement. So I sent it, even though it's kind of not so good. And now I'm really nervous about it all. I was wondering if anyone else has gotten a similar email. 

I'm worried about all these phone acceptances. What happens if, despite all my efforts to the contrary, I just happen to be busy when my phone rings? Will they try again later? Send me an email? Reject me because I wasn't sitting on my phone?

5 minutes ago, gughok said:

I'm worried about all these phone acceptances. What happens if, despite all my efforts to the contrary, I just happen to be busy when my phone rings? Will they try again later? Send me an email? Reject me because I wasn't sitting on my phone?

They'll leave you a message and then probably email you. 

Edited by philosophe

Just now, philosophe said:
6 minutes ago, gughok said:

_________

They'll leave you a message. 

My voicemail isn't set up and I'm not sure how to do it.

I swear I am a competent human being.

25 minutes ago, Swann said:

I know its still early but i feel like I'm losing all hope already. 

Same.  Going in I was totally confident.  MA degree in hand. Publication in a peer-reviewed journal. Contract with a college doing curriculum development for a political theory class.  Then no call or wait list from Chicago, Arizona, and now Virginia... #freakout

On 2/8/2016 at 1:50 PM, dgswaim said:

T minus 25 minutes to my ASU HPS interview. Ahhh!!!!!!!

How did the interview go? How long did it last? What kind of questions did they ask? Do you feel confident? Give me a play-by-play. 

13 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

Yeah. That's normal. 

is it? well, if so I guess thats a little comforting since, so thanks! 

3 minutes ago, StFrancisXavier said:

Same.  Going in I was totally confident.  MA degree in hand. Publication in a peer-reviewed journal. Contract with a college doing curriculum development for a political theory class.  Then no call or wait list from Chicago, Arizona, and now Virginia... #freakout

yea, maybe I was also confident going in...but I didn't think my confidence would leave so fast! I  just want to hear something. I feel pretty safe assuming that I didn't get in to Chicago and Arizona (and now UCSD :(), but the worst part is the ever so slight thought that there might still be a chance for those programs.

After an interview weekend that was so ridiculous I can't even begin here (once I gather myself, there will be a blog post) I found out that there's basically no funding given to first year students. Like, okay, cool, excuse me while I cry in a corner.
They put me/all the applicants through a LOT, and it just doesn't make sense to test us like that if there's not any funding. Yeah, the research is great and the students seem cool, but where's the disconnect here? What's the problem?

UGH. 

I'm more upset every time I remember another detail. 

24 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

After an interview weekend that was so ridiculous I can't even begin here (once I gather myself, there will be a blog post) I found out that there's basically no funding given to first year students. Like, okay, cool, excuse me while I cry in a corner.
They put me/all the applicants through a LOT, and it just doesn't make sense to test us like that if there's not any funding. Yeah, the research is great and the students seem cool, but where's the disconnect here? What's the problem?

UGH. 

I'm more upset every time I remember another detail. 

Who did you interview with? (Unless you'd prefer not to say).

Just now, dgswaim said:

Who did you interview with? (Unless you'd prefer not to say).

As a blogger, I'm pretty committed to sharing my info. I was just at Western Michigan University, and it was ridiculously intense. Out late, up early-- I didn't get to eat for nearly 36 hours due to truly unpredictable issues involving the chosen restaurants and lack of a back up plan. It was a test of endurance, but for what ultimate reward? There are very few spots available in the program, sure, but the funding thing is really bothering me. I can only hope that it was a scare tactic... but that's not my gut feeling.  

41 minutes ago, lisamadura said:

How did the interview go? How long did it last? What kind of questions did they ask? Do you feel confident? Give me a play-by-play. 

They asked me a LOT of questions about the research I've done as an MA student  (a lot about my thesis, some about an article that's forthcoming, and some more about a forthcoming article that I coauthored with my thesis advisor). Some of the questions were fairly pressing, but I fielded them pretty well. After that it was a lot of give and take about where my research might go from here, where it links up with what people in the program are doing, and the like. Then we talked a bit about life in Phoenix and so on. All told it was nearly 90 minutes.

Two hours after the interview I received a very positive email from the program director  (who was one of the professors I'd just interviewed with), and then right after that an email from the head of the department, and in both emails it was emphasized that I'd left a "very favorable impression."

After I replied to their emails this morning, the department head emailed me back saying she "hopes that I get a lot of offers, but that I choose ASU."

So, no formal offer at this point, but prospects are good.

Edited by dgswaim

52 minutes ago, dgswaim said:

After I replied to their emails this morning, the department head emailed me back saying she "hopes that I get a lot of offers, but that I choose ASU."

That sounds an awful lot like an acceptance to me! Maybe not formally, but still. Congrats!