Venting Thread

dgswaim

1 hour ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Brutal. Hope you hear from somebody soon.

The projections only make it worse. I had my hopes up that I'd hear from Wash U by now, on the strength of the February 8th prediction, but I've got nothing...

I'm beginning to think I'm in a bizarre Twilight Zone episode, and I'm never going to hear from anyone ever. I think there must be scientists studying me or something. 

Saw a Syracuse acceptance. Checked the portal and nothing. At least I'll be at the Compass workshop this weekend. Vigorously checking my email between sessions, but that's better than being at my computer all weekend.

Anyone else going?

Yeah, i'm in a strange position. A school i applied to already sent out acceptances, rejections and waitlist notifications. I've heard nothing at this point and obsessively checking my application portal. 

2 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Currently annoyed that it's the weekend and that this means we won't hear as much. Then again, I was waitlisted on a Saturday last year.

haha, you shouldn't have told me that...I was going to lay off gmail today >_<

On 2/13/2017 at 2:45 PM, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Still ceaselessly checking my email to hear from WashU. My god, I should have applied to more than two programs outside the PGR's top 3.

I think I also shot too high, with only 2 programs far outside the PGR Top 20 despite my unusual undergrad experience (Great Books instead of traditional philosophy major). ? Ah well, if I get shut out at least I'll have learned something.

3 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

I think I also shot too high, with only 2 programs far outside the PGR Top 20 despite my unusual undergrad experience (Great Books instead of traditional philosophy major). :/ Ah well, if I get shut out at least I'll have learned something.

Well, your GPA and GRE scores are stellar, so you can take some solace in that. Best of luck!

17 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Well, your GPA and GRE scores are stellar, so you can take some solace in that. Best of luck!

hah, thanks! I probably got overconfident after my GRE though; wish I had applied to some more programs around 40-50. Well, dum spero, spiro. 

16 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

What was your writing sample?

I wrote about whether we should accept the Repugnant Conclusion. I'm guessing that or my letters might have been weak (the profs at my alma mater are not too well known). 

Your GPA and GREs look strong as well. Good luck! 

21 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

I wrote about whether we should accept the Repugnant Conclusion. I'm guessing that or my letters might have been weak (the profs at my alma mater are not too well known). 

Your GPA and GREs look strong as well. Good luck! 

Thanks. That sounds highly relevant to ethics-oriented programs, so I wouldn't worry. You didn't happen to go to St. John's, did you?

28 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Thanks. That sounds highly relevant to ethics-oriented programs, so I wouldn't worry. You didn't happen to go to St. John's, did you?

haha, yeah, SJC Annapolis '13 alum. I said "profs" to avoid confusion, but technically we call them "tutors." We read a lot of philosophy there, but unfortunately for PhD applicants, the major is "Liberal Arts," and a lot of the tutors don't have Philosophy PhDs. 

24 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Yale and Toronto are both expected this week. Would be nice if they were a bit early.....

Agreed. Also, it would be nice if those that are late re their predictions would release already (I'm looking at you, Arizona and Indiana!).

2 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Seriously, what is up with the lateness of decisions this year??! Indiana, Arizona, waitlists for Madison and Chapel Hill??!

Also how stress-inducing was grad cafe being down?! That was awful. 

Arizona just sent some acceptances. 4 posted today! ... Nothing on Bloomington, except their HPS PhD

14 minutes ago, Turretin said:

Arizona just sent some acceptances. 4 posted today! ... Nothing on Bloomington, except their HPS PhD

Where are these acceptances posted from Arizona?

NEVERMIND I SEE THEM.

Edited by I_am_the_last_Thylacine
It was a stupid question.

3 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Seriously, what is up with the lateness of decisions this year??! Indiana, Arizona, waitlists for Madison and Chapel Hill??!

Also how stress-inducing was grad cafe being down?! That was awful. 

Right? I like going through this miserable process with the rest of you.