Venting Thread

dgswaim

On 3/23/2017 at 0:44 PM, To φ or not to φ said:

Not really venting here, but has anyone not heard from Brandeis yet?

Hi! It me. I've gotten both the informal letter and the formal acceptance. This is in addition to a status update on the website. I believe there may also be a waitlist, though I don't know whether is is "visible" or "invisible." I think someone in the FB group is turning down their Brandeis offer, so perhaps this will help!

Also, I will be attending in the fall! Hooray!

Edited by Dysexlia
typo

4 hours ago, Dysexlia said:

Hi! It me. I've gotten both the informal letter and the formal acceptance. This is in addition to a status update on the website. I believe there may also be a waitlist, though I don't know whether is is "visible" or "invisible." I think someone in the FB group is turning down their Brandeis offer, so perhaps this will help!

Also, I will be attending in the fall! Hooray!

Hello! Congrats!

I got rejected from Brandeis! Not even wait-listed! :< 

6 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Where are you waiting to hear back from? I'm just waiting on SLU, and I'm presuming a rejection -- though hoping otherwise.

Still need to hear from Riverside, Austin, Rochester, and Chapel Hill. I'm not necessarily hopeful, I just want it to be done with already. 

17 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Where are you waiting to hear back from? I'm just waiting on SLU, and I'm presuming a rejection -- though hoping otherwise.

May I ask why you are presuming a rejection? They haven't issued any acceptances, have they?

8 minutes ago, Theoldpond0 said:

May I ask why you are presuming a rejection? They haven't issued any acceptances, have they?

Someone posted that they were waitlisted a while ago.

3 hours ago, Theoldpond0 said:

I think there is some hope as long as you are in the waiting list.. I have the same situation.. anxious...

Don't give up hope too quickly. I heard nothing from Arizona as they sent out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. I presumed rejected, a few weeks passed, and now I'm accepted. 

On the topic of venting, holy hell I forgot how stressful decision making like this can be. 

1 hour ago, Nichi said:

Don't give up hope too quickly. I heard nothing from Arizona as they sent out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections. I presumed rejected, a few weeks passed, and now I'm accepted. 

On the topic of venting, holy hell I forgot how stressful decision making like this can be. 

You must be jealous of my stress-free decision :P 

Still haven't gotten the official letter from Brandeis, so I'm not sure what's up with that. But I did find out that BU apparently "never received" my GRE scores, even though I sent them to the correct code last July when I took the test. I'm pretty sure the issue is that I legally changed my name between taking the test and applying, but that shouldn't even be an issue since they can just look at my SSN, birthdate, and other identifying information. I disclosed the name change initially and included a copy of the court order with my application materials, since I have transcripts under both names. Plus, no other school had an issue with it. (This isn't what's happening with Brandeis because my application shows that they received my GRE scores.) Just aggravated that this process is ending up even more stressful than predicted. 

On 3/26/2017 at 5:41 PM, mano said:

I am waiting on UNC as well. I think it is now safe to assume a rejection given that they've sent out wait lists already last week. 

On 3/26/2017 at 8:09 PM, Ibycus said:

Extremely likely, but I need that grim final certainty >_<

On 3/26/2017 at 11:33 PM, Dialectica said:

Still need to hear from Riverside, Austin, Rochester, and Chapel Hill. I'm not necessarily hopeful, I just want it to be done with already. 

And others waiting on UNC: One of our current first-years was in the position last year where he had heard nothing from UNC up until the week of the 15th. He was about to accept an offer somewhere else when one of his professors encouraged him to email UNC. He did and was told that they were waiting on a decision from one other person and to wait out a little longer. I believe he ended up getting accepted the morning of the 15th. I recommend that if you have not heard anything you email UNC *close* to the deadline to get some sense of your standing. We do things a bit differently, and whether or not is the best way is really beside the point at this moment. Sorry, this process really does suck. Hang in there.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:20 PM, akraticfanatic said:

Still haven't gotten the official letter from Brandeis, so I'm not sure what's up with that. But I did find out that BU apparently "never received" my GRE scores, even though I sent them to the correct code last July when I took the test. I'm pretty sure the issue is that I legally changed my name between taking the test and applying, but that shouldn't even be an issue since they can just look at my SSN, birthdate, and other identifying information. I disclosed the name change initially and included a copy of the court order with my application materials, since I have transcripts under both names. Plus, no other school had an issue with it. (This isn't what's happening with Brandeis because my application shows that they received my GRE scores.) Just aggravated that this process is ending up even more stressful than predicted. 

I would ask them about that official letter. You got the unofficial one, right? So it might have just been an oversight on their part. I think at this point in the game it's fine to ask.

Edited by Dysexlia

1 hour ago, Dysexlia said:

I would ask them about that official letter. You got the unofficial one, right? So it might have just been an oversight on their part. I think at this point in the game it's fine to ask.

I have! I've emailed and called multiple people in admissions and financial aid but haven't gotten a response back. I'm going to campus next week anyway so if I don't hear from anyone by then I'll go bug them in person. 

On 3/30/2017 at 3:05 PM, akraticfanatic said:

I have! I've emailed and called multiple people in admissions and financial aid but haven't gotten a response back. I'm going to campus next week anyway so if I don't hear from anyone by then I'll go bug them in person. 

That's really strange that they haven't gotten back to you!

Recently I have been thinking that I may not want to rush into a graduate program, mainly because I am not sure if I want to become a professional philosopher. I am finishing my undergrad in a month and I think I will try to get a job outside of academia since I feel like I am not fully committed to graduate school. However, if after a year I do decide I want to attend graduate school, will the schools that accepted me this application season be more tentative to accept me since I turned down their offers this year?

4 hours ago, goss said:

Recently I have been thinking that I may not want to rush into a graduate program, mainly because I am not sure if I want to become a professional philosopher. I am finishing my undergrad in a month and I think I will try to get a job outside of academia since I feel like I am not fully committed to graduate school. However, if after a year I do decide I want to attend graduate school, will the schools that accepted me this application season be more tentative to accept me since I turned down their offers this year?

Honestly, I doubt it. My understanding is that at most schools, the make up of the admissions committee changes from year to year. And even if it ended up being the same people, it seems unlikely that they would remember your application anyway. And even if by some chance they do, I doubt they would hold it against you. People may hold off on grad school for a year for all sorts of reasons, personal and professional. Also, they won't know why you declined admissions this year if you don't tell them. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

5 hours ago, Franzkafka said:

Any idea about UConn? Why hasn't they sent out rejections?

Last year on March 4, I emailed them to ask about my application status. They responded on April 15 to tell me that I was rejected. To my knowledge, they don't contact rejected applicants unless they ask about their application status. I noticed that this year so far, some people who contacted UConn were told that they were waitlisted, and at least one person received a rejection email. Last week, I contacted UConn, but they haven't responded yet. Maybe I'm on a waitlist for the waitlist???