Venting Thread

dgswaim

1 minute ago, bechkafish said:

I like that the acceptance thread was "hot" earlier and now it's the venting thread. The shine has worn off the first two weeks and the madness has finally begun to set in.

Bernie voice: "I'm just tired of the top 1% of all applicants getting more than 50% of the acceptances. This day and age, it is unacceptable."

2 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

Bernie voice: "I'm just tired of the top 1% of all applicants getting more than 50% of the acceptances. This day and age, it is unacceptable."

Oh I'm feelin' the Bern... of rejections

1 minute ago, majorshake said:

I regret every single mailing list, every single newsletter, every student email that I get. It gives me a flicker of a ray of hope and then takes it back.

I got not 1, but 2 spam calls this afternoon. 

6 minutes ago, majorshake said:

I regret every single mailing list, every single newsletter, every student email that I get. It gives me a flicker of a ray of hope and then takes it back.

You know what's funny, my Chicago rejection got sent to my "Promotions" inbox. 

Also, I'm signed up for a classics listserv and those people can't anything resembling a freaking sherd or hear someone mention a Trojan horse without it being worth mentioning to the listserv. So I made a separate folder for anything with the word "classics" since I was getting about 25 messages a day from them. And now, since I'm applying to programs in Ancient philosophy, some important emails have been sent to that folder instead. For example, apparently they had messaged me from the Toronto CPAMP and it got buried with a bunch of emails about how Lesbos is going to get a Noble Peace Prize or something. Like good for you, Lesbos, but you're seriously killing my mojo. 

1 minute ago, MVSCZAR said:

You know what's funny, my Chicago rejection got sent to my "Promotions" inbox. 

Also, I'm signed up for a classics listserv and those people can't anything resembling a freaking sherd or hear someone mention a Trojan horse without it being worth mentioning to the listserv. So I made a separate folder for anything with the word "classics" since I was getting about 25 messages a day from them. And now, since I'm applying to programs in Ancient philosophy, some important emails have been sent to that folder instead. For example, apparently they had messaged me from the Toronto CPAMP and it got buried with a bunch of emails about how Lesbos is going to get a Noble Peace Prize or something. Like good for you, Lesbos, but you're seriously killing my mojo. 

All of the listservs are pretty bad - the philosophy and French studies ones are ridiculous too.

Those people are just so keen on their news.

7 hours ago, Cecinestpasunphilosophe said:

The link is relevant to every application, because every application is a mistake when you could instead be reading philosophy in Hawaii with a faculty that takes their department photos wearing luaus.

(And yes. It seems I quoted the wrong post.)

Wear a luau? Rather than wearing a party? Or perhaps trying on a BBQ?

1 minute ago, MVSCZAR said:

So, since the holiday weekend has finally arrived and we can expect relative silence, anyone wanna try some philosophy gossip? In other words, anonymous people talking shit about Leiter? With enough force, we may actually summon him. 

I'm pretty sure you just have to say his name three times in the mirror...

6 minutes ago, bechkafish said:

I'm pretty sure you just have to say his name three times in the mirror...

True. I once mentioned him in a text message to a friend and he showed up and made it a group chat. He was all like, "Ew. You have continental cooties because you read Borges." And I was like, "It was just one time!!" 

I cant tell you guys more because he might sue me... It's true though... 

12 minutes ago, MVSCZAR said:

So, since the holiday weekend has finally arrived and we can expect relative silence, anyone wanna try some philosophy gossip? In other words, anonymous people talking shit about Leiter? With enough force, we may actually summon him. 

Just when you say that... BROWN