Official Fall 2016 Interview Thread

8 minutes ago, buzzbuzz11 said:

Hi, a friend of mine interviewed at Emerson last year and she gave me some info on what to expect. When you get there you sit in a room with the graduate students, then you're called in one at a time for your interview. Interviews are 15 minutes each, three questions. She suggested to make sure you don't talk the entire time because once the time is up you won't have the chance to ask any more questions face to face. 

Right but what kind of questions are they? 

7 minutes ago, buzzbuzz11 said:

Hi, a friend of mine interviewed at Emerson last year and she gave me some info on what to expect. When you get there you sit in a room with the graduate students, then you're called in one at a time for your interview. Interviews are 15 minutes each, three questions. She suggested to make sure you don't talk the entire time because once the time is up you won't have the chance to ask any more questions face to face. 

r the question slp based, for example what would u treat first in a patient, apraxia or aphasia? 

or is it more personal, like why u wanna be an slp?

Hi! Thanks @OverCaffeinated for also answering my question! Best of luck! @alicecdstudent I also didn't get an email and nothing on my portal, but their website says that " Candidates will receive invitations to interview in the first two weeks of February 2016." (http://www.emerson.edu/graduate-admission/apply) so there's still time! Also didn't hear from Boston University yet. Good luck! 

So a friend of mine interviewed last year and is in fact a student at Emerson. They asked her 3 questions (like mentioned earlier on this thread). They were (not verbatim, but the idea was the same) - 

1) What are your future goals ?

2) Discuss one of the challenging cases you have seen, and why was it challenging

3) What are your weakness?

And in the end they gave her time to ask any further questions she had about the program - she asked about admission decisions and funding options, She suggested we should read about the faculty profiles once we know who is taking our interview. Read about the centre. And be professional and genuine.

Hope this helps! 

1 hour ago, jennifer.nora said:

how much do you think doing a skype vs in person interview affects your chances?

i went with personal, just because i feel like that kinda shows you going the extra mile. if its for your top choice i say go for the personal interview. 

Got my notification about interviewing for Emerson on the 4th! I'm going in person on the 27th :)

I also interviewed last year, and I can back up what the other poster said. You wait in a room with other interview candidates until your turn, then get taken to a room with 2 faculty members. You get about 15 minutes with them and they ask you three questions. Make sure you think of one good question cause you'll only have time for one.

I also just found out yesterday that I got an interview at the University of Akron!

Hey everyone! I see a lot about Emerson, but since I didn't apply there I figured I would add a different interview to the list! I got an email inviting me to interview at Sacred Heart University yesterday (2/8)! The only options they gave me were Friday, Feb 19th or Saturday, Feb. 20th.  Hoping to get a spot in the Saturday interviews, but very excited! I do not know much about their program so I am excited to see everything and meet some of the staff!

4 hours ago, esopha said:

I just got the notification for the Boston U interview! And promptly sent them an email with a garbled sentence, but oh well. They know I can write, hopefully.

I got my interview from BU as well! :)

hi everyone!!

what sort of content questions have you been asked during interviews? i have one next week and would like to prepare -- ive already gone through the more personal, get to know you type of questions; now id like to study more slp/content related questions! any tips/questions you've been asked are greatly appreciated :)

On February 14, 2016 at 8:42 PM, ll321 said:

hi everyone!!

what sort of content questions have you been asked during interviews? i have one next week and would like to prepare -- ive already gone through the more personal, get to know you type of questions; now id like to study more slp/content related questions! any tips/questions you've been asked are greatly appreciated :)

I had an interview last week and outside the personal questions they asked my experience in speech, and to think back on cases I've observed - diagnosis, what the clinician did, etC.

1 hour ago, mayaella said:

Has anyone gotten an interview confirmation from Emerson yet? I know everything's probably just fine but it came a bit earlier last year so I was just curious

My interview time was posted to the portal last Monday then I received two general confirmation emails on Friday. I didn't receive a confirmation for my google form for interview type preference though, so I think I'll check up on that tomorrow.

Has anyone received a confirmation for the google form?