harvard

gelologist

Well, official letter came from Harvard EPS today! Even though i knew before from my POI, it's still a surprise.

That said, I've heard mixed reviews about the program there. Obviously the name is great, but because I haven't gotten a chance to visit yet, could anyone shed a little more light on the atmosphere of the dept there? I'm interested chiefly in knowing how the grad student dynamic is, and whether there's good synergy among faculty.

Edited by gelologist

I'm not affiliated with Harvard EPS, but I know some of the students there (plus one who transferred out with their advisor). Everyone I've interacted with has been really a pleasure to be around; sharp and fun. It seems like a good environment for the students in general with a great peer group. You should also email some students in your prospective lab to get their take!

I get the impression it is not such a positive place for pre-tenure faculty, so you should think hard about how likely your potential advisor is to still be there in 5 years. I don't know anything about the specifics of faculty dynamics, but it is hard to imagine that the high refusal rate for tenure makes for a more collaborative environment. I'm not sure how much that matters to you though--it really depends on how your advisor feels about it and how successful they think they are/can be. Remember you can make your committee from the best available folks, both inside and outside of Harvard.

Edited by Usmivka

8 hours ago, Usmivka said:

I'm not affiliated with Harvard EPS, but I know some of the students there (plus one who transferred out with their advisor). Everyone I've interacted with has been really a pleasure to be around; sharp and fun. It seems like a good environment for the students in general with a great peer group. You should also email some students in your prospective lab to get their take!

I get the impression it is not such a positive place for pre-tenure faculty, so you should think hard about how likely your potential advisor is to still be there in 5 years. I don't know anything about the specifics of faculty dynamics, but it is hard to imagine that the high refusal rate for tenure makes for a more collaborative environment. I'm not sure how much that matters to you though--it really depends on how your advisor feels about it and how successful they think they are/can be. Remember you can make your committee from the best available folks, both inside and outside of Harvard.

This is greatly helpful! Right now I'm in a pretty small master's program, so being able to turn around to other students either to be a sounding board for professional ideas, or social buddies is pretty important.

I've heard pre-tenure faculty have it rough there. Luckily my advisor is well-established, and has been there ~15 years; I don't see them leaving soon. But so long as pre-tenure faculty challenges don't bleed over much into relations among people in the dept, especially grad students, it sounds like it should be okay.

Obviously, I'll know more after a visit, but it's good to have some insight; thanks!

21 hours ago, carlsaganism said:

Nice man!! I live in boston and Cambridge is nice. If I didnt get an email, does it mean i got rejected?

Yeah I'm from the northeast and have been. It's a good area. Sadly, I have no idea if no email means rejected. Columbia/Lamont, for example, I know sends out a wave of first acceptances but then has more later. Harvard could be similar, or maybe they just do one round, I don't know. Sorry; wish I could be more helpful!

My knowledge of the Harvard EPS program is a little skewed---I'm on the planetary science side and studying exoplanets and while exoplanets is in the earth science department at my school, it's in the astro department at Harvard. So, the planetary scientists that are in my circle tend to prefer the CfA over EPS.

Also, on the topic of tenure at Harvard, I think it's hard for pre-tenure faculty anywhere at Harvard. I have heard it's one of the more difficult tenure processes, but maybe you both have heard something especially difficult specific to EPS! I have talked to astro faculty at Harvard and asked them about their tenure process (trying to figure out how other institutions do it as we're trying to effect some changes at our own). It turns out that the entire process is done at the University administration level, with very little input from the department and colleagues. 

6 hours ago, TakeruK said:

My knowledge of the Harvard EPS program is a little skewed---I'm on the planetary science side and studying exoplanets and while exoplanets is in the earth science department at my school, it's in the astro department at Harvard. So, the planetary scientists that are in my circle tend to prefer the CfA over EPS.

Also, on the topic of tenure at Harvard, I think it's hard for pre-tenure faculty anywhere at Harvard. I have heard it's one of the more difficult tenure processes, but maybe you both have heard something especially difficult specific to EPS! I have talked to astro faculty at Harvard and asked them about their tenure process (trying to figure out how other institutions do it as we're trying to effect some changes at our own). It turns out that the entire process is done at the University administration level, with very little input from the department and colleagues. 

hey there, I am also in the field of planetary science (between earth science and exoplanets). if you don't mind me asking, are you studying at Caltech's GPS?

@TakeruK thanks, I've heard similar about the university stuff there from a friend in the History program there.

@carlsaganism not to bash, but that belongs in a PM, dude. People aren't always comfortable sharing personal info publicly.

Let everyone remember to be respectful of privacy etc!

otherwise, trying to sort out a visit, will report back if anyone is curious, but other insight is still welcome. Thanks in advance!