Case Western MSW 2016

sugarandspice

I didn't see a discussion for Case Western's program so I thought I'd start one! I'm excited to have been accepted, and to have been given a scholarship, but I don't think it's enough for me to justify how much money that needs to be paid out of pocket. Is anyone else considering going here?

Hi! I submitted my application to Case on Jan. 20th, but haven't heard anything from them. May I ask when did you submit your application and when did you receive the decision? Someone said it takes one month until they notify us. 

I submitted mine super early... late august actually. They did say if you applied early that you would hear around January 15 (w/ scholarship info), so hopefully you'll be notified soon! I would even email admissions because your application might have already been reviewed but they haven't mailed out the decisions yet!

Thanks. How did they notify you? Email or mail? I've been checking their application portal but no further updates. It only says that my application has been submitted on 01/20/2016 :( I am thinking about emailing the School, but maybe if I don't hear from them before Feb 20.

I got in and received a scholarship. However, I think I'm probably crossing it off my list. It's not my top choice and even with scholarship, it would be a stretch for me financially.  But really I don't know enough about the program! The head of the mental health concentration did call me and he was really nice. 

I was also offered admission to CWRU... But the cost is just too much. I chose to go with a school that balanced reputability with cost (Arizona State University) and I love my program so far. I cannot justify paying CWRU tuition for a social worker salary.

Christina

On 2/7/2016 at 4:19 PM, TherapistyChristy said:

I was also offered admission to CWRU... But the cost is just too much. I chose to go with a school that balanced reputability with cost (Arizona State University) and I love my program so far. I cannot justify paying CWRU tuition for a social worker salary.

Christina

Totally agreeing with this- although CWRU is "highly ranked," it does not really matter much for an MSW since we'll all be doing the same thing in the end. Also considering that aside from merit scholarship, there is no financial assistance except for loans, which is a lot to take on considering the cost of tuition and fees

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Joy418 said:

So I got an email inviting me to interview for a fellowship that would be a full-ride scholarship. I had already written off Case so this really shocked me. If I happen to get it, a full ride is just going to be impossible to turn down.

Congratulations, Joy!  That's a big deal and I hope you get it!  Would that be the Leadership Fellowship you are referring to?  I am hoping to be considered for that as well as it's the only way I can envision attending Case.  However I do not have much leadership experience per se, only potential ;).  Can I ask what your experience is?

On 2/22/2016 at 5:44 PM, ediblestranger said:

Congratulations, Joy!  That's a big deal and I hope you get it!  Would that be the Leadership Fellowship you are referring to?  I am hoping to be considered for that as well as it's the only way I can envision attending Case.  However I do not have much leadership experience per se, only potential ;).  Can I ask what your experience is?

Yes the Leadership Fellowship! 

I don't have a ton of leadership experience...but I think my application probably showed initiative and potential? I taught ESOL classes for a couple years, volunteered at a domestic violence place while studying abroad in Ecuador, I also conducted my own research project in Ecuador, and am currently writing a very social-work type thesis. I am a student at Boston College, which is really respected in the social world field. My GPA is 3.95 and I've taken a lot of graduate classes in psychology and theology/pastoral ministry. I'm surprised they picked me but it would be such a dream to get it!

1 hour ago, Joy418 said:

Yes the Leadership Fellowship! 

I don't have a ton of leadership experience...but I think my application probably showed initiative and potential? I taught ESOL classes for a couple years, volunteered at a domestic violence place while studying abroad in Ecuador, I also conducted my own research project in Ecuador, and am currently writing a very social-work type thesis. I am a student at Boston College, which is really respected in the social world field. My GPA is 3.95 and I've taken a lot of graduate classes in psychology and theology/pastoral ministry. I'm surprised they picked me but it would be such a dream to get it!

Those sound like great experiences to me.  From what I have observed on this forum in the past few cycles, that fellowship has been given to applicants on less, so I think you stand a good chance!

1 hour ago, ediblestranger said:

Those sound like great experiences to me.  From what I have observed on this forum in the past few cycles, that fellowship has been given to applicants on less, so I think you stand a good chance!

Thank you! That's so encouraging :) I won't find out for a month or so...so that will be a fun wait.

20 hours ago, Opt4theBest said:

Hi! I've applied to Case Western on Jan 20 but haven't heard anything. Is this strange? I don't see any update on the portal. Thank you!

They estimate 6-7 weeks' processing time, so you should be hearing back soon!  I received an email first and then the portal was updated, but it sounds like not everyone saw an update on the portal.  If you call the school, they can give you your application status over the phone as well.

For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take between receiving your acceptance email and receiving scholarship information by mail?

2 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

They estimate 6-7 weeks' processing time, so you should be hearing back soon!  I received an email first and then the portal was updated, but it sounds like not everyone saw an update on the portal.  If you call the school, they can give you your application status over the phone as well.

For those of you who have been accepted, how long did it take between receiving your acceptance email and receiving scholarship information by mail?

They said I would get my scholarship offer in the mail a week after I got the email saying I had been accepted. It took more like 1 month.

Found out by email (after inquiring) that I received a $25K scholarship and a $4K stipend, making Case Western fall in the middle-range cost-wise on my school list.  Not bad, but I don't think I'll be attending unless I luck into one of those fellowships. @Joy418, how long after you received your acceptance were you asked to interview for the fellowship?

On 3/1/2016 at 8:37 PM, ediblestranger said:

Found out by email (after inquiring) that I received a $25K scholarship and a $4K stipend, making Case Western fall in the middle-range cost-wise on my school list.  Not bad, but I don't think I'll be attending unless I luck into one of those fellowships. @Joy418, how long after you received your acceptance were you asked to interview for the fellowship?

That's about what I received from them in scholarship, too. I was accepted 12/29 and got my scholarship info 1/21. But it sounded like they were interviewing everyone for the fellowship last week and this coming week...so idk if they've already notified everyone they're considering :( I could be totally wrong. I am quite sure I won't get it. But I won't find out for a couple weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, ediblestranger said:

Congratulations, Joy!  That is so awesome!  I told you that you had it in the bag ;)

Thank you so much! :) I really am still so surprised! Hoping to visit Cleveland soon!

19 minutes ago, Joy418 said:

Thank you so much! :) I really am still so surprised! Hoping to visit Cleveland soon!

I am so excited for you!  I haven't spent much time in Cleveland but I don't think it's a bad place to live.  Cost of living is dirt cheap and it's big enough and diverse enough that it should be good for social work.

Just now, ediblestranger said:

I am so excited for you!  I haven't spent much time in Cleveland but I don't think it's a bad place to live.  Cost of living is dirt cheap and it's big enough and diverse enough that it should be good for social work.

The cost of living is for sure on point! And I'm sure I'll like the city enough, at least for 2 years! It's pretty close to Ann Arbor, right? You sticking with your decision?