Social Work Demographic Questions

sugarandspice

I was just thinking about how most people applying to Social Work programs are not straight out of undergrad, and even saw that the average age for certain programs is 38! I'm just wondering if you guys have a sense of what to expect in terms of diversity regarding race, age, socioeconomic status, education, etc.

Probably more diversification in graduate social work programs than any other academic discipline. Large difference in age with some students coming straight out of undergrad and BSW programs, others spending several years in the field, and a third group pursuing mid-life career changes. Also, due to the nature of the work, there's more race and socioeconomic inclusion (though there could be much more). Most disparity at the Masters level is probably still gender -- with most programs having a large majority of female students.

I'm a recent grad and just turned 22 a few months ago. I had an internship during undergrad, a couple of volunteer experiences, but tons of research projects and presentations. I'm a southern guy from Tennessee, so I definitely think these programs value a diverse cohort. 

33 year old queer cis-female. I went back to school and completed my BA Honors in Political Science in 2013. I've been in the field since, working at a domestic violence intervention program for two years and recently taking over as advocate/administrator at a nonprofit providing pro-bono legal services for victims of dv/sexual assault/stalking. I applied to PSU's online MSW option so that I could continue in my current position as I earn my degree. I'm looking to continue working as an advocate and build my skills in administration and community service provision here in the amazing Pacific NW.

The following link below is a great resource to your question regarding what types of students enroll in an MSW from the Council on Social Work Education's 2013 survey on social work education in the states:

http://www.cswe.org/File.aspx?id=74478

Begin on page 29 which highlights Masters programs in social work.

"Enrollment

There were 35,178 full-time students enrolled as of fall 2013 in the 213 programs that provided this information, with an average of 165.2 students per program. Overall, full-time master’s students were predominantly female and under 34 years of age. There were 35.1% (n=12,355) full-time students from historically underrepresented groups and 2.0% (n=694) full-time foreign students (no resident visa)."

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 11.45.34 PM.png

Edited by morningjunky

34 year old (for just a little bit longer!) married momma w/two little ones. I'm a Case Manager with a Senior & Disability Services office and run an evidence-based depression management program for seniors. Background in housing & foreclosure counseling, case management and a few years as a CNA in a nursing home during undergrad. Finished a BS in Housing Studies at Oregon State University in 2005.

Accepted the Fall, 2016 3 year online MSW program at PSU today! Hoping to continue working my 30 hour per week job and utilize their Employed Social Worker field work option.