Help! MS in Data Science/Analytics - where should I apply

TanyaR91

**Edit: Deadlines are slipping away, so -- urgent help needed. :D If you read this, please pitch in with your thoughts/opinions. I realize this is kind of last-minute, but please help. :) **

Hi folks,

I'm applying for a masters in data science. This list seems too ambitious to me, but these are the ones still open - could you please give opinions (i.e. whether its ambi, mod or safe choice) on the ones listed and/or suggest other good universities? 

Also, I need the part-time option 'coz I'll probably be continuing my current job. 

Summary: GRE: 326, TOEFL: 120. Pune Uni: 68.5% (Batch of '13)
Electives : AI, Neural Networks. Studied ML independently (Coursera).
2 & a half years work experience in Business Intelligence. Projects in data warehousing (dimensional modelling+ETL+reporting in HR analytics, CRM analytics) as well as for setting up Data sciences at our company. 2 major projects with resp. whitepapers (however, not allowed to share those with universities due to copyright constraints - they are for internal use only).

Universities being considered: 

1.       Columbia (MS in DS)

2.       NYU (MS in DS - already applied)

3.       University of Washington (PMP CS)

4.       U Chicago (MS in Analytics)

5.       IU Bloomington (MS in DS)

6.       U Minnesota (MS in DS)

7.       U Cincinnati (MS in Analytics)

8.       Rutgers (MBS in Analytics)

Thanks for the response, emmm! :)

Yeah, the thing is - I currently work in India. My company will transfer me to the US if I get in to a grad school. I'll attend part-time there. Not sure I can keep up if it's entirely online, because of work load and other factors. 

Thanks for the info - will check if the UDub Data Science program allows part-timers. 

I just checked the website -- the classes are held in the evenings and the program can be done full-time or part-time. Best of luck!

8 hours ago, TanyaR91 said:

8.       Rutgers (MBS in Analytics)

There are at least 4 different master's programs in data science at Rutgers

Business school MBS Analytics (actually a joint program with the School of Communication & Information) the one you mentioned

Stand alone program in the School of Comm & Info (my program) -- allows part timers but you need to finish in a max of 3 years

The New Brunswick Grad school (Comp Sci department) and the Math/Stats department is starting one also.

1 hour ago, avflinsch said:

There are at least 4 different master's programs in data science at Rutgers

Business school MBS Analytics (actually a joint program with the School of Communication & Information) the one you mentioned

Stand alone program in the School of Comm & Info (my program) -- allows part timers but you need to finish in a max of 3 years

The New Brunswick Grad school (Comp Sci department) and the Math/Stats department is starting one also.

Is this MLIS program more Computer Source - heavy than the MBS one ? I'd like one with more IT-related courses than Business, so would you recommend the MLIS over the MBS or vice-versa? 

On 2/8/2016 at 9:43 AM, TanyaR91 said:

Is this MLIS program more Computer Source - heavy than the MBS one ? I'd like one with more IT-related courses than Business, so would you recommend the MLIS over the MBS or vice-versa? 

They are about the same. The MBS version is business oriented, the MI (Master of Information) is more of a data science specialization within a more traditional library science program. Many of the courses are cross listed between the two programs - same class meetings, same requirements but different course numbers. What varies are the other requirements within the program.

• 2 weeks later...