Guest Grad19204

Hello all, 

I got an email that I was waitlisted to UC Santa Barbara. I see a couple of rejections went out too. Did anyone get an offer yet!? As far as I can tell it doesn't look like it, but it seems so strange to send out rejections and waitlists without offers. 

I didn't (re)apply to Film/Media PhD's this year, but I did apply to Library Science / Archiving / and Film Preservation programs. I've been accepted to:

- University of Amsterdam (M.A. in Presentation and Preservation of the Moving Image)

- NYU (M.A. in Moving Image Archiving & Preservation)

- UCLA (MLIS w/ Media Archival Studies Specialization)

- Pratt (MLIS w/ Advanced Certificates in Archives and Museum Libraries)

- LIU (MLIS w/ Advanced Certificate in Archives and Records Management)

I like having a wide range of options - and it looks like overall it's WAY less intense and selective than PhD programs. After getting rejected from 8 PhD programs last year, I did a lot of soul searching and explored slightly safer options which pitted together theory-based education with trade work and internship opportunities. The only stipulation was: use and draw on your past academic experiences and specializations (I have a B.A. in History and an M.A. in Film Studies). With this route, it looks like I'll be able to do just that. This post isn't meant to impede or sway y'all in the PhD route (congrats to those accepted!) - I'm only telling my story, and there are certainly alternative pathways and options out there for those currently stressing out about "what to do." I've been there. I'm STILL there! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone here is going to decline USC or NYU's offer. I'm waitlisted by both. I have been admitted by U of Washington (Comp Lit, Cinema & Media Studies) & SUNY-Stony Brook (Cultural Studies).

Really hoping to hear back from USC or NYU soon; otherwise, I'll be taking the UW's offer.

Meanwhile, any thoughts on UW vs USC? BIG THANKS!!!

Guest Grad19204
2 hours ago, ylc said:

Wondering if anyone here is going to decline USC or NYU's offer. I'm waitlisted by both. I have been admitted by U of Washington (Comp Lit, Cinema & Media Studies) & SUNY-Stony Brook (Cultural Studies).

Really hoping to hear back from USC or NYU soon; otherwise, I'll be taking the UW's offer.

Meanwhile, any thoughts on UW vs USC? BIG THANKS!!!

I know someone who said she would turn down USC. I'd go there if I had to choose between UW and USC.

5 minutes ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

I know someone who said she would turn down USC. I'd go there if I had to choose between UW and USC.

Thank you!!

Crossing my fingers tight in hope your friend would send out her decline to USC soon, hopefully before 4/15!!!

Guest Grad19204
8 hours ago, ylc said:

Thank you!!

Crossing my fingers tight in hope your friend would send out her decline to USC soon, hopefully before 4/15!!!

You can still get accepted off the waitlist past 4/15, though. I'd say it's looking good for you =)

10 hours ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

You can still get accepted off the waitlist past 4/15, though. I'd say it's looking good for you =)

Thanks! I'd have to commit to U of Washington first if I don't hear back from either USC or NYU though, and I'm not so sure if it's really ok to back out after committing. Also, I don't even know if it would be my turn to get the spot once your friend declines it since, accordingly to those resulted submitted, I'm not the only being waitlisted... 

Edited by ylc

Guest Grad19204
1 hour ago, soontobeangel said:

Hey has anyone else heard from/applied to the Film Studies Masters at Emory University?  I got a rejection from them but haven't seen anybody on the site say otherwise.  Too small a cohort maybe?

Emory extended offers to 9 people this year. They received over 80 applications. They recently had budget cuts, which meant that the last two years have seen surprisingly small incoming cohorts (<2). They seemed to be trying to make up for that this year by letting in more people than usual. Funding hasn't improved, though...

22 hours ago, cikkatikkaskwarr said:

Emory extended offers to 9 people this year. They received over 80 applications. They recently had budget cuts, which meant that the last two years have seen surprisingly small incoming cohorts (<2). They seemed to be trying to make up for that this year by letting in more people than usual. Funding hasn't improved, though...

Thanks for the inside info.