Nuclear Engineering Research

dicapino

Hi guys, I am an International student. I just got an admission decision  for a MS Mechanical Engineering program. The offer comes with  an instate tuition waiver.

Well I am seeking  an assistantship position in the department and it seems most of the Professors in preferred area are not accepting new students.

I am left with one who is into Nuclear research and he may accept me if I  show interest. But the issue is that I don't have an idea of this research area. Tried reading his journals I just get headaches.

What do I do is possible  to make this kind of shift?

And what are the prospects of Nuclear research in the US?

I'm shifting from Physics to Nuclear Engineering for a MS...my hope is that with a strong math background, the transition will be manageable.  There's tons of research going on - the field is incredibly broad.  If nuclear power generation doesn't interest you, I recommend looking into detection/nonproliferation subfields.  I'm willing to bet that the US government will continue to fund research in this direction for the foreseeable future.