SIPA 2016

8 hours ago, monocle said:

I think so. They said in the next few weeks they'll let us know about sources of possible funding, though.

That being said, none of us without funding should decline outright. There are a lot of people who will reject their funding meaning it may become free (again just maybe), so I'm certainly going to ask for some more money when the deadline nears.

Just be smart about it. If you don't ask, then it's definitely $0. I may end up asking two or three times just in case money frees up at the right time.

I don't know if this is helpful, but on their blog, it said that they offer students way more funding that they have.  Let's say they have $1 million available in funding. But they offer $2 million to students because they know that not everyone who is offered funding will take it. Because they are offering money that they don't have in reality, people who reject funding don't actually make the money available. Good luck to everyone though, wishing you all the best!

Edited by ParisDreams

I also got in, but no mention of funding. This is exactly what I expected. I've applied to external scholarships and will continue to do so, but Columbia is really expensive and so is NYC, so the likelihood that I'd be able to fund 50-75% via external scholarships is slim. I already have debt from undergrad and I'm not willing to incur much more. The acceptance letter was great news but the reality of funding makes it a bummer...

1 hour ago, ennkay said:

I also got in, but no mention of funding. This is exactly what I expected. I've applied to external scholarships and will continue to do so, but Columbia is really expensive and so is NYC, so the likelihood that I'd be able to fund 50-75% via external scholarships is slim. I already have debt from undergrad and I'm not willing to incur much more. The acceptance letter was great news but the reality of funding makes it a bummer...

Same here. The acceptance letter was great, but the reality of no funding makes it a bleak dream. Though I expected as much for masters programs. I also applied to external fellowships, so hopefully things will work out in the end. I am willing to take out another $20-40K in loans, but more than that will make me strongly reconsider graduate school.

Have any early notification acceptances gotten notification of funding?  I imagine there's probably no letter forthcoming, but here's hoping... congrats to the new admits!

Edited by AlphaStep

51 minutes ago, AlphaStep said:

Have any early notification acceptances gotten notification of funding?  I imagine there's probably no letter forthcoming, but here's hoping... congrats to the new admits!

I did, I got the notification yesterday. They offered 60k, which is a definitely more than I was expecting. If I were you, I would wait a couple of days and if you still don't hear back, just send them an email to confirm. Congrats on being admitted though :)

31 minutes ago, internationalaffiars88 said:

Accepted with 100% funding ... Im 100% shocked and 100% going! Honestly I cant believe it. Best of luck to everyone still waiting for a decision on funding. Cant wait to meet everyone who decides to go this fall! 

May I ask how much SIPA offered you @internationalaffiars88?

Edited by wmkx

12 minutes ago, wmkx said:

May I ask how much SIPA offered you @internationalaffiars88?

Two $56k awards and the opportunity for a teaching assistantship in the second year (subject to fit and availibility). The letter said its "the most generous fellowship package offered."  

@rrrruoyao  thanks so much and good luck!! 

6 minutes ago, internationalaffiars88 said:

Two $56k awards and the opportunity for a teaching assistantship in the second year (subject to fit and availibility). The letter said its "the most generous fellowship package offered."  

congrats on your funding! I also got $56k per year ($112k total, I still can't believe how lucky I am!). but when it comes to the assistantship I don't think it is included in the financial aid - they just mentioned that there will be an opportunity to apply (at least that's what is written in my letter).

BTW, I didn't have the mention about "the most generous package offered", so this probably means that these letters are personalized, which is nice!

18 minutes ago, internationalaffiars88 said:

Thanks for sharing and congratulations to you and @marco_p on the generous offer!

SIPA held a Chat session for Admitted Early Notification applicants on February 25th which involved a PPT. If you look at Slide 3, it states "Scholarship Notification: March 11, 2016" . But it also mentions in Slide 11 that "[Scholarship] Decisions will be made along with all final admission decisions". So I'm not entirely sure what SIPA has in mind. The fact that pretty much no EN applicant has heard back about Financial Aid tells me that we need to wait, instead of telling ourselves that we were dinged in terms of financial aid... But it also makes you wonder whether it made sense applying as an EN applicant; I think we might have been better off applying in the regular deadline. That way atleast the uncertainty would not have been as bad hehe.

Edited by Shadowscholar123

46 minutes ago, Shadowscholar123 said:

SIPA held a Chat session for Admitted Early Notification applicants on February 25th which involved a PPT. If you look at Slide 3, it states "Scholarship Notification: March 11, 2016" . But it also mentions in Slide 11 that "[Scholarship] Decisions will be made along with all final admission decisions". So I'm not entirely sure what SIPA has in mind. The fact that pretty much no EN applicant has heard back about Financial Aid tells me that we need to wait, instead of telling ourselves that we were dinged in terms of financial aid... But it also makes you wonder whether it made sense applying as an EN applicant; I think we might have been better off applying in the regular deadline. That way atleast the uncertainty would not have been as bad hehe.

I emailed them and they told me they will be processing my FAFSA within the next week. I'm not sure if sure if this means that they will just suggest how many loans I should receive or whether they will actually offer me aid.

Guest SIPA_MPA18
11 hours ago, AlphaStep said:

I emailed them this morning and sent in my funding offer from Duke Sanford. SIPA told me all funding has been committed at this point and they will consider me for additional funding after the April 15th deadline. 

Congratulations to everyone who was admitted and additional congrats to those of you who were able to grab some $$$ from them too! 

18 hours ago, Shadowscholar123 said:

I got accepted with the EN deadline and didnt receive any funding either. I am an intl applicant, and they said they'll send out an email about possible loans etc in the next few weeks. Very bummed given that I was really excited about SIPA...hoping I can get some funding from the other schools..

52 minutes ago, lswidan said:

Any word on decisions for the International Fellows Program?

Curious about this myself. Maybe this is part of the March 11th scholarship notification mentioned earlier in this thread?