UCSF Sociology (or other med soc programs?)

MedSoc

Hi Everyone~

So, I'm really obsessed with UCSF Sociology. I know I want to do medical sociology and that department seems the most focused. I haven't seen much on here about UCSF so I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive it is? I have a pretty horrible undergrad GPA (from a top Ivy League school) and decent GRE scores. I'm currently working on two masters degrees (both Ivy league) and doing pretty well. I feel like my undergrad grades will automatically count me out of the top sociology programs, but I'm not sure how a place like UCSF will see me.

If anyone knows anything about acceptance to UCSF (or other med soc) I would love to hear all about it!!!

Thanks!

Hey,

I don't know much about UCSF. I would also really like to find out how competitive it is. I am applying to other med soc programs at bigger schools right now. UCSF's deadline is a month after everyone else, and if I don't have any offers at that point, I will probably turn in my application there as well. I could not imagine it being terribly cut throat, since medical sociology is all they do, and although I know it is an excellent department, they are not housed by a big name school and that alone should reduce the amount of competition.

Edited by Astronautka

Hi,

I am also obsessed with UCSF, it's a fantastic, fantastic program. I think it is fairly competitive because they only choose students that fit well with their faculty. I would recommend you get in touch with the faculty members there and make yourself known to them, it will definitely help you get in. Make sure you have a medical sociologists writing a rec for you if you can, that will help as well. I was speaking with the chair of the admissions committee on the phone recently and he highly recommended UCSF's medical sociology program, which has been echoed by my advisors and several other faculty members at other schools. If your grades aren't great but your research interests work well with the UCSF program, it may not be an issue. But definitely get in touch with the faculty and talk about your research interests with them. Be forewarned--they don't offer money (no undergraduates so no TA positions). UCSF is housed in one of the best medical schools in the country and has an excellent school of public health as well though so graduate students can get on research projects in those fields to fund their education.

Best,

SA

• 7 years later...