2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

On 1/27/2017 at 10:26 AM, hockeyref24 said:

Ok guys, I have a questions. I got an interview from a school (call it school A) that I am interested in, however, through searching the forum a school (Call it school B ) higher on my list is planning an interview weekend on the same weekend. I have yet to be invited to school B  interview weekend, but its a month away. Should I accept the interview at school A and worry about having to reschedule the interviews when it happens? Would it be appropriate to call school B and explain the situation. If push comes to shove, I would rather interview at school B than school A. 

School B is not going to care that you have an interview from School A. If you think it's likely that you will go to School A if you are not accepted at School B, you should accept the interview. If not, then it might be worthwhile to wait on School B. However, if you're interested in School A, pass on the interview waiting for School B, then are not invited to interview at School B, I think you may regret it. That's my two cents.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:24 AM, Josie817 said:

Recently received my interview schedule for Johns Hopkins MMI/BMB...and I was surprised that the faculty I'm meeting with don't entirely match my research interests. In my app I said I was interested in microbiology and they paired me with two immunology people and two random cell bio people. Is this a bad sign? Between the two programs I gave them nearly 10 people I was interested working with and they matched me with 2. Does this mean that most of the people on my list didn't want to meet with me, or that they just weren't available? I've been on two interviews so far and they did a really good job of finding people whose research interested matched my own. Has anyone else experienced this?

As others have said, this is likely not a reflection on you. It's just that the professors you're interested in are especially popular or otherwise not available. However, I would say that when I was in a similar situation, it was especially difficult to make a good impression because our research interests were so different. As a computational biophysicist, when I was listening to an experimental immunology professor talk about his research, I felt like we were talking two completely different languages. I found it difficult to come up with any kind of interesting or insightful questions on the fly, so I might advise some extra prep work for these interviews if your research interests and/or backgrounds are especially different.

On 1/28/2017 at 0:02 PM, Janiejoneswoah said:

If they've already bought your plane tickets, expect to be sent the bill...

On 1/28/2017 at 0:14 PM, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

Why would you have to pay this unless you agreed somehow to pay for the tickets in the case that you decline? I think this is a rumor. Someone pipe up if they have evidence of this.

If a program has bought your plane ticket for you, there's really no way for them to make you pay for it, though some programs may ask (demand) you to do so. If you've bought the plane ticket yourself and the program was going to reimburse you after the fact, you definitely shouldn't expect to get that reimbursement.

7 minutes ago, sqxz said:

If a program has bought your plane ticket for you, there's really no way for them to make you pay for it, though some programs may ask (demand) you to do so. If you've bought the plane ticket yourself and the program was going to reimburse you after the fact, you definitely shouldn't expect to get that reimbursement.

UIUC is the one demanding you pay, lol.

3 hours ago, Cryptochrometime said:

How would you approach a rejection from a school you interviewed at? Should I email them and ask if they have any paticular reasons or improvements?

I emailed the professors with whom I interviewed asking if they had suggestions for improvement after my first interview and rejection. Some brushed me off, while others offered helpful feedback. If you do this politely and non-defensively/non-desperately, I think it can be a useful exercise. I wouldn't ask for particular reasons why you were rejected, though...I would just ask if they have any suggestions for improvement.

On 1/29/2017 at 10:06 AM, Proteostasis Aficionado said:

Hi guys!

So I am highly considering cancelling an interview because I just feel overwhelmed by all the work I am behind on and I will probably not attend this program. However, they already bought plane tickets for me and I don't know how to go about it. Has somebody been through a similar experience? Do you know if I'd have to pay for the plane tickets if I cancel? I'd really appreciate your help!

Cancelling an interview after a program has bought a plane ticket is considered really bad form and reflects very poorly on you. If you're feeling this way now, you should not have accepted so many interviews in the first place. Even if you're no longer interested in a program, most administrators would rather you come and fake it than force them to eat that sunk cost of a plane ticket. If you really feel that it's absolutely necessary for you to cancel this interview, you should explain the circumstances, apologize, and offer to pay the program back for the plane ticket.

Having said all that, if a program has bought your plane ticket for you, there's really no way for them to make you pay for it, though some programs may ask (demand) you to do so. If you've bought the plane ticket yourself and the program was going to reimburse you after the fact, you definitely shouldn't expect to get that reimbursement.

18 hours ago, virionoftomorrow said:

Ha, so did I apparently, I just haven't checked my mail in awhile. I wonder why they invite you to the recruitment through email and tell you that you've been accepted in a letter completely separately. Confusing. I guess I'll see you this weekend!

Haha, I suppose we will! I remember when I got the recruitment weekend email from UGA there was no mention of an interview so I kept wondering if I was completely in or not - I guess we have our answer! Looking forward to this weekend, any pressure's definitely off.