2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

6 hours ago, BigThomason51 said:

Strange.  Normally I would say it's a bad sign, but so many people haven't heard from Case.  It's pretty strange.  Perhaps they got an influx of people apply extremely early, and already have filled their class?  

At this point I just want to know, haha. I only haven't heard from two programs.

16 minutes ago, alexzebra said:

Yeah, me and someone else I talked to both heard from our PIs this morning

Congrats. Just curious when you interviewed? Hope they are just starting to send invites. 

On 2017. 2. 23. at 10:40 AM, Cancer said:

Hey. How are you? How was your interview? I still got no news from them. I'm dying here :wacko:

It was really nice! I heard that they are having their last on-site interview week after two weeks. But I have no idea when they are having Skype interviews. If they don't answer your email, calling them is another option :)

1 hour ago, Cryptochrometime said:

How much does ranking matter to you when selecting which graduate program to attend?

It mattered very little to me when I applied. I chose programs based on the structure of the program, research support, and faculty I was interested in working with. You need to ultimately go to a school where you feel you fit and can get a good education that will prepare you for the next step, be it a job in industry or remaining in academia. Some will argue that higher ranked schools tend to have better research funding and faculty, which to a degree is true, but they might not have the type of program you need, and the faculty there might not be working on things you're interested in.

4 hours ago, Cryptochrometime said:

How much does ranking matter to you when selecting which graduate program to attend?

2 hours ago, biotechie said:

It mattered very little to me when I applied. I chose programs based on the structure of the program, research support, and faculty I was interested in working with. You need to ultimately go to a school where you feel you fit and can get a good education that will prepare you for the next step, be it a job in industry or remaining in academia. Some will argue that higher ranked schools tend to have better research funding and faculty, which to a degree is true, but they might not have the type of program you need, and the faculty there might not be working on things you're interested in.

Linking to my previous post on this matter (and the forum search function is great since this gets asked every year)

Just found out USC PIBBS has sent a rejection two days ago; it ended up in my spam box.

Not bothered by it as I have much better choice now:) I am but a bit surprised as I deemed it as a safe option.

Curious if any international students residing outside US have received interview invitation from them? Maybe that piece of information would be helpful for later international applicants.

it really grinds my gears that I got rejected from a school because of my GRE scores! Why did you then interview me in the first place like you didn't see my scores or something. Program director emailed saying your interviews went well and everyone liked you blah blah blah. Just ended up accepting me into their MS program like I applied for it in the first place :(

37 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

it really grinds my gears that I got rejected from a school because of my GRE scores! Why did you then interview me in the first place like you didn't see my scores or something. Program director emailed saying your interviews went well and everyone liked you blah blah blah. Just ended up accepting me into their MS program like I applied for it in the first place :(

That's really dumb. GRE scores shouldn't matter at all by this stage. Actually, that test is a scam and should be thrown out altogether.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:06 PM, HerrDoktor said:

Hey all, very late to the show here but I just wanted to add my stats should future applicants search for information about the programs I've interviewed with/been accepted at

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): Microbiology
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: ~3.9
Overall GPA: ~3.9
Position in Class: Close to top - Dean's List every semester
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V: 164
W: 6.0
B: -

Research Experience: 

• Three years of research in a plant pathology lab, including one summer as an REU student; one manuscript in progress, will probably have enough data for a first author by the end of undergrad
  • One summer as a DAAD-RISE intern in an applied molecular biology lab

To be honest I didn't consider my research experience to be terribly strong (especially relative to a lot of other applicants I've met) so I'm a little surprised at how well things have been going

Awards/Honors/Recognition: Dean's List (multiple semesters), Pädadgogischer Austauschdienst Study Trip Prize

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

• Extremely involved in a national STEM competition for middle and high school students as a tournament organizer
  • Involved in other science education/outreach efforts on campus
  • General microbiology lab TA
  • Started an undergraduate microbiology organization

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: I think I hit everything?

Special Bonus Points: Got a recommendation letter from a PI who is quite well-known in environmental microbiology

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: -

Applying to Where:
Results are up to date as of 1.31.17

• UC Berkeley PMB (accepted)
  • University of Georgia Microbiology (accepted)
  • Stanford Earth System Science (interview, going in a few weeks)
  • USC Marine Environmental Biology (interview, going in a few weeks)
  • UW-Madison MDTP (interview, going in a few weeks)
  • MIT Microbiology (interview, turned down their offer)
  • Michigan State Microbiology and Molecular Genetics (never heard back - might have forgotten to send in official transcripts)

Where did you end up choosing?

Good day. Any university of Houston Phd pharmacology applicant here? Deadline for application was 20th January and i am wondering if one shouldn't have hear back by now? Apologies if i am posting in the wrong forum

Kinda late to the show. Nonetheless...

Undergrad Institution: Top 15 private school
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: ~3.82
Overall GPA: ~3.82
Position in Class: Often Deans list
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162
V: 168
W: 5.0
B: -

Research Experience: 

Three years in my stem cell lab, two summers in the same lab (REU)

Awards/Honors/Recognition: Dean's List, REU

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

• STEM leadership

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 

Special Bonus Points: On a paper in publishing

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: -

Applying to Where:
Results are up to date as of 2.28.17

• UCSF (accept)
  • UChicago (accept)
  • Northwestern (accept)
  • Princeton (Interviewed)