2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

40 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

I noticed Pittsburgh sent interview offers Nov 23rd. Any of you folk apply there? Was bummed not to have gotten an invite, but hoping that it was just because they hadn't received my final recommendation yet (even if it was letter #4) :/

I applied to Pittsburgh IBGP and haven't heard back either. It seemed like they sent out invitations on the 23rd and 30th of November. So I thought with their rolling admission they were probably sending out invites every Wednesday, but then Wednesday rolls around and it seems like not a single person heard from them... Which of their tracks did you apply to/indicate interest in?

9 minutes ago, pitchfork said:

I applied to Pittsburgh IBGP and haven't heard back either. It seemed like they sent out invitations on the 23rd and 30th of November. So I thought with their rolling admission they were probably sending out invites every Wednesday, but then Wednesday rolls around and it seems like not a single person heard from them... Which of their tracks did you apply to/indicate interest in?

Oh Lord, they've now sent TWO rounds of interviews? The anxiety is unreal.

I just looked at my IBGP application and I couldn't find any questions pertaining to track - if I specified, then it was most likely immunology. Which did you apply to?

6 hours ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Oh Lord, they've now sent TWO rounds of interviews? The anxiety is unreal.

I just looked at my IBGP application and I couldn't find any questions pertaining to track - if I specified, then it was most likely immunology. Which did you apply to?

The only part I could think of was when they asked for phrases describing research interest and I indicated immunology as well. It could be that the review committee for certain tracks haven't met yet. A grad student in my lab who got into Pitts IGP three years ago told me the first interview invite she got was from Penn so maybe the invites for that are not out yet. 

The anxiety waiting for these damn emails is horrible! I catch myself refreshing my email 15 minutes after I JUST checked it... It would be nice to say that studying for finals takes my mind off of it, but I only have 2 finals (one of which is a joke). At least I have Clash of Clans and Clash Royale :) 

Edited by DGD4L

22 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

The anxiety waiting for these damn emails is horrible! I catch myself refreshing my email 15 minutes after I JUST checked it... It would be nice to say that studying for finals takes my mind off of it, but I only have 2 finals (one of which is a joke). At least I have Clash of Clans and Clash Royale :) 

can't agree more. Keep refreshing these 3 tabs every 15 min...

a million 9.jpg

I suggest you all just relax and avoid checking your email too often. Check it once a day or so and do something else to occupy yourselves. 

The true anxiety begins after you get invitations and you have to wait a month or more to interview. :D

8 minutes ago, blc073 said:

I suggest you all just relax and avoid checking your email too often. Check it once a day or so and do something else to occupy yourselves. 

The true anxiety begins after you get invitations and you have to wait a month or more to interview. :D

@blc073 that's what I'm trying to do! It's just an anxious/exciting/scary time in life haha. 

On a side note, how do you like Harvard BBS? Now that I'm done with applications and stuff I think it would be interesting to hear about it from someone who went through it all already and is in the program! I applied as my "reach" school, just as everyone else probably did lol.

7 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

@blc073 that's what I'm trying to do! It's just an anxious/exciting/scary time in life haha. 

On a side note, how do you like Harvard BBS? Now that I'm done with applications and stuff I think it would be interesting to hear about it from someone who went through it all already and is in the program! I applied as my "reach" school, just as everyone else probably did lol.

Well, you have to figure out a way to take your mind off the process. Otherwise, you're going to lose your mind. I'm actually being pretty serious. This is an important time to demonstrate to yourself that you can manage a work-life balance. 

Harvard BBS is a great program with a lot of pros. However, like any other program, there are also many cons. If you would like to know more about my experience, I would be happy to talk with you via PM. 

4 hours ago, pitchfork said:

The only part I could think of was when they asked for phrases describing research interest and I indicated immunology as well. It could be that the review committee for certain tracks haven't met yet. A grad student in my lab who got into Pitts IGP three years ago told me the first interview invite she got was from Penn so maybe the invites for that are not out yet. 

Fair point.... Let's hope that's it ? did you apply to Penn's immunology as well? I nearly did but went to CAMB instead...

7 minutes ago, blc073 said:

Well, you have to figure out a way to take your mind off the process. Otherwise, you're going to lose your mind. I'm actually being pretty serious. This is an important time to demonstrate to yourself that you can manage a work-life balance. 

Harvard BBS is a great program with a lot of pros. However, like any other program, there are also many cons. If you would like to know more about my experience, I would be happy to talk with you via PM. 

Just sent it. Thanks @blc073!

11 hours ago, pitchfork said:

I got an interview for Pitt on November 23rd! But I also completed my application pretty early (November 1st). They said they started looking at applications as they became finished, so they'll probably send out a few more waves of interview requests. Good luck!!

2 minutes ago, Josie817 said:

I got an interview for Pitt on November 23rd! But I also completed my application pretty early (November 1st). They said they started looking at applications as they became finished, so they'll probably send out a few more waves of interview requests. Good luck!!

Congrats! 

4 minutes ago, Josie817 said:

Congratulations! Hope it goes well! 

2 minutes ago, BumbleB said:

Congrats! 

1 minute ago, DGD4L said:

Congratulations! Hope it goes well! 

Thanks! It's the only school I've heard back from so far, anxiously awaiting the rest!

2 minutes ago, Josie817 said:

Thanks! It's the only school I've heard back from so far, anxiously awaiting the rest!

One is better than none! Good luck!

13 hours ago, jumbo1177 said:

How exactly does the interview notification process work? Like do all schools send out their interview invites in one day, or is it like spread over multiple days, or does it depend on the school? For example, if some people got an interview from Vandy yesterday, does that mean I'm not going to get one?

Vandy's is rolling. They meet every Monday and then send a bunch of invites out. Not sure about the other schools though. This was supposed to be my "super reach" school but man...hope is a powerful thing, haha!! 

Hang in there everyone!! 

19 minutes ago, Born-to-pipette said:

Fair point.... Let's hope that's it ? did you apply to Penn's immunology as well? I nearly did but went to CAMB instead...

I applied to CAMB MVP as well. I was going through older posts in this thread and noticed we had near identical lists of programs. Let's use this to our advantage to soothe our anxiety and keep each other sane:D.

53 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Got email from UIUC, asking me to fill a survey...... don't get too excited when you see email from UIUC today...

I got that survey over a week ago... I wonder why its staggered?

3 minutes ago, BumbleB said:

I got that survey over a week ago... I wonder why its staggered?

daily email sending quota limitation? :P

Edited by SysEvo

Oooh boy. Just had my first application fiasco. I wanted to apply to UIC master's program in Biosciences (as a backup if I don't get into a PhD program) and they JUST e-mailed me saying they aren't offering a masters...even though it's on their website and the application! OOF!!! Sooo...looks like I'm applying to UIC GEMS instead. Does anyone know how competitive this program is? This was supposed to be my safety.