2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

6 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

If you apply to 8 ish schools were you are competitive rather than a sure thing, you will have 3-6 good options come interview time.  I think you can reasonably apply to schools you listed and schools of their same caliber.  Both the others that I listed before and that @PlanB listed will be really good choices to look at to try and narrow down your list.  Don't worry so much about long reach v. short reach (the difference is minute and you will probably have schools of both on your final list).  As long as you don't have your hopes set on one school only, you should be fine.  Just don't get starstruck with one particular school (like I did with Harvard) and keep an open mind as you investigate.  If you were to apply to say WUSTL, Stanford, UCSF, UW, Vanderbilt, Emory, UPitt, Weill Cornell, UCLA, and Yale, you would have a good mix of interviews.  Right now, you might want to have a running list of ~15 schools then pare it down to 8-10 based on your evaluations of their research focus, funding, location, and graduate placement.  The list I have above is just what I personally consider to be varied and doable.  Don't be too hard on yourself and focus on writing really good applications to each and everyone

Awesome advice guys @biochemgirl67 and @PlanB! I am so glad I posted here because I definitely feel like I have a better grasp of what I should do now. I'll probably get some of my professors' opinions to help me narrow down my final list after I create a long list. I'll keep you guys posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Undergrad Institution: UNM mid-size state school

Major(s): Biochemistry

Minor(s): Math

Overall GPA: 3.77

Position in Class: not sure

Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores: Taking at the start of the June

Q:

V:

W:

B:

Research Experience: 

Lab assistant in molecular genetics lab on campus

Novartis Summer Intern 2015 (hoping to get a paper out, but not sure if it’ll happen before I apply)

Scripps Summer Intern 2016

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  STEM Tutor

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Ill have good LORs from two PIs and not sure on a third one yet.

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS

Stanford Biosciences

UC Berkeley Bioengineering

UCSF pharmaceutical sciences

U Minnesota Pharmaceutical sciences

MAYO

U Mass Amherst Molecular and cell bio

Tufts pharmacology

Boston U Pharmacology

UC Denver cancer bio, pharma, or HMGG

U Washington Pharmaceutics or genome sciences

U Penn pharmacology or bioengineering

UT Austin pharmaceuticals

RICE Biochemistry

I am interested in pharma as well as bioengineering and I think my math course have prepared me well enough for that latter field. I have a lot of schools I am interested in but probably wont apply to all of them to due fee costs. I haven’t taken the GRE yet but I think I will due well due to my math background (fingers crossed).

I am concerned about getting into the schools above due to my average GPA and lack of publications. I am not sure what to consider “safe school” and I would appreciate any suggestions as well as recommendations to other safe schools.

25 minutes ago, coffeenchem said:

Undergrad Institution: UNM mid-size state school

Major(s): Biochemistry

Minor(s): Math

Overall GPA: 3.77

Position in Class: not sure

Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores: Taking at the start of the June

Q:

V:

W:

B:

Research Experience: 

Lab assistant in molecular genetics lab on campus

Novartis Summer Intern 2015 (hoping to get a paper out, but not sure if it’ll happen before I apply)

Scripps Summer Intern 2016

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  STEM Tutor

Ill have good LORs from two PIs and not sure on a third one yet.

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Applying to Where:

Harvard BBS

Stanford Biosciences

UC Berkeley Bioengineering

UCSF pharmaceutical sciences

U Minnesota Pharmaceutical sciences

MAYO

U Mass Amherst Molecular and cell bio

Tufts pharmacology

Boston U Pharmacology

UC Denver cancer bio, pharma, or HMGG

U Washington Pharmaceutics or genome sciences

U Penn pharmacology or bioengineering

UT Austin pharmaceuticals

RICE Biochemistry

I am interested in pharma as well as bioengineering and I think my math course have prepared me well enough for that latter field. I have a lot of schools I am interested in but probably wont apply to all of them to due fee costs. I haven’t taken the GRE yet but I think I will due well due to my math background (fingers crossed).

I am concerned about getting into the schools above due to my average GPA and lack of publications. I am not sure what to consider “safe school” and I would appreciate any suggestions as well as recommendations to other safe schools.

For how long have you done research? Who is writing your rec letters? Bioengineering and Pharmacology are typically programs that have different requirements and averages, so make sure you are eligible to apply. In terms of publications, those are not really needed. I think you should cut your list in half and only pick the schools you would truly be content with going to. There is no such thing as a "safetu" school for graduate studies since your professional training is at stake and you should choose places where you'll be satisfied with the quality of the research, and the environment. 

7 minutes ago, Ph0t0_o_matic said:

Since when is a 3.77 GPA average? and that is an insane # of schools to apply to - - especially the types of schools. 

Averages depend on the types of school the applicant is applying to. Overall, that GPA is great, but it won't truly set him/her apart. The types of classes the applicant took might cause an impression though.

8 minutes ago, Ph0t0_o_matic said:

Since when is a 3.77 GPA average? and that is an insane # of schools to apply to - - especially the types of schools. 

I'm a random visitee to the biology boards, but someone in the Fall 2016 application cycle applied to over 20 programs.

I think it's not inadvisable to apply to as many programs as is feasible, but applying to programs takes a lot more work than it seems. But hey, if someone wants to put in the work, more power to them. :) 

4 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

For how long have you done research? Who is writing your rec letters? Bioengineering and Pharmacology are typically programs that have different requirements and averages, so make sure you are eligible to apply. In terms of publications, those are not really needed. I think you should cut your list in half and only pick the schools you would truly be content with going to. There is no such thing as a "safetu" school for graduate studies since your professional training is at stake and you should choose places where you'll be satisfied with the quality of the research, and the environment. 

My first research was for a year and then my other have been summer positions in industry labs. The PIs have written my letters as well as a bio professor all of which seem to be good letters. 

I realize that those are very distinct program but my biochemistry and biology classes have prepared me for pharm and my math and comp sci meet the requirements for bioengineering. 

3 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

Averages depend on the types of school the applicant is applying to. Overall, that GPA is great, but it won't truly set him/her apart. The types of classes the applicant took might cause an impression though.

What types of classes would cause an impression for admissions?

9 minutes ago, coffeenchem said:

What types of classes would cause an impression for admissions?

Graduate level classes, or very high upper level undergrad courses. Of course, they can cause a positive or negative impression based on how you did.

Edited by Bioenchilada

Undergrad Institution: Public University  USNEWS top30, have some reputation in Biology I think

Major(s): Double major in Chemistry & Computer Science

Minor(s): Biology(Maybe, I not sure if I have enough time to finish)

GPA in Major: 3.6 Chem and 3.8 in CS

Overall GPA: 3.6

Position in Class: Totally not sure...

Type of Student: International Asian Student

GRE Scores (revised/old version): planned to take this summer, estimated to be around 325, not sure  about sub

Q:

V:

W:

B:

TOEFL Total: 

I think I can waive it for most program.

Research Experience: 

A technical university in Beijing,  Organic Synthesis, 1yr, no publication.  

My current school, Biosynthesis, 1 semester and this summer, no pub yet.

I'm considering about deferring my application to 18 Fall because I don't have any pub yet which seems to be a weakness.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Dean's List and somethings not that important

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Some entrepreneurship activities in Enactus and took part in some business competition during the fresh and sop years.

Special Bonus Points: 

The PI of my current lab is willing to write a strong LOR for me and I'm not sure about the other 2. Maybe one from a prof who taught me several upper-level undergrad courses. Still looking for another.

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller - MOLECULAR AND CELL BIOLOGY
UCSF - Tetrad
HMS - Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Cornell Weil - Biomed
UCSD - Biological Science
Duke - Biochemistry 
UNC - Biochemistry and Biophysics

Umich - Biochem
UCLA - Chemistry&Biochemistry 
NWU - Biochemistry/ Molecular Genetics
Brown - Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry

Edited by Luptior

16 minutes ago, PlanB said:

A lack of publications will not hurt you in the admissions process. Most interviewers will not expect undergraduate students to be published.  Your GPA is fine, however, not competitive for most of the schools you have listed. I think you have a reasonable chance of gaining admissions to most of the schools you listed. 

Couldn't disagree with you more about gpa. Once you get past an A- average (3.67) gpa is a meaningless statistic imo. At that point it matters more about what you took, which is the reason you send the adcom a full transcript... 

15 hours ago, Luptior said:

Undergrad Institution: Public University  USNEWS top30, have some reputation in Biology I think

Major(s): Double major in Chemistry & Computer Science

Minor(s): Biology(Maybe, I not sure if I have enough time to finish)

GPA in Major: 3.6 Chem and 3.8 in CS

Overall GPA: 3.6

Position in Class: Totally not sure...

Type of Student: International Asian Student

GRE Scores (revised/old version): planned to take this summer, estimated to be around 325, not sure  about sub

Q:

V:

W:

B:

TOEFL Total: 

I think I can waive it for most program.

Research Experience: 

A technical university in Beijing,  Organic Synthesis, 1yr, no publication.  

My current school, Biosynthesis, 1 semester and this summer, no pub yet.

I'm considering about deferring my application to 18 Fall because I don't have any pub yet which seems to be a weakness.

Dean's List and somethings not that important

Some entrepreneurship activities in Enactus and took part in some business competition during the fresh and sop years.

Special Bonus Points: 

The PI of my current lab is willing to write a strong LOR for me and I'm not sure about the other 2. Maybe one from a prof who taught me several upper-level undergrad courses. Still looking for another.

Applying to Where:

Rockefeller - MOLECULAR AND CELL BIOLOGY
UCSF - Tetrad
HMS - Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Cornell Weil - Biomed
UCSD - Biological Science
Duke - Biochemistry 
UNC - Biochemistry and Biophysics

Umich - Biochem
UCLA - Chemistry&Biochemistry 
NWU - Biochemistry/ Molecular Genetics
Brown - Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry

I think that you're applying to too many top programs and your stats are really not up to par with the caliber of the programs. You don't need a publication to get into those schools, but you'd benefit from getting more experience. Have you taken a lot of upper level biology courses? Because not doing so could hurt you in admissions since your background is Chemistry. Of course, this changes if you plan to do biochem. Your GPA is not bad by any means, but it'd be average at best for the programs you're applying to. Your rec letters would also probs not help a lot since you only have one from a PI. In my opinion, I think that either you apply to a broader range of schools, or you work on strengthening your profile. I really don't know how international admissions work, but I've heard it's typically significantly more competitive. 

50 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I think that you're applying to too many top programs and your stats are really not up to par with the caliber of the programs. You don't need a publication to get into those schools, but you'd benefit from getting more experience. Have you taken a lot of upper level biology courses? Because not doing so could hurt you in admissions since your background is Chemistry. Of course, this changes if you plan to do biochem. Your GPA is not bad by any means, but it'd be average at best for the programs you're applying to. Your rec letters would also probs not help a lot since you only have one from a PI. In my opinion, I think that either you apply to a broader range of schools, or you work on strengthening your profile. I really don't know how international admissions work, but I've heard it's typically significantly more competitive. 

Yeah, I think I'll choose just some of the top programs which I'm interesting at most but definitely impossible to all of them. Yeah, research experience is a big problem, so I'm considering deferring graduation one semester. Which gives me extra one summer and one semester. And actually I choose the biochemistry pathway under the Chemistry program so the upper-level courses are all biochem related. And I do have a plan to take some intro grad level course in med school since they're open to undergrads, if the grad courses on curriculum will help a little bit? As to LOR, I'm not sure how to get LORs from other PIs, since if I choose to stay in my current lab and which I think is a better choice since I've involved a lot and interested in their field. So normally people get more LORs from summer research at other institutions or ?

2 minutes ago, Luptior said:

Yeah, I think I'll choose just some of the top programs which I'm interesting at most but definitely impossible to all of them. Yeah, research experience is a big problem, so I'm considering deferring graduation one semester. Which gives me extra one summer and one semester. And actually I choose the biochemistry pathway under the Chemistry program so the upper-level courses are all biochem related. And I do have a plan to take some intro grad level course in med school since they're open to undergrads, if the grad courses on curriculum will help a little bit? As to LOR, I'm not sure how to get LORs from other PIs, since if I choose to stay in my current lab and which I think is a better choice since I've involved a lot and interested in their field. So normally people get more LORs from summer research at other institutions or ?

Imo i wouldn't push off graduation just to get a little research experience. I would graduate and take a job as a tech somewhere for a year or two. I'd also try to nail down what type of research you want to do as well, because you have a broad range of program types you are applying to. 

1 minute ago, ballwera said:

Imo i wouldn't push off graduation just to get a little research experience. I would graduate and take a job as a tech somewhere for a year or two. I'd also try to nail down what type of research you want to do as well, because you have a broad range of program types you are applying to. 

I agree with this. This way you can get your first LOR from your current PI, the second from an undergraduate professor, and the third from the PI you tech for. Those were the LORs I had applying this recent cycle and they definitely helped me throughout the process. 

17 minutes ago, Luptior said:

Yeah, it's either summer internships or by being a tech. I'd suggest applying to tech positions after graduating in order to get the additional experience, as suggested by the other posters.

Undergrad Institution: Big 10 Public School - great reputation in research and bio
Major(s): Biology - Emphasis in Neuroscience
Minor(s): -
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA:3.21
Position in Class: -
Type of Student: Domestic White Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 168
W: 5
B: Above 85th percentile, should be fine?

Research Experience:

2 years in undergrad working in an epigenetics lab.  Lab wasn't very productive, but learned a lot of wet lab skills.  

(Main lab)1.5 years in undergrad + 3 years post-bacc working in a lab doing electrophysiology (tons of optogenetics) in mice.  3 papers, 2 second author (one at a very high impact journal), 1 first author, 2 posters at conferences

1.5 years in undergrad + 2 years post-bacc working part time in another lab doing TMS/EEG on human subjects.  1 paper, middle author

In sum, around 6 years of consistent research (3 years undergrad, 3 years post-grad)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Made Dean's List final two semesters, although this probably doesn't amount to much

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Neuroscience outreach through graduate program on campus

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Huge turnover after a year being an RA in my big lab of all postdocs.  Ended up training most of the new postdocs in mouse surgeries and experimental procedures.  Basically functioned as a graduate student for my three years of being in the lab after graduating.  I won't mention this on my app, but I think it will give me an edge of confidence (without being cocky of course!) 

Special Bonus Points: Took grad level neuroscience courses through undergrad, and took two semesters of grad level intro neuroscience courses after graduating (got an A in both).  3 very strong LORs with extremely well connected PIs, one is an absolute top dog in the field I am in currently.  Very strong connections with 2/3 letter writers at UCSD especially, and at Harvard, and one LOR has a connection at UPenn. We have met/discussed a potential role for me in his lab.  

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA is a hurdle that I attempted to get over by performing good research and getting some publications under my belt.  My GPA my first three years was terribly average (3.0 consistently every semester, yikes) but my senior year I achieved a 4.0 both semesters, and got As in my graduate level classes post-bacc that were relevant to my field.  I did so-so on my intro neuroscience courses in undergrad, so I thought that this would bolster my app.  I also did poorly in my intro bio classes, so I took the bio GRE to show that I am capable of mastering intro bio material.  I know this is the biggest knife in my application, but hopefully by achieving higher scores once I got my act together, I can show adcoms that I am a capable scientist who will have no problems balancing coursework and research.  If anyone has any suggestions of things I could work on before applying, they would be appreciated!

Applying to Where:
Still considering waiting another year.  My boyfriend is finishing up medical school and I'd like to wait to see where he matches next year.

List goes from HUGE REACH to potentially attainable.  I have a large amount of reaches on my list, but let's assume I have enough free time to apply and money to spend on each application.  Any suggestions on places *not* in the Midwest are greatly appreciated, as I am still doing research on places to apply:  

(All neuro programs)
Harvard
Stanford
UCSD
UPenn
UC Berkeley 
Duke
UNC-CH
UC Davis
UMass - Amherst
UC Boulder

Edited by somino42

23 minutes ago, somino42 said:

Undergrad Institution: Big 10 Public School - great reputation in research and bio
GPA in Major: 

Research Experience:

2 years in undergrad working in an epigenetics lab.  Lab wasn't very productive, but learned a lot of wet lab skills.  

(Main lab)1.5 years in undergrad + 3 years post-bacc working in a lab doing electrophysiology (tons of optogenetics) in mice.  3 papers, 2 second author (one at a very high impact journal), 1 first author, 2 posters at conferences

1.5 years in undergrad + 2 years post-bacc working part time in another lab doing TMS/EEG on human subjects.  1 paper, middle author

In sum, around 6 years of consistent research (3 years undergrad, 3 years post-grad)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Made Dean's List final two semesters, although this probably doesn't amount to much

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Neuroscience outreach through graduate program on campus

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Huge turnover after a year being an RA in my big lab of all postdocs.  Ended up training most of the new postdocs in mouse surgeries and experimental procedures.  Basically functioned as a graduate student for my three years of being in the lab after graduating.  I won't mention this on my app, but I think it will give me an edge of confidence (without being cocky of course!) 

Special Bonus Points: Took grad level neuroscience courses through undergrad, and took two semesters of grad level intro neuroscience courses after graduating (got an A in both).  3 very strong LORs with extremely well connected PIs, one is an absolute top dog in the field I am in currently.  Very strong connections with 2/3 letter writers at UCSD especially, and at Harvard, and one LOR has a connection at UPenn. We have met/discussed a potential role for me in his lab.  

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: GPA is a hurdle that I attempted to get over by performing good research and getting some publications under my belt.  My GPA my first three years was terribly average (3.0 consistently every semester, yikes) but my senior year I achieved a 4.0 both semesters, and got As in my graduate level classes post-bacc that were relevant to my field.  I did so-so on my intro neuroscience courses in undergrad, so I thought that this would bolster my app.  I also did poorly in my intro bio classes, so I took the bio GRE to show that I am capable of mastering intro bio material.  I know this is the biggest knife in my application, but hopefully by achieving higher scores once I got my act together, I can show adcoms that I am a capable scientist who will have no problems balancing coursework and research.  If anyone has any suggestions of things I could work on before applying, they would be appreciated!

Applying to Where:
Still considering waiting another year.  My boyfriend is finishing up medical school and I'd like to wait to see where he matches next year.

List goes from HUGE REACH to potentially attainable.  I have a large amount of reaches on my list, but let's assume I have enough free time to apply and money to spend on each application.  Any suggestions on places *not* in the Midwest are greatly appreciated, as I am still doing research on places to apply:  

(All neuro programs)
Harvard
Stanford
UCSD
UPenn
UC Berkeley 
Duke
UNC-CH
UC Davis
UMass - Amherst
UC Boulder

Your overal profile is impressive and you're well aware of your weaknesses and strengths. Your only actual weakness is your GPA, but you compensate for it with experience, LORs, and diversity in your academics. I think your list is also realitisic. You'll definitely get interviews in most of them. 

By the way, do you go to UM? ;) 

Undergrad Institution: UNC Greensboro

Degree: BA Psychology, Minor: Biology (Graduated May 2015)

Psychology GPA: 3.70

2nd Degree: BS Biochemistry started in the Fall of 2015 (Do not plan to complete because I need to be done by the Spring of 2017 for financial reasons but will be only 2 classes short) During this time I also completed upper level and graduate level biology courses to have an unofficial major in biology (couldn’t major because I minored in it).  

Overall GPA: 3.14

Position in Class: No idea

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Graduate courses completed: Epigenetics, Developmental Psychobiology, Drugs in the brain.

Retaking because my last scores were not what I need… plus ETS seems to have lost all record of my scores.

Research Interests: In graduate school I hope to learn more about molecular signaling in the brain and how differential signaling can lead to different developmental trajectories. My research interests can be summarized by three questions: What are the changes in molecular signaling caused by drugs that may lead to epigenetic alterations? Do these epigenetic changes lead to alterations in neuronal connectivity? If connectivity is altered, how does this change the behavior of the organism?

Research Experience: 

1 year research assistant in a cognitive aging lab.

About 2 years working as a research assistant in a developmental psychobiology lab focused on the development of handedness. I was able to have 1 first author abstract publication, and 1 third author abstract publication, which resulted in poster presentations at conferences and research expos.

I just joined my schools molecular toxicology lab and will have 1 year experience studying damage to a toxicants effects on DNA before entering a PhD program.

Dean’s list for 2 semesters.

UNCG Undergraduate Research and Creativity Travel Award

NIH Sponsored Travel Award

Student member of the International Society for Developmental Psychobiology for 2 years.

Supplemental Instruction Program Leader for Biopsychology for 2 semesters.

College Reading & Learning Association certified tutor. I tutored students in biopsychology, behavioral statistics, and cognitive psychology. 

Special Bonus Points:

Emailed back and forth fairly extensively with a certain program admissions director. My recommenders know me very well (relates to my next point).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am not particularly good at lower level courses for some reason, and due to having taken so many classes over my academic career my GPA is only able to increase very slowly with each semester. I’m hoping the graduate school will clearly see that I do not struggle in upper level courses (I plan to highlight this in my personal statement).

Applying to Where:

Vanderbilt IGP

LSU Interdisciplinary program

Wake Forest Neuroscience OR Physiology & Pharmacology

UNC Chapel Hill Behavioral Neuroscience OR BBSP

Mt Sinai Neuroscience OR Biomedical Sciences Program 

Emory Pharmacology or Neuroscience?

I'm looking for some advice on possible other programs to look into. I realize my past research experience is not typical of someone interested in neuropharmacology or epigenetics. However, I can explain clearly why I choose these research experiences and how they relate to my research goals. Also, UNCG is not the best institution for someone with my research interests and I have talked to every relevant professor at my school from the psychology, biology, and chemistry departments about career advice and made the best of the opportunities I had. 

On 5/16/2016 at 1:37 PM, somino42 said:

GPA in Major: 

Research Experience:

Applying to Where:

(All neuro programs)
Harvard
Stanford
UCSD
UPenn
UC Berkeley 
Duke
UNC-CH
UC Davis
UMass - Amherst
UC Boulder

I think you have a very strong profile, but as you've pointed out, your GPA is going to be your Achille's heel. It's hard to say whether or not your GPA will prevent your application from even being reviewed (some people on this thread say yes...others say no...) but regardless, I would just make sure you explain it well in your SOP.

I would also suggest adding UCSF to your potential list of schools. They have a strong neuro program there (plus cost of living is on par with Berkeley and Palo Alto anways).

1 hour ago, Ferroportin said:

I would also suggest adding UCSF to your potential list of schools. They have a strong neuro program there (plus cost of living is on par with Berkeley and Palo Alto anways).

We're not biased at all ;)

19 hours ago, localsciencedealer said:

Undergrad Institution: UNC Greensboro

Degree: BA Psychology, Minor: Biology (Graduated May 2015)

Psychology GPA: 3.70

2nd Degree: BS Biochemistry started in the Fall of 2015 (Do not plan to complete because I need to be done by the Spring of 2017 for financial reasons but will be only 2 classes short) During this time I also completed upper level and graduate level biology courses to have an unofficial major in biology (couldn’t major because I minored in it).  

Overall GPA: 3.14

Position in Class: No idea

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Graduate courses completed: Epigenetics, Developmental Psychobiology, Drugs in the brain.

Retaking because my last scores were not what I need… plus ETS seems to have lost all record of my scores.

Research Interests: In graduate school I hope to learn more about molecular signaling in the brain and how differential signaling can lead to different developmental trajectories. My research interests can be summarized by three questions: What are the changes in molecular signaling caused by drugs that may lead to epigenetic alterations? Do these epigenetic changes lead to alterations in neuronal connectivity? If connectivity is altered, how does this change the behavior of the organism?

Research Experience: 

1 year research assistant in a cognitive aging lab.

About 2 years working as a research assistant in a developmental psychobiology lab focused on the development of handedness. I was able to have 1 first author abstract publication, and 1 third author abstract publication, which resulted in poster presentations at conferences and research expos.

I just joined my schools molecular toxicology lab and will have 1 year experience studying damage to a toxicants effects on DNA before entering a PhD program.

Dean’s list for 2 semesters.

UNCG Undergraduate Research and Creativity Travel Award

NIH Sponsored Travel Award

Student member of the International Society for Developmental Psychobiology for 2 years.

Supplemental Instruction Program Leader for Biopsychology for 2 semesters.

College Reading & Learning Association certified tutor. I tutored students in biopsychology, behavioral statistics, and cognitive psychology. 

Special Bonus Points:

Emailed back and forth fairly extensively with a certain program admissions director. My recommenders know me very well (relates to my next point).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am not particularly good at lower level courses for some reason, and due to having taken so many classes over my academic career my GPA is only able to increase very slowly with each semester. I’m hoping the graduate school will clearly see that I do not struggle in upper level courses (I plan to highlight this in my personal statement).

Applying to Where:

Vanderbilt IGP

LSU Interdisciplinary program

Wake Forest Neuroscience OR Physiology & Pharmacology

UNC Chapel Hill Behavioral Neuroscience OR BBSP

Mt Sinai Neuroscience OR Biomedical Sciences Program 

Emory Pharmacology or Neuroscience?

I'm looking for some advice on possible other programs to look into. I realize my past research experience is not typical of someone interested in neuropharmacology or epigenetics. However, I can explain clearly why I choose these research experiences and how they relate to my research goals. Also, UNCG is not the best institution for someone with my research interests and I have talked to every relevant professor at my school from the psychology, biology, and chemistry departments about career advice and made the best of the opportunities I had. 

The only problem with your profile is that your second major GPA is so low for the schools you've listed.  A molecular biology-based program is going to pay attention to your achievements in molecular science ie biochemistry.

Your research experience is nice, but isn't actually related to your goals except for the lab you just joined.  Unfortunately, adcoms won't really consider this in terms of LoRs because you will only have a few months experience by the time you apply.  The only reason these the disparity between your research experience and goals even matters is because it would show that you could be successful in your chosen field.  I would therefore recommend you expand the net you're casting.  At least 4/6 schools you've listed are leaders in their fields and extremely competitive.  You WILL have people ask why you've chosen the molecular signaling of the brain because of your experience in psychology research.  Apply to umbrella programs as well.  It'll help immensely.

You might get into the schools you've listed, or you might have a harder time.  No one can really tell you that.  I'd diversify your targets.

44 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

The only problem with your profile is that your second major GPA is so low for the schools you've listed.  A molecular biology-based program is going to pay attention to your achievements in molecular science ie biochemistry.

Your research experience is nice, but isn't actually related to your goals except for the lab you just joined.  Unfortunately, adcoms won't really consider this in terms of LoRs because you will only have a few months experience by the time you apply.  The only reason these the disparity between your research experience and goals even matters is because it would show that you could be successful in your chosen field.  I would therefore recommend you expand the net you're casting.  At least 4/6 schools you've listed are leaders in their fields and extremely competitive.  You WILL have people ask why you've chosen the molecular signaling of the brain because of your experience in psychology research.  Apply to umbrella programs as well.  It'll help immensely.

You might get into the schools you've listed, or you might have a harder time.  No one can really tell you that.  I'd diversify your targets.

I appreciate the reply! I think I explained my GPA poorly... let me reword. My Total GPA for both degrees is a 3.14 and can't move much due to having so many classes from my first degree deflating it. My GPA for my second degree is more like a 3.4/3.5 but soon to be coming up (just took physics for the first time and struggled and have not yet taken biochemistry)! I can thoroughly explain why I have the research experience I do because I wasn't necessarily interested in molecular biology at first. I am definitely trying to go for more umbrella/interdisciplinary programs as I've been trained to think interdisciplinary. Any good interdisciplinary/umbrella program recommendations? 

26 minutes ago, localsciencedealer said:

I appreciate the reply! I think I explained my GPA poorly... let me reword. My Total GPA for both degrees is a 3.14 and can't move much due to having so many classes from my first degree deflating it. My GPA for my second degree is more like a 3.4/3.5 but soon to be coming up (just took physics for the first time and struggled and have not yet taken biochemistry)! I can thoroughly explain why I have the research experience I do because I wasn't necessarily interested in molecular biology at first. I am definitely trying to go for more umbrella/interdisciplinary programs as I've been trained to think interdisciplinary. Any good interdisciplinary/umbrella program recommendations? 

Well obviously Vanderbilt IGP should stay on the list because I'm biased. :)

But honestly there's a lot of them.  I would start looking at schools such as University of Utah, Colorado State, university of Oregon, UTSW, university of Georgia, Penn state, and so forth.

You will definitely get into a good program, but the key is to apply widely because different programs evaluate differently.  Some schools want you to have previous, long term experience in the field (Harvard for me) and some will realize that they will give you the experience.  It's really all about applying to different types of schools/environments/programs so you have a good chance of finding a fit.