Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

3,013 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, ndjc17 said:

Has anyone who got an invite to Stanford biosciences immunology on Dec. 20 received the formal invite from biosciences that the email mentioned?

I haven't either. Emailed the contact person last week but she was out of the office. Guess that could have been why we're not hearing anything from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, pitchfork said:

I haven't either. Emailed the contact person last week but she was out of the office. Guess that could have been why we're not hearing anything from them.

Alright as long as it's not just me I'm not too worried!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bioenchilada said:

On my cycle, they invited a very small group and invites were sent on the same day about a week ago.

For anyone wondering, I just contacted the program administrator and she said that all the invites have been sent out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I'm in a very negative situation: one of my required computer science course holds on the mandatorily lab on Friday. I need to go to the lab to pass, and the lecturer refused to make any adjustments to accommodate the interviews; rather, he told me to move the interviews to Monday, which is totally impossible. What can I do? Will writing to the undergraduate program director help? Thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got the official rejection from MIT Biology :( 

#It only takes 56 words to break my heart.

Edited by MCF10A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

Now I'm in a very negative situation: one of my required computer science course holds on the mandatorily lab on Friday. I need to go to the lab to pass, and the lecturer refused to make any adjustments to accommodate the interviews; rather, he told me to move the interviews to Monday, which is totally impossible. What can I do? Will writing to the undergraduate program director help? Thanks a lot!

Now, I don't know your institution, but I would go to the CS department chair or Academic Dean and be like "Man, you guys are supposed to be giving me a future, not screwing it up". Maybe in slightly better terms than that, but yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oddich55 said:

It goes by program, but at this point, I think your chances are a little low - I would go ahead and book your other interview.

I heard about a week ago for Biomedical Informatics - all who got invites heard within an hour of eachother. Granted, Biomedical Informatics is a much smaller program than Cancer Bio, but should work similarly.

Just out of curiosity, have you received an email from Stanford BMI yet?

Edited by abc0111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, abc0111 said:

Just out of curiosity, have you received an email from Stanford yet?

For travel arrangements and such from Molecular Biosciences? Yep =).

I head back maybe Thursday last week? The original invitation was a week and a half ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

For travel arrangements and such from Molecular Biosciences? Yep =).

I head back maybe Thursday last week? The original invitation was a week and a half ago.

I meant Stanford BMI, but I assume the email invitation was also sent more than a week ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, abc0111 said:

I meant Stanford BMI, but I assume the email invitation was also sent more than a week ago?

Called with invite to interview for BMI a week and a half ago. Email invitation received around a week ago. Logistical email from umbrella (Molecular Biosciences Program) end of last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone going to USC tomorrow? (: I look forward to seeing you there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SysEvo said:

Now I'm in a very negative situation: one of my required computer science course holds on the mandatorily lab on Friday. I need to go to the lab to pass, and the lecturer refused to make any adjustments to accommodate the interviews; rather, he told me to move the interviews to Monday, which is totally impossible. What can I do? Will writing to the undergraduate program director help? Thanks a lot!

That's annoying. Calling the director could be helpful but perhaps your advisor or somebody knows you much better could make your voice heard more easily. Personally I would suggest to communicate again with the course lecturer to see if he can be reasonable since he would be one in charge after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, cuteDr22 said:

Regarding Roswell Park, they just contacted me via email to say my transcript was blank. So i just sent them a copy. Sounds like they are still working on the applications.

just wanted to let you know that there was an update in mine, it says its under review now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Katyya said:

WHAT

ditto - I def did not get any invite, Skype or otherwise, from upenn... sigh.

2 hours ago, MCF10A said:

Just got the official rejection from MIT Biology :( 

#It only takes 56 words to break my heart.

saw you put u Chicago as doomed - did you ever hear from them?

So far now, I've been invited to Wisconsin Madison, Emory, and WashU, and never heard a peep from Northwestern, UPenn, and UChicago...

Edited by Pepperoni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

INTERVIEW AT UIC GEMS!! I am in shock!! For those wondering if you can overcome a 2.6uGPA, apparently you can!!! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LoveMysterious said:

INTERVIEW AT UIC GEMS!! I am in shock!! For those wondering if you can overcome a 2.6uGPA, apparently you can!!! :)

Really happy for you!  That's amazing!  I'm also coming from a lower uGPA side, but hoping my Masters helps with admissions! 

Edited by BigThomason51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it fair to assume that anyone who hasn't received an invite from Vanderbilt IGP is rejected? I heard they do rolling invites but it seems a little late for that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kaede said:

Has anyone heard from UCLA Biosciences?

I heard from UCLA Biosciences on 12/28. The interview weekends I was offered were 1/20-21 or 2/24-25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, eyesandheart said:

I heard from UCLA Biosciences on 12/28. The interview weekends I was offered were 1/20-21 or 2/24-25.

Thank you! Which program did you apply to?

Edited by Kaede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abcd1 said:

Is it fair to assume that anyone who hasn't received an invite from Vanderbilt IGP is rejected? I heard they do rolling invites but it seems a little late for that now.

I actually just got an email interview invite a few hours back. So maybe, there's still hope.

Edited by Kvothe~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pepperoni said:

ditto - I def did not get any invite, Skype or otherwise, from upenn... sigh.

saw you put u Chicago as doomed - did you ever hear from them?

So far now, I've been invited to Wisconsin Madison, Emory, and WashU, and never heard a peep from Northwestern, UPenn, and UChicago...

No. Absolute silence from the Windy City. But the Penn skype interview actually gives me some hope on UChicago. Maybe UChicago cancer bio will review the whole intl pool and send out skype interviews later (just as UPenn did)? There's hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BigThomason51 said:

Really happy for you!  That's amazing!  I'm also coming from a lower uGPA side, but hoping my Masters helps with admissions! 

Thank you :). I did a post-bacc program, which really helped me out. Good luck to you as well!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, desmond.bo said:

That's annoying. Calling the director could be helpful but perhaps your advisor or somebody knows you much better could make your voice heard more easily. Personally I would suggest to communicate again with the course lecturer to see if he can be reasonable since he would be one in charge after all.

I can tell from all his bragging about himself during the lecture that he has very high ego. He refused my proposal of adjustments quite arbitrarily and rudely, so I don't think talk to him again will make any differences. Also my research mentor is not in CS so he won't be very helpful. I have emailed both the academic advisors and the program directors, asking if I can take an equivalent course in my PhD institute and transfer the credits back...I have a BS in biochem anyway so even if I can't get this course to work, I still can go to grad school... Now I'm also worried that even if the lecturer eventually agrees to make adjustments because of the department's intervene, he could give very low scores on my writing assignments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oddich55 said:

Now, I don't know your institution, but I would go to the CS department chair or Academic Dean and be like "Man, you guys are supposed to be giving me a future, not screwing it up". Maybe in slightly better terms than that, but yeah.

I emailed them and probably will go to see the academic advisor in person tomorrow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SysEvo said:

I emailed them and probably will go to see the academic advisor in person tomorrow...

Best of luck. 

I know at my university, that's all it ever takes and problems are usually resolved. I hope they are for you as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now